Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #1306
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cbraun: Nope, just KUAL (and MKK, if need be), no need to touch anything else.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #1307
cbraun
cbraun began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Installed the MKK, then KUAL, (all from your latest snapshots). MKK installed correctly (version K5-ALL-install), but when KUAL icon is pressed (version 2.0.azw2 of KUAL in documents folder) , I get an application error "the selected application could not be started. Please try again".

Read the FAQ, but don't seem to find this error.

I did not uninstall the screen saver hack, so the screen saver extension are in the extensions folder (anyway, it does not look as if the app is running yet, so I suspect that I am not at that point anyway).

Sorry if this is already covered in an existing thread, but I cant find it. Thanks for your help anyway!!
cbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #1308
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbraun View Post
Installed the MKK, then KUAL, (all from your latest snapshots). MKK installed correctly (version K5-ALL-install), but when KUAL icon is pressed (version 2.0.azw2 of KUAL in documents folder) , I get an application error "the selected application could not be started. Please try again".

Read the FAQ, but don't seem to find this error.

I did not uninstall the screen saver hack, so the screen saver extension are in the extensions folder (anyway, it does not look as if the app is running yet, so I suspect that I am not at that point anyway).

Sorry if this is already covered in an existing thread, but I cant find it. Thanks for your help anyway!!
That means KUAL crashed. Just try again.

This often happens immediately after the Kindle is restarted.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #1309
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cbraun:

What @eschwartz said. (Technically, KUAL doesn't crash, but gets killed by the framework: a Kindlet has 2s flat to start, which can be hard on KUAL with cold caches and the device busy in the background. Enabling gawk can help a bit, but it's still tricky right at startup with the device busy.)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:48 PM   #1310
cbraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That means KUAL crashed. Just try again.

This often happens immediately after the Kindle is restarted.
Thank you eschwartz, trying and trying and trying harder.
Same outcome.

KUAL icon shows new and active. When clicked, changes to "opening" at the same time as the application error is displayed. close the error box and KUAL returns to "active" after a few seconds.

Any other ideas?
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #1311
cbraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@cbraun:

What @eschwartz said. (Technically, KUAL doesn't crash, but gets killed by the framework: a Kindlet has 2s flat to start, which can be hard on KUAL with cold caches and the device busy in the background. Enabling gawk can help a bit, but it's still tricky right at startup with the device busy.)
Thank you - The error message is displayed nearly immediately after I try to open KUAL, not 2 seconds after. Would that indicate another issue??
Old 08-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #1312
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cbraun: Argh, right, you downgraded, my bad. Kindlets (all of them, official ones included) are broken on your specific model before FW 5.4.5. You'll have to update to be able to use KUAL.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 AM   #1313
cbraun

OK - cool. Yes, I had to downgrade to jailbreak.

I assume that I can now upgrade back to 5.4.5.1, and leave Python, KUAL. MKK and screensaver in place without having to install a bridge first (I dont see one in your snapshots anyway) .

I seem to have read that the bridge is included in your latest JB v0.12 I installed, but I thought I would check with you first.

Thank you
Old 09-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #1314
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbraun View Post

- - - -

I seem to have read that the bridge is included in your latest JB v0.12 I installed, but I thought I would check with you first.

Thank you
It is.
It has been for some time, since v1.7 (I assume that v0.12 is a typo).

What you may have read is that MKK will now also be installed and restored.
(if *latest* translates to 08/26/2014 or later.)

For more details, see the: README.txt file in the *.tar.xz snapshot tarball.

@NiLuJe:
You have to rename that file to: "DoNotReadThis_YouWillGoBlind.txt"
or maybe:
"SexOnYourKindle.txt"

Where did I put that link to the Twilight Zone intro?

The *.tar.xz archive contains two *.zip archives -
The **contents** of the *.zip archives are date-time stamped 7 hours **after** the outer *.tar.xz archive was created.

Perhaps nobody stole your laptop recently, it may have just finally fallen through that local time warp.
Have you looked for it in tomorrow yet?
(If you hack'd that time warp a bit, perhaps you could read what you will be typing tomorrow.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-01-2014 at 08:58 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #1315
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: . I'll fire up the DeLorean! (Joking aside, the timestamps look fine on my end, but the timestamps of the outer file *might* be tweaked depending on where you are (it's hosted in an OpenStack container supposedly automagically mirrored all around the world, so said mirrors and/or browsers might be doing weird stuff with the timestamps).

@cbraun: As knc1 said, the bridge has been included for a good long while, what's new (in this iteration of the JB, at least), is MKK being bundled with it, and that's only with the last couple of snapshots [which you probably used, since you have a 'new' 4GB device]).

You *will* have to reinstall Python & the ScreenSavers hack after the update though .
Old 09-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #1316
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be some sort of anti-virus inspector taking apart and putting the archives back together.

I suppose OpenStack doesn't want their system used for virus distribution.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #1317
cbraun

Quote:

You *will* have to reinstall Python & the ScreenSavers hack after the update though .
Thank you - I'm nearly there...

I now have 5.4.5.1 firmware, still JB, KUAL, Python and ScreenSavers hack. Waterstone button enabled...getting your famous NiLuJe screensaver (which I can change although it's quite nice )

but... neither "cover" nor "last" modes seem to work.
I have auto, beta, cover, mounted_ss and mounted_custom_ss in the linkss folder. (I did wait several minutes in "cover" mode with no success)
Should these work with the Waterstone workaround?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #1318
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cbraun: Yep, you just need to restart the device for the cover mode to take .
Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 AM   #1319
cbraun

Quote:
@cbraun: Yep, you just need to restart the device for the cover mode to take .
Restart from Setting, not restart the framework from KUAL of course. I'm all setup now. All I need to do now is to hack the magnets in my cover so that I can occasionally see the screensavers.

knc1, eschwartz, thank you very much for your time and replies.
NiLuJe, of course, this is a lot of amazing work. Thank you again.

Next challenge for me: brick it and get back on the forum.
Do you think I can do this on my own!?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1320
knc1
Going Viral

You could put a small "magnetic short" on the inside of the cover -

A soft steel strip from something, just hide and fasten with some tape on inside of cover.
It should not need to be very big, it is a tiny sensor you are blocking.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch