Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Augen The Book
Should Aluratek be rewarded?

Does it not bother anyone that Aluratek would so badly misrepresent their product, Libre Pro?

On the box, even their own website,http://aluratek.com/libre-ebook-reader-pro-black, that display is white! And are they not monochrome green like Jetbook? Really, correct me if I am wrong.

"This amazing technology makes it difficult to determine the difference between actual paper and the e-paper screen."

Really!?

There have to be quite a number of disappointed people out there and Aluratek created them without apparently caring at all.

Should companies like this be rewarded?

Regards

Joe
West Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I'm old enough to have actually used monochrome green monitors. The Jetbook screen is not monochrome green.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
I have a Libre. (which I now have sent to aluratek for repair.) The screen is only white like the picture if you hold it under a very strong light. I can read on it but the screen is not white. I was wondering if there was something wrong with mine.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The Aluratek Libre Pro and the Ectaco jetBook are the same Dr Yi,
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Dr._Yi device including the same display.
Each company is marketing a device running under their own firmware,
that is a mix of the Dr Yi supplied OS and low level routines, and their
selection of other embedded software.

There should be no real difference in the displays.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-25-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Aluratek is not completely honest in their representation of the screen, but they don't grossly misrepresent it. No company that I have ever seen is completely honest about their products, so I was expecting the screen to be not quite as good as stated. I have been completely happy with the screen and I don't think it is green at all except under a very few lighting conditions.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I always thought that it looked like pewter under certain lighting conditions. As for the quality - I find both JB and ALP to have very nice screens. Even the small font size can be read if your eye's are up to it.

They are careful not to say e-Ink.

I also have the Pandigital Novel Colour Reader (Black Canadian model running KOBO). I find the screen (Backlit colour LCD) to be reasonable as well.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
gentlemanbeggar
gentlemanbeggar began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch (unrooted)
I find that when I tilt my screen just right, the "white" parts of the screen take on an almost silver sheen. I actually prefer it to reading on white, and find it to be a pleasant experience. I chalk it up to McDonald's Big Mac syndrome--the photographer used the best case scenario model and ideal lighting conditions to show the product. Chalk it up to puffery.

I can see where some might be disappointed, though.
gentlemanbeggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Ever notice how the window for each post is a little gray?
The window I'm typing this in is white though, as is the immediate background of the
windows, I don't see any great advantage to the solid white, myself.

My eReader app on my PDA used a kinda yellowish-brownish imitation parchment behind
the text, and it looked pretty good to me.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:45 AM   #9
West Virginia
Enthusiast
West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.West Virginia calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

I'm not saying the green is bad. Just that

"This amazing technology makes it difficult to determine the difference between actual paper and the e-paper screen." shown with a picture that is clearly meant to show a white screen is a gross, gross misrepresentation.

I just wondered what other people thought. I'll probably stick with Jetbook myself, same screen, less misrepresentation.

Joe
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Virginia View Post
I'm not saying the green is bad. Just that

"This amazing technology makes it difficult to determine the difference between actual paper and the e-paper screen." shown with a picture that is clearly meant to show a white screen is a gross, gross misrepresentation.

I just wondered what other people thought. I'll probably stick with Jetbook myself, same screen, less misrepresentation.
Joe
Misrepresentation has nothing to do with your decision. You already have a Jetbook so it is about the lack of functionality that the Libre provides over the Jetbook.

EVERY reader manufacturer misrepresents their screen to some degree. (I've lost count of the number of color ereader ad renderings showing a vibrant iPad-like color screen when the reality is that the colors are not as vibrant or have as much contrast.)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
West Virginia
Enthusiast

"Misrepresentation has nothing to do with your decision. You already have a Jetbook so it is about the lack of functionality that the Libre provides over the Jetbook."

No, no, I think I disagree. I am to buy, possibly an extra, that extra was to be either Libre or Jetbook. My consideration of the Libre was based on the misrepresentation. The representation was not true making JB and Libre much the same. Ectaco misrepresents less so...I'll hold Aluratek accountable and buy the Jetbook.

"EVERY reader manufacturer misrepresents their screen to some degree. (I've lost count of the number of color ereader ad renderings showing a vibrant iPad-like color screen when the reality is that the colors are not as vibrant or have as much contrast.)"

I'll disagree with this too. It's not an exageration. It's the difference between black and white, or green and white.

Regards,

Joe
Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't really consider it to be a misrepresentation. It's like the Pearl screen - you look at ads for it and you think that text on it is going to look like it does on a white sheet of paper, but it isn't. That screen only looks white if you hold the screen at a certain angle, just like the Aluratek.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #13
West Virginia
Enthusiast

So, it is not misrepresentaion if others do it? Really?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Virginia View Post
So, it is not misrepresentaion if others do it? Really?
Seems Aluratek chooses to show/photograph their product in the best possible light (pun intended). I'm pretty sure there are a few other businesses out there that take the same or similar approach in marketing their product/service.

Here's an instance of the screen color quickly changing from darkish through a variety of white shades to a more silver-ish color as the reviewer tips the device sideways to demonstrate "landscape mode" at around the 3:52 to 3:55 minute mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2WoVRsap9Q#t=3m51s

On my box cover (and in all photos on their site), the screen is shown as ranging diagonally from "glare white" to a darker off-white or grey shade. Admittedly, in the lighting conditions I usually read by (not a professionally lit studio) the darker shade more accurately reflects my experience, (and I prefer it that way).

So yeah, marketers stretch their "truth" - who knew?

Have a look at this still from the video at the 5:14 minute mark, and compare the box image to the "real thing"...

http://i.imgur.com/AJ5wa.jpg

:-)

Last edited by k9reeder; 03-07-2011 at 09:43 AM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote