Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Internet speed control faces scrutiny at CRTC hearings (Canada)

CBC news article. Friday, July 3, 2009

My ISP doesn't yet throttle downloads, yet in Eastern Canada it is the norm. I have a P2P connection which is very reasonably priced, with no restrictions placed on usage 'yet'.

Quote:
How internet providers manipulate and manage the speed of the internet for different types of data will be examined by Canada's telecommunications regulator during six days of hearings in Gatineau, Que., starting Monday.
Quote:
Some of the internet traffic control practices being put under the microscope are:
  • Throttling — that is, purposely slowing down the internet speeds of certain online applications such as peer-to-peer file transfers (P2P) relative to others.
  • Deep packet inspection, a technology used to examine traffic to figure out what type of data it is so it can be monitored and directed.
  • Imposing download limits and excess bandwidth usage charges on heavy users.
WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Download limits are pretty universal in the UK, and with good reason. Before my ISP imposed them, 1% of their users were using over 50% of the network capacity, and slowing things down for everybody. Depending how much you pay, most British ISPs give you a download limit of between about 20GB and 60GB a month (which personally I would have thought would be more than enough for anybody!).

"Traffic shaping" is also very common here. Eg, my ISP "throttles" P2P traffic during business hours (9am to 6pm, Mon to Fri); it's unthrottled outside those times.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've got no problem with download limits as long as they're made clear up front to the customer. Many ISPs in the US like to advertise that they sell "unlimited" service, but then after you've paid for the service they sneak in throttling and download limits, and often the limits are undisclosed. I've heard many stories about customers being cut off for exceeding some limit, but never being told what the limit actually was.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote