Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
pc work
pc work began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Duokan dealing with password protected PDF and ZIP

Hi ,

I have been trying to open pdf files on Kindle using Duokan but I keep receiving the same message (open failed) simply because it is a password protected, Kindle official firmware can simply open the file by inputting the password.

Is this a problem in Duokan or it just me not being able to deal with it.

Can't see anybody else having the same problem.

Many thanks
pc work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Why don't you just remove the password on your computer?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc work View Post
... Kindle official firmware can simply open the file by inputting the password.
Just to be correct that's not true for all Kindle devices as different models do have different firmware with different functionality.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
pc work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Just to be correct that's not true for all Kindle devices as different models do have different firmware with different functionality.
Well. I did not say I am an expert, Kindle 3 WiFi (upgraded to the latest firmware and the firmware that came with it both do the job).
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
pc work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Why don't you just remove the password on your computer?
Thanks for your reply,
The reason I bought Kindle is because I wanted a reader that reads properly, I didnetltly did not attend to but an extra 3g memory stick, it is abvious that the Chinise guy who i appreciate his work on the firmware missed securing the device, of course you can secure the device by adding a password within Duokan, but that's not secured enough as at the end of the day anyone can connect the device to any computer and get access to your private data.
You have the right to at least have your CV protected on Duokan.

I believe that more firmwares are on the way, and we soon will start to call them images, the same way we treated the Dreambox satellite receiver which has a linux system and ended up with 100s of firmwares that do butter jobs than the official one.
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc work View Post
Thanks for your reply,
The reason I bought Kindle is because I wanted a reader that reads properly, I didnetltly did not attend to but an extra 3g memory stick, it is abvious that the Chinise guy who i appreciate his work on the firmware missed securing the device, of course you can secure the device by adding a password within Duokan, but that's not secured enough as at the end of the day anyone can connect the device to any computer and get access to your private data.
You have the right to at least have your CV protected on Duokan.

I believe that more firmwares are on the way, and we soon will start to call them images, the same way we treated the Dreambox satellite receiver which has a linux system and ended up with 100s of firmwares that do butter jobs than the official one.
If you set a password in the K3 Firmware, each time somebody plugs the Kindle into USB, it will prompt for the password. Assuming that you use a secure enough password, the only way someone can unlock your Kindle is by wiping it.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote