Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #106
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
More on Note Anytime: I tried it today on my iPhone for the first time. I very rarely leave home without my iPad, usually it's when I set out for a long walk in a park or in the city, as I did today. In that case I only take a very small bag with a few essentials. That includes the iPhone, but not the iPad. I have often regretted having nothing to write on those occasions, so I made a test run with Note Anytime, and I must say it was rather successful. I wouldn't use it every day, but for these rare occasions it's perfect. And when I got home, I saved my page of notes to the photo album and imported it to Noteshelf. Very happy with the experiment!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #107
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
And about palm rejection, there is certainly a need in that department. In my opinion the only two apps that do it right are Bamboo Notes (almost perfect) and Noteshelf which has a simpler solution similar to other apps, with the difference that the palm rest zone moves down automatically as you write. Penultimate also has palm detection but it doesn't work as reliably as Bamboo's.

I would certainly be interested in a rubber tip stylus with built-in palm rejection, if it was supported by my favorite apps. But there are so many apps, and new ones every day, it seems a bit like a losing battle...
I use fingerless glove, rudimentary one, just for small finger and part of the hand adjacent to it, so every note-taking app or pdf reader there, has got palm protection now

Last edited by markom; 06-08-2013 at 06:15 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #108
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
I'm surprised no one has mentioned GoodNotes. It isn't as full featured as other apps, but it has a great UI for note taking, in my opinion. I still fall back to Notes Plus and its handwriting recognition when I know I'll need to clean up and reformat my notes for publishing afterwards, but for casual notetaking GoodNotes works really well.

Thanks for the recommendation of Writepad. That looks like it could be a great replacement for Note Plus. I like Notes Plus but tend to agree that the UI can complicate the HWR process. And I love the fact that Writepad converts on the fly. I'll definitely be checking it out.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #109
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My favorite handwriting app for the iPad is even better now that I've got an iPad Air; especially since the app no longer offers upgrades for iPad devices still running running iOS 5 (like the iPad 1). I had a two day retirement class this week and had no problems keeping up with the instructor. While others were using pen and paper, I was writing all my notes into the WritePad for iPad app with my finger and it was instantly converting what I wrote into editable text. The mistakes were few, quickly fixed, and new upgrades that offered the choice of optional renderings available on the fly made it a breeze. When the class was finished, I emailed the notes to my home PC. Sweet. WritePad for iPad remains the app for me. Now more than ever.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #110
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you did receive the iPad air then! Glad that you're enjoying it, and WritePad.

I've been meaning to post more reviews here but too lazy to do it. But the bottom line is, like you Tom, I'm still using the same app and loving it: Noteshelf. It's the only app that allows me to focus on my handwriting without the interface getting in the way. I use it to write my journal.

Which reminds me, there is a new version of Noteshelf and I haven't tried it out yet...
Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #111
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

So I did download the latest version of Noteshelf last night. Usually I wait a bit longer as a safety measure, but so far Noteshelf updates have been good, and I just couldn't wait.

They updated the icon and design to make them more iOS 7. I like it.

But the biggest surprise, and I don't know if this comes from the latest update or if it was there before and I didn't notice it, is that there is now an automatic palm recognition. That's a very nice surprise since it seems to work almost as well as the one in the Bamboo app. Still, it misinterpreted my wrist as a zoom in gesture a couple of times when working on a PDF file, so I'll stick with the usual palm rest area most of the time, but it's nice to have another option for when linear writing is not the order of the day.

Also, PDF handling is getting better and better. I don't do much PDF annotating because it's just too slow, clumsy and unreliable in whatever app I tried. But if Noteshelf keeps improving, it may become an option some day.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the latest version of Noteshelf and it's still my favoritest app for handwriting.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #112
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Jotter

JOTTER

I said I had a few reviews to post. Here's one.

I bought this app ages ago when I was first looking for handwriting apps, and discarded it immediately. A couple of months ago I bought an iPad mini (which turned out to be a mistake) and started looking for an app that would let me sync handwritten notes between devices. I never found one, but Jotter was close. In fact it does have a sync option, but I was forced to turn it off as it had disastrous consequences. Basically, it doesn't seem to work when you create notes while offline. If you're lucky, the version uploaded to the cloud will be faulty. If you're unlucky, you may see your notes disappear when the device syncs.

So forget about syncing unless you're online all the time. What about the rest?

Handwriting is not bad, though not as good as Noteshelf's (but no app that I've tried comes close to Noteshelf in that area anyway). It's relatively fluid, good looking and recognizable, although it's not my handwriting. It looks more like my mother's handwriting, that's something I have noticed with other apps too. Oh, and it has palm recognition, which is not perfect but useable.

The main appeal of Jotter (apart from its low price: 0.89€ for a universal app) is that it's quick and simple. Start the app and press the + button and you can start jotting. There are some options though, you can choose between 3 types of pens, 3 width (which are either too thin or too thick for me unfortunately), a few colors. You can also use an album photo as a background or use one of the app's backgrounds. More are available as in-app purchases. I bought the calendar ones which allow me to annotate a calendar page or just time stamp my notes.

However there is no option to classify your notes: no folders or notebooks, no tags, no titles, not even an option to change the sort order. They are just individual pages presented in reverse chronological order on your screen. That's why I think of Jotter (and from the name that's probably also what the developers had in mind) as a useful app to jot down a few words or a quick sketch. You can then save it to the album as an image or save it as a PDF to send it to another app where you can put it in a folder or add it to a notebook, or tag it, or whatever you want to do with your notes.

Also missing is a selection tool. Once you wrote or drew something, you can't move or copy it, only erase it with the eraser tool. And you can't insert a photo in a note, only use it as background. No typed text either.

My conclusion: as I mentioned, for 0.89€ you get a universal app that, apart from the sync fluke, does what it says and does it rather well. I think it's good value for that price, but don't expect something too sophisticated.

I still have it on my iPad and use it occasionally.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...A couple of months ago I bought an iPad mini (which turned out to be a mistake)....
Having enough screen room for handwriting was one of the major reasons I decided to stick with the full-size iPad rather than go for the iPad Mini. The Mini looks as if it would handle things fine in landscape mode, but I didn't want to take a chance in case I was wrong (many apps display differently in landscape mode). How is the Mini for handwriting?
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #114
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Having enough screen room for handwriting was one of the major reasons I decided to stick with the full-size iPad rather than go for the iPad Mini. The Mini looks as if it would handle things fine in landscape mode, but I didn't want to take a chance in case I was wrong (many apps display differently in landscape mode). How is the Mini for handwriting?
I found it very usable. I could write comfortably even in portrait mode, but of course I could fit less text on a page than on the iPad 3. And since I got the old one with a non retina display, pages written on the mini looked coarse and low res compared to pages written on the big iPad. Most apps, including Noteshelf, won't let you choose the size of your paper but automatically set it according to the screen size.

The main problem for me was that I couldn't handle using two iPads, syncing was too much of a pain, and since I have to choose I prefer keeping the iPad 3, even if it's heavier and bulkier to carry around.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #115
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned GoodNotes. It isn't as full featured as other apps, but it has a great UI for note taking, in my opinion. I still fall back to Notes Plus and its handwriting recognition when I know I'll need to clean up and reformat my notes for publishing afterwards, but for casual notetaking GoodNotes works really well.
You know, after re-reading this I redownloaded the free version of Goodnotes and found that you're right, it's a very good app. I think I underestimated it because of its ugly interface. And boy is it ugly, especially the free version with the ads at the bottom. What is it with the wooden shelf, why does everybody insist on using this? Is it because it's easy to find cheap ugly fake wooden shelves to inflict on your users? Thankfully, now that Apple has abandoned it, some developers at least seem to be following suit. I hope GoodNotes will do it too.

But otherwise it has very nice features, and when I imported a PDF for a quick test it handled that very nicely. I'll try to field test it next time I need to annotate a PDF, and if it satisfies I may buy the full version.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #116
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
You know, after re-reading this I redownloaded the free version of Goodnotes and found that you're right, it's a very good app. I think I underestimated it because of its ugly interface. And boy is it ugly, especially the free version with the ads at the bottom. What is it with the wooden shelf, why does everybody insist on using this? Is it because it's easy to find cheap ugly fake wooden shelves to inflict on your users? Thankfully, now that Apple has abandoned it, some developers at least seem to be following suit. I hope GoodNotes will do it too.

But otherwise it has very nice features, and when I imported a PDF for a quick test it handled that very nicely. I'll try to field test it next time I need to annotate a PDF, and if it satisfies I may buy the full version.
Definitely agree about the wooden shelves. Not sure why that makes sense for a notes app. Fortunately, the developer will be submitting version 4.0 with a new UI and many other changes to the App Store next week. The dev seems pretty open to input, suggestions, questions, etc. and is active on Twitter.
https://www.twitter.com/goodnotesapp
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #117
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Definitely agree about the wooden shelves. Not sure why that makes sense for a notes app. Fortunately, the developer will be submitting version 4.0 with a new UI and many other changes to the App Store next week. The dev seems pretty open to input, suggestions, questions, etc. and is active on Twitter.
Glad to know they have an iOS 7 interface in the works. I'm not sure I need this app, really, but I will probably end up buying it anyway. I can't help it, I'm an app addict.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #118
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Just bought writepad. Reminds me of the old calligraphy handwriting OCR software they had for the pocketpc back in 2000. I too like the software. It cost $5 -on sale till Dec 3rd. Otherwise it was about $3 to add OCR to notes plus.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #119
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Quote:
Glad to know they have an iOS 7 interface in the works. I'm not sure I need this app, really, but I will probably end up buying it anyway. I can't help it, I'm an app addict.
Well, I've been had. I started using the evaluation version of goodnotes, and it is indeed a good app, so in spite of the fact that the promised upgrade and cleaner look failed to materialize, I bought the app. I decided to trust the developers who are not the kind to play yoyo with their app's price to attract reviews, which I do appreciate. The price is reasonable in my view although high by iOS standards. And the message each time I started the app said new functionalities are coming, and I should buy while the price is low. OK.

This evening I got a message saying that the new version was out, and available for a short period at a reduced price, which happens to be the same that I already paid a couple of weeks ago. So much for free new functionalities. I should have been more patient.

That said, I do think it's a good app and I will probably pay for the new version. It's just another proof, in my view, that the business model for mobile apps (I suspect that it's more or less the same with other OSes) is inherently rotten and ultimately bad for consumers.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #120
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And my favorite, WritePad for iPad, released a free new update this week: WritePad iPad 7.1, Build 1360. It just keeps gettin' gooder 'n' gooder. I wrote this post on it.