Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #391
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You bathtub readers will be happy to know that Paperwhite passes the ziplock test. I'm able to operate it just fine while it is inside a standard Ziplock freezer bag. That's capacitative touch for you. Take that, Nook and Kobo!

Probably possible to design a waterproof case that allows underwater operation to some modest depth. Dive charts anyone?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #392
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
What I've noticed is not that it gets brighter but when the screen turns black, due to the refresh, there *seems* to be a flash because for a brief second the light goes out and then goes back on. This flash, or perhaps blink might be a better word, is what someone trying to sleep next you might notice. The level of the light from the Paperwhite doesn't change, there is no brownout. From my wife's perspective it's much better than me reading with the Touch's lighted cover.
My question is whether this effect is the same, better, or worse that using a case light on an unlighted e-ink screen?
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #393
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
My question is whether this effect is the same, better, or worse that using a case light on an unlighted e-ink screen?
From my wife's perspective (she really didn't like the Touch's case light) it's a major improvement. Note that I'm the one reading while she's the one trying to sleep .
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #394
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I think that the person that you're responding to was referring to the opposite effect.

On the K3 with lighted cover there's a brief "brownout" when changing pages where the light dims, which I never seem to notice when I'm reading, but notice a lot when my gf is reading on hers. My understanding on the paperwhite [which I've only seen mentioned, not in person] is that the screen blanking phase of refreshing causes the light to appear much brighter briefly, possibly equally annoying.
My K3 lighted cover doesn't exhibit any sort of light change when changing pages. I verified this just now by covering the screen with a sheet of paper and pressing the page buttons, and the light stayed the same on the paper the whole time. Maybe what you're noticing is a changing of the light reflected off the K3 when the screen refreshes.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #395
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Got mine on Wednesday, I've been using a K3 Keyboard for a long time, and before that a Sony PRS 500 and then 505.

Screen
The screens look about the same under normal room lighting, without the PW light on. My wife proclaimed the PW as being whiter, without me telling her which was which. My eyes seem to prefer the K3 as being slightly lighter, but I suspect that is because my K3 full refreshes each page.

I use an Octovo Solis book light for night reading, the PW blows that out of the water. I can set it nice and low and not bother the sleeping lady next to me, and the light is incredibly even, especially at low levels. I have noticed the slight shadowing on the bottom of the screen at high levels, but they disappear in sunlight, which is the only time I would use the light at those levels anyway.

Touch screen responsiveness is really good. and the screen resolution, while it will not be immediately noticeable, makes for beautiful font rendering. The original e-ink pearl screen is about 167 pixels per inch, the new one (based on 60% more pixels, it's a 1024x768 screen) is at around 213 ppi, and you can see the difference.

Hardware
If they had included physical page turn buttons, like the K3, this would, in fact, be the perfect e-reader for me. I get annoyed at having to move my thumb all the time to tap the screen, and the page turns every time I try to brush away cat fur (which lies in a layer about 3 feet thick in my house).

Performance is good, ergonomics (other than the aforementioned lack of buttons) is excellent, and even better with the cover. It feels tiny in comparison to my K3, the missing keyboard makes a big difference in feel. But it's surprisingly heavy.

Battery life is still unknown, but leaving the wireless on for a day visibly dropped the battery level, and I doubt it could go for more than a week with wireless on.

Software
Downloading my library from amazon was reasonably pain free and it synced my collections with no problems. Reading is the same as I'm used to, might be a little faster. With the default settings, there's some ghosting that builds up between the full refreshes. I've been using e-ink for so long that the reverse flash hasn't bothered me for years, so I may enable the full page refresh permanently.

Home screen is annoying, I'm used to 10 books a page, so going to 6 is a little painful, although the book cover art is a welcome change. I would still love a little more control over how books display in the home screens, including grouping books in a series together, preferably in series order.

X-Ray is nice, but I have trouble coming up with scenarios where I'd find it actually useful.

Turning wireless on and off is a pain, I would love for a top level menu option like I'm used to, since I perform this action multiple times a day, on average.

Conclusion
I'm very happy with the device, despite a few annoyances, and it makes a worthy successor to my K3 (with it's completely unused keyboard just taking up space and taunting me). The Kindle leather cover is well designed and I love the magnet-enabled instant on/off it allows. The light is light years (har har) ahead of any other book light I've used, including the wedge. Two thumbprints up.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #396
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You bathtub readers will be happy to know that Paperwhite passes the ziplock test. I'm able to operate it just fine while it is inside a standard Ziplock freezer bag. That's capacitative touch for you. Take that, Nook and Kobo!

Probably possible to design a waterproof case that allows underwater operation to some modest depth. Dive charts anyone?
That's good to know.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #397
Prokrypt
Prokrypt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

I suppose you haven't actually tested it under water though?
Try this: take a bottle of bottled water, hold it in your hand, and try to operate a capacitive touch screen with the corner of the base. If it works, then I don't think the touchscreen would work under water... Just a guess though.
Prokrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #398
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokrypt View Post
Try this: take a bottle of bottled water, hold it in your hand, and try to operate a capacitive touch screen with the corner of the base. If it works, then I don't think the touchscreen would work under water... Just a guess though.
I think as long as there was a big enough air gap between the kindle screen and the protective screen, it would work. So something stretchy, but not too stretchy. But that's a task for engineers...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #399
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
So, my PW arrived today and I may go for a replacement because of the following:
I can see a very bright light spot in the lower left hand corner no matter what light setting I use. It bothers me because I have to look past it to read the screen, so I have to cover it with my finger. Not good! It is next to the bezel and spans across two rows of text and the progress area. No matter which way I turn the kindle, I can still see it. It is just so darn bright. I wonder if the light diode was misinstalled. Maybe because of this, the top left corner is also a bit too bright. The area is much smaller in the top corner, but it's bright, so bothers my eyes. This is noticeable at all light settings and unpleasant to the eyes causing eye strain above level 1.
There is also a blotchy type of bright spot as reported by others about the size of a thumb print in the right half of the screen at the bottom, but that I could live with if it weren't for the other two.

Also, not a biggie because I will probably never see this again, but I had three dead pixels in the lower half of the screen that I could see because of the Kindle still image displayed during setup. I took a picture that I'll post tomorrow.

Other than that, and apart from missing page turn buttons and constantly flipping pages by accident, I love the interface, {...though wish it would not include any editor's picks...} ->used method described on p24 of this thread and they're now gone, and I love the screen resolution and the screen surface.
I also have a K4B and was a bit bummed when I held both screens next to each other: the contrast is better on the K4B, the fonts a blacker, while they are a bit more washed out on the PW. That was with the light on the PW turend "off", which is not really off, because it is still lit. Maybe the light is causing the washout, I don't know....

I'll post pics tomorrow - of them next to each other and next to my K4S.
Anyone else have issues with the light diode in the left hand lower corner?

Last edited by xendula; 10-05-2012 at 10:01 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #400
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry about your issues. The quality control really must be pretty bad on the PW's. I have small area of light on the lower left hand corner, but it's pretty slight and doesn't bother me really. I only see it when I'm in a dim room and the light is up high. Not sure if this is the same as you're talking about.

I wondered if it might be a defect, but watching a bunch of videos on youtube I see the same thing on all the videos where they show the Paperwhite in a room with the lights off so that put me off calling customer service.

Yours sounds like it might be a brighter patch. I'd be curious to see photos. Other than that, I have no other issues with mine.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #401
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
What if you dont consider the lighting - Which one do you then prefer?
Judging only by the screen:
In terms of contrast, the K4B hands down over the PW, K4S or KT. In terms of screen resolution, the PW. It's a very tough question to answer.

Software: PW
Hardware: K4B

Last edited by xendula; 10-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #402
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Got mine . .

I like it.

It is true you can see where the light is coming from, bottom, but it's not distracting, at least not to me.

The light looks even on the rest of the screen.

It feels more solid, less cheap. But edges are too narrow in my opinion. And I have very thin thumbs.

Gonna start reading and using it right away, but I'm happy with it.

Here is a picture I took with my Galaxy SII ...
Good thing you didn't take the photo with a Galaxy SIII. The SIII has a really lousy camera.

But as I've been saying all along, get a good cover because not only will the cover give some measure of protection, the cover will make it easier to hold given smaller bezels.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #403
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokrypt View Post
Under water??? Who reads under water?? Before ereaders, did you take a book into the bath and hold it under water to read it? That doesn't even sound comfortable. When you take a book to the beach or poolside, do you hop in the pool and hold it under water when you read it? Seriously??

I don't know about tomsem, but I regularly took my Sony PRS700 into the bath. I did immerse it under water, but not while I was reading it, after my bath, to test it. Here's an old thread about others with the capacitive touch Sony 700.

Quote:
I think as long as there was a big enough air gap between the kindle screen and the protective screen, it would work. So something stretchy, but not too stretchy. But that's a task for engineers...
No air gap needed, or preferred. I vacuum seal it so that there isn't slack and it doesn't feel like anything is on the reader surface at all. Then I trim the edges as close as I can. The only issue I had was making sure I didn't make the vacuum too tight, because all of the buttons will get depressed. That being said, since the PW has no buttons on the flat surface, just the bottom, it should be even easier to seal.

Last edited by SolRaven; 10-06-2012 at 02:46 AM.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #404
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Has anybody had this happen? It happened to me twice.

I open the cover and my kindle stayed on the screen saver and would not open to the book.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #405
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
So, my PW arrived today and I may go for a replacement because of the following:
I can see a very bright light spot in the lower left hand corner no matter what light setting I use. It bothers me because I have to look past it to read the screen, so I have to cover it with my finger. Not good! It is next to the bezel and spans across two rows of text and the progress area. No matter which way I turn the kindle, I can still see it. It is just so darn bright. I wonder if the light diode was misinstalled. Maybe because of this, the top left corner is also a bit too bright. The area is much smaller in the top corner, but it's bright, so bothers my eyes. This is noticeable at all light settings and unpleasant to the eyes causing eye strain above level 1. <snip>

Also, not a biggie because I will probably never see this again, but I had three dead pixels in the lower half of the screen that I could see because of the Kindle still image displayed during setup. I took a picture that I'll post tomorrow. <snip>
If mine had a pinhole of light on the screen straight from the box, it would have been returned the next day. Those are irritating and extremely distracting. I've seen a Nook Glow with one. Dead pixels can also be irritating, and another excellent reason to exchange the unit for a new one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote