Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
sbabolat
sbabolat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for a reader ... hesitating between 2!

Hi,

I am looking at ereader for quite some time now. I thought they were a little expensive at first.

But now, I am really looking at the Sony prs 505 and the hanlin v3.

The Sony is going down in prices lately - around 260, and it starts to be appealing.

Just a few questions:
I will use it for casual reading but :
- does it come with an ac adapter or just the usb cable that also charges ?
- does it come with a "cover" and will it be sufficient to protect it ? (I am always carefull about all my electronics)

I am just a casual reader - a book now and then. Mostly pdfs for magazines and newspaper sometimes.

Which one would be best ?

S.
sbabolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabolat View Post
Hi,

I am looking at ereader for quite some time now. I thought they were a little expensive at first.

But now, I am really looking at the Sony prs 505 and the hanlin v3.

The Sony is going down in prices lately - around 260, and it starts to be appealing.

Just a few questions:
I will use it for casual reading but :
- does it come with a "cover" and will it be sufficient to protect it ? (I am always carefull about all my electronics)

I am just a casual reader - a book now and then. Mostly pdfs for magazines and newspaper sometimes.

S.
Hello, S., and welcome to MobileRead. You'll find lots of answers here, and friendly people as well.

In the meantime, look at the books uploaded here for your reading pleasure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Hi,
Hello an welcome. No doubt they are a "little" expensive.

Quote:
No, it does not come with an A/C adapter. It comes with the USB cable which will also charge it. You can also buy a PSP charger (no name) for about $9.99 on line or at places like Walmart.

It does come with a cover, but it is more of a dust cover type thing than something that will physically protect it from hard knocks.

Quote:
Between those two I would recommend the Sony, especially if you are in the US.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
sbabolat

Thanks a lot!

price wise, they are actually better than they were a few years ago. Still looking for that $200 device

the Sony is approaching this, little by little.

yep, I am in the USA. So Sony would be the best choice ?

And it will be best to get a cover for it ? (especially is carried in a book bag?)
If so which one ?

Sebastien
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Still looking for that $200 device
With a Sony Visa card, you can buy the Sony for $299 as your first Sony Style purchase and get $100 card credit. See the rules here. That's what I did (though I haven't yet seen the card credit, as I just bought the 505 last week).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks a lot!

price wise, they are actually better than they were a few years ago. Still looking for that $200 device

the Sony is approaching this, little by little.

yep, I am in the USA. So Sony would be the best choice ?

And it will be best to get a cover for it ? (especially is carried in a book bag?)
If so which one ?

Sebastien
It does come with a cover, but the stock one would probably not be enough in a backpack. The cheap way of fixing this is to wrap it in a sweatshirt But there are heavy duty cases available.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
johanm
johanm began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (Hanlin v3) and iPod Touch
If you are a casual reader and you want to read magazines (pdf) I suggest you use your pc or laptop, maybe an iPhone or iPod Touch if it must be something you can carry in your pouch. Magazines in pdf are very demanding: they are usauly A4 or letter size, small print, colored text on colored backgrounds, photos, ... So forget the BeBook (= Hanlin v3) (I have one) or Sony. Print is too small to read. You need an ebook reader with a bigger screen and more gray colors, but then the price doubles.
I occasionally read magazines (pdf) on my iPod Touch and that is okay, as long as it is not too long.
I advice against buying an ebook reader for magazines.

As to your other questions:
BeBook has no ac adapter, only USB cable.
BeBook comes with a very good leather cover.

I love my BeBook, but you can't read magazines on it.
johanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
sbabolat

Again thanks. You all have great input.

Well, as of today I read classic novels (in French and English) on my iphone. While it is nice, it is a bit small sometimes, and using third party software to load books, read them sometimes bugs me.

I will not just read magazines. I use my laptop or desktop for that.
Burt sometimes just few pages pdf.

I also have some texts from school (txt format and doc format) and was thinking about the ereader for my novels and those documents.

I am also using one note for note taking in class, and was thinking of saving/exporting the files in pdf or doc (or else) and study on the prs before an exam or during evening ....

I would just wish that a maker would have some partnership with college book editors to make all of those books available on their device (my 2d backpack is full of textbook!).

A friend of mine has a prs for work - book editor - (he is not around so I can not look at it), but he said that to find a page sometimes it takes a really long time.

I am also sacred of the refreshing time ....

Sebastien

PS: johanm you said you read pdf on the ipod. Do you use a third party software ? I find it painful for the pdf on the iphone (zoom, move left right to reasd an article ...)
Old 02-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
johanm

Sebastien,

The classic novels that you read on your iPhone, will (like from feedbooks) also be available for an ebook reader and will prove to be a more enjoyable read.
You can read txt and doc formats on the BeBook (Hanlin) and if you want more reading comfort you can export them (via OpenOffice Writer) to an optimized pdf (9x12cm) for more controle over the layout. Same for your notes I guess.

About pdf on the iPod. I mail them to myself, so I can read them offline. I use the default pdf viewer. the magazines have 2 columns of text per page, so I zoom in on 1 column, I only have to scroll down (not left to right) and then read the next column. It looks silly and is annoying when reading a pdf book that you have to scroll left and right too, just like you only have learned to read recently and have to use a finger to indicate the words you're reading. I only use it on bus or train or in waiting room for dentist, doctor, ... for those odd moments, not for prolonged reading.

Johan
Old 02-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
sbabolat

Again thanks.

I hesitated for a moment, but i think an ereader can do it.

I also have acrobat pro, and could easily save and resize my notes in pdf for a 9x12 - now i have to figure the cm vs the inch! Tough as usual for a French person in the USA

Which is 3.5x4.7" - what letter format is it ? (in the choice given in word or else ?)

does the prs 505 have the same dimension for reading ?

Edit: how do you scale page in pdf pro ?
not possible ?

I can always use word i guess

Last edited by sbabolat; 02-07-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
johanm

Speaking for myself, hesitating and thinking it might do are not good arguments for spending that amount of money. You can always ask people with different ereaders to try out some of your documents or ebooks (i did so too) and send back a photo.
I have no idea if the size (3.54x4.72 inches, 0.05 inch margin) even has a name, I always use custom or user defined.
The prs 505 and cybook have same dimensions as the hanlin or bebook: 6 inches and same resolution.
I do not have pdf pro so i cannot answer that question.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post
I have no idea if the size (3.54x4.72 inches, 0.05 inch margin) even has a name, I always use custom or user defined.
The screen size is 90x120mm. Why make life difficult and quote it in inches with lots of horrible decimal places?

Quote:
The prs 505 and cybook have same dimensions as the hanlin or bebook: 6 inches and same resolution.
All the 6" devices use an identical screen. It's the only one available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
BJs (big discount store) has the Sony PRS-505 in their on-line store and I think someone on another forum indictated it comes with the adapter. The photo at this link seems to have the power adapter. Listed at $260 plus shipping. You can only get the silver.

http://shop.bjs.com/Sony-Reader-Digi...VVviewprod.htm
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote