Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Dealing with Barnes and Noble

I just wanted to let people know what it was like to purchase an ebook for the first time with Barnes and Noble.

I was going to test a Barnes and Noble ebook on the new jetbook firmware.

1. Signed up with Barnes and Noble
2. Entered credit information
3. Purchased HG Wells novel for $.99
4. Downloaded ebook
5. Copied to jetbook
6. Jetbook does not see file
7. Went back to B&N and downloaded reader for PC
8. Opened my ebook in B&N reader
9. Book cover comes up and it is Marque de Sade !
10. Open reader to get book from B&N
11. Open ebook from their server in reader
12. Book is Marque de Sade !
13. Close reader
14. Find file on computer
15. Check file name and it is HG Wells
16. Call customer service at B&N
17. On hold for 15 minutes
18. Customer Service tells me she has never seen the wrong ebook delivered
19. CS says because I downloaded the book there is no refund !
20. CS tells me she has to transfer me to a different division
21. Wait on hold for over 1 hour and hang up
22. Place call to my credit card company to challenge the credit card charge
23. Go to B&N to cancel my account
24. Can't cancel the account
25. Go to message board to ask how to cancel the account.
26. Send an email to customer service to cancel account

Time Spent 2.5 hours
Customer that will ever buy from B&N again --- 0

All this to check and see if B&N books work.

At this point this is one person that does not care if B&N ever sells another ebook.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I just wanted to let people know what it was like to purchase an ebook for the first time with Barnes and Noble.

I was going to test a Barnes and Noble ebook on the new jetbook firmware.

1. Signed up with Barnes and Noble
2. Entered credit information
3. Purchased HG Wells novel for $.99
4. Downloaded ebook
5. Copied to jetbook
6. Jetbook does not see file
7. Went back to B&N and downloaded reader for PC
8. Opened my ebook in B&N reader
9. Book cover comes up and it is Marque de Sade !
10. Open reader to get book from B&N
11. Open ebook from their server in reader
12. Book is Marque de Sade !
13. Close reader
14. Find file on computer
15. Check file name and it is HG Wells
16. Call customer service at B&N
17. On hold for 15 minutes
18. Customer Service tells me she has never seen the wrong ebook delivered
19. CS says because I downloaded the book there is no refund !
20. CS tells me she has to transfer me to a different division
21. Wait on hold for over 1 hour and hang up
22. Place call to my credit card company to challenge the credit card charge
23. Go to B&N to cancel my account
24. Can't cancel the account
25. Go to message board to ask how to cancel the account.
26. Send an email to customer service to cancel account

Time Spent 2.5 hours
Customer that will ever buy from B&N again --- 0

All this to check and see if B&N books work.

At this point this is one person that does not care if B&N ever sells another ebook.
And the same through piracy:

1.Find book
2.Download
3.Convert if necessary
4.Read
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And the same through piracy:

1.Find book
2.Download
3.Convert if necessary
4.Read
You forgot

#5: Deal with your conscious the rest of your life!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You forgot

#5: Deal with your conscious the rest of your life!
Didn't forget, and seeing how the vast majority (if not all) of H.G. Wells' work is in the public domain paying even a nominal fee is far more unconscionable than gaining the book through other means.
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Didn't forget, and seeing how the vast majority (if not all) of H.G. Wells' work is in the public domain paying even a nominal fee is far more unconscionable than gaining the book through other means.
I can't understand why you would obtain PD books from pirates when so many are available from legitimate sources like Gutenberg? Is there something in your soul that gets an illicit thrill from supporting criminals?

I suppose there could be a few cases where a book you can't find a book that you're certain is PD from a legitimate source, although such has never happened to me.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Getting account canceled

1 More hour spent with customer service trying to get my credit card information removed from Barnes and Noble.

Had to go through two levels of supervisors and threaten to have my attorney contact them before they would even admit they could delete the account.

And people wonder why books are downloaded from the internet instead of buying them from online vendors.

So that people know.

B&N has a zero refund policy. Once you have opened it in their online software or downloaded it to put it on your reader they will not give you a refund.

Hell, they sent me a Marque de Sade book when I ordered an HG Wells book and their electronic department said that I took possession of the ebook and there were no refunds. Even though the file name was HG_Wells.

I never heard in a free country that you have to pay for something that you did not order !

Now I will spend hours filling out forms to challenge the credit card charge all for $.99 But I will do so just to make them spend $100 in payroll for people to answer the chargeback, bank fees for the chargeback, and general aggravation.

Plus I will make sure I tell people what it is like dealing with B&N

In answer to another comment, I purchased this book to test software on an ereader device. I know that it was available on the internet royally free.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
liono33
Lilly
liono33 began at the beginning.

Device: WISEreader N518
wow thanks for the heads up! i knew i switched to borders books for a reason
liono33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I can't understand why you would obtain PD books from pirates when so many are available from legitimate sources like Gutenberg? Is there something in your soul that gets an illicit thrill from supporting criminals?

I suppose there could be a few cases where a book you can't find a book that you're certain is PD from a legitimate source, although such has never happened to me.
If it's public domain, they're not pirating the book, because it's legal to share it. Torrents just as legit a source of PD books as Gutenberg. (Why someone would want them? Hm, that takes a bit of stretching. Maybe there's a batch collection that are all formatted the same way. Maybe they come in a themed bundle that are all named the same way--I've spent serious time renaming collections of ebooks. Maybe they have access to torrenting when Gutenberg would be a hassle for some reason. Maybe they just like torrents.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post

Ahh, you see, I'm using the word 'piracy' for what it's become known for. I should have used the word 'sharing sites'. And you can get really good versions of H.G. Wells from Feedbooks.com, they look great And, it's completely legitimate to share H.G. Wells through bittorrent and other 'piracy' sites. Oh....wait...you wanted to call me out and call me a criminal because you're too old fashioned to understand the difference between doing something 'for profit' and 'sharing'. Oh, good luck on that, don't let the internet hit you on the way out.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #11
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
I just wanted to let people know what it was like to purchase an ebook for the first time with Barnes and Noble....
Very sorry to hear you had a problem. I'm a little surprised, they've had time to work out bugs like this.

For my part, when I wanted to check out the B&N software, it was pretty easy: make account, enter CC, download free Google book and their sample free books, open app and take a look.

The software worked fine, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe
Ahh, you see, I'm using the word 'piracy' for what it's become known for.
Oh, please. You're just reflexively promoting and rationalizing piracy and copyright infringement, as per usual.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Very sorry to hear you had a problem. I'm a little surprised, they've had time to work out bugs like this.

For my part, when I wanted to check out the B&N software, it was pretty easy: make account, enter CC, download free Google book and their sample free books, open app and take a look.

The software worked fine, by the way.

Oh, please. You're just reflexively promoting and rationalizing piracy and copyright infringement, as per usual.
Indeed. I promote copyright infringement and piracy wherever I can. But only after I fill my gullet with infant babies and then I have to destroy downtown Tokyo too. Well, you piracy-is-evil people do like to confuse sharing with high-seas murder and the like, so I don't see why I can't do it too.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #13
tamzilla
Zealot
tamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with otherstamzilla plays well with others

Device: nook, Ipod touch
Who is the publisher of this ebook? I would send them an e-mail about this as well - this could be a mistake on their part as apposed to Barnes & Noble.
tamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
So basically the only problem here is bad customer service.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I cannot see how refusing a refund or exchange when one product was ordered and a different product delivered is either ethical or legal.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote