Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Been wondering something.
Married people, please tell me, is it okay to keep one's wedding ring around one's neck on a necklace ? Kind of like Frodo did with the one ring in the Lord of the Rings story.
I mean is that appropriate ? Because I've been thinking of the practical advantages: Not to have the bother in one's finger if one is not used to wear stuff there, not risking losing it somehow, ring always with you which in the end stays in line with the symbolism of having the ring ...
I wouldn't want my husband wearing his wedding ring on a necklace. The point of it being on your finger is that it's in plain view of everyone else. There's no mistaking that he's taken. If it's on your necklace, it can be hidden under a shirt, and anyone who saw would probably think it was a family heirloom or something (yes i am the jealous type, he's mine, alllllll mine ).

If you've never worn a ring on that finger it might be a bit uncomfortable for a while but you get used to it.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #17
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
You can wear your ring however you want, that's up to the couple. But you do get used to it. When I got married, I was not used to jewelry at all. For the first few days, I would take it off when I went to bed. Then I got used to it. I hardly think of it, it is like part of my hand. I've barely taken it off in the past few years.

But I can see why some people would get more upset about losing their phone. With the wedding ring, you figure it will turn up sooner or later anyway. But with the phone, some people can't stand to be out of contact for even a few minutes. There really seems to be a divide on this. Ever see the Cornona commercial where they are skipping stones, and then the phone rings, and they skip that across the ocean? Some people use mobile technology only because they have to. Others can't imagine being out of contact. Others are more inbetween. It does seem that there are a lot of people conflicted about mobile technology, they would like to be less tied to it, but still like it.

I remember an ad for cell phones, it was pitching the idea that you can have your employees constantly in contact. That commercial was pulled quickly, and I haven't seen one like it since. It's true, mobile technology has kept a lot of people constantly on the the job, but people don't like being reminded of that.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I wouldn't want my husband wearing his wedding ring on a necklace. The point of it being on your finger is that it's in plain view of everyone else. There's no mistaking that he's taken. If it's on your necklace, it can be hidden under a shirt, and anyone who saw would probably think it was a family heirloom or something (yes i am the jealous type, he's mine, alllllll mine ).

If you've never worn a ring on that finger it might be a bit uncomfortable for a while but you get used to it.
How about a tattoo on the forehead?
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrosvit View Post
How about a tattoo on the forehead?
Acutally I have his name tattooed on my wrist, and he has my lips on his neck
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Married people, please tell me, is it okay to keep one's wedding ring around one's neck on a necklace ? Kind of like Frodo did with the one ring in the Lord of the Rings story.
I mean is that appropriate ? Because I've been thinking of the practical advantages: Not to have the bother in one's finger if one is not used to wear stuff there, not risking losing it somehow, ring always with you which in the end stays in line with the symbolism of having the ring ...
When I got married, I didn't wear a ring. I had not worn a ring before being married. At first, I did notice it was there. But now, It's just there. It doesn't bother me and I don't mind it. Keeping it on a chain around your neck, it could get lost a lot more easily. Besides, you (most likely) will get used to it on your finger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Been married almost 20 years and never had a wedding ring. Just can't stand wearing jewellry.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My ring is irreplaceable. My phone is replaceable. I keep it backed up enough that if I had to get a new phone and restore the content, I would not have lost that much. Plus, we do have a spare iPhone 3G I could use if need be. Sure, I'd be annoyed and pissed to have lost my phone. But I would be more so should it be my wedding ring.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
is it okay to keep one's wedding ring around one's neck on a necklace.
The only case I'd not consider it improper would be when one's widowed. Meaning: No longer bound, but still attached to.

"Not to have the bother (...) if one is not used to" is IMO a somehow insulting argument. If an other characteristic of being married temporarily bothers you, do you sweep it aside with equal easiness?
One rule goes for both the symbol and the bond itself: get used to, care of and pay attention. Or don't do it at all
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #24
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I travelled in the early to mid 90's for three years. It was great. No one knew where I was. Hell there we're times even I had no idea where I was. I see people traveling now with all their electronic tethers and dont envy them the experience at all.

What's the point of getting away from it all while having it all in your pocket?

Last edited by HappyMartin; 06-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #25
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
I travelled in the early to mid 90's for three years. It was great. No one knew where I was. Hell there we're times even I had no idea where I was. I see people traveling now with all their electronic tethers and dont envy them the experience at all.

What's the point of getting away from it all while having it all in your pocket?
Back when I was a pauper with wanderlust, otherwise known as a student, I travelled cheap a fair bit, hanging my thumb out and sleeping on beaches and stuff. I used to let my folks know I was alive, and roughly where I was, by making a person-to-person collect call to myself from the local telephone exchange. They'd get an operator asking would they accept a collect person to person call to plib from some foreign location to which they'd respond, accurately, that I wasn't at home. End of free, but informative, foreign phone call.

That was pretty much all the electronic tether available then, with no way to transmit "Please send money" messages from an internet cafe on every corner. Hence sleeping on beaches.

Last edited by plib; 06-23-2012 at 10:25 AM.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
My husband works a job that his ring could easily get caught and he could lose his finger. He kept his ring on his key chain. I think his finger is more important than the band of gold.
Last year when he was robbed at gun point the robber took his keyring, and in the process got the ring. I could care less. All I cared about was that he was alive and safe.
We haven't replaced his ring, and probably won't. It just doesn't matter.
Now, if we were going on vacation and I lost my ebook reader and had nothing to read for a week, that might upset me. But I usually pack a few dead tree books as back-up any way.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Losing my mobile would mean losing years of information and cause a lot of inconvenience especially to my reading as there is a lot of info on books I've bought and read or not read yet.

Losing my wedding ring - well you'd have to cut my finger off to get it but I wouldn't care about the ring itself.

Wedding ring 1 - too plain when I stopped wearing the engagement ring that made my finger bleed. No idea where they've been for more than 20 years.

Wedding ring 2 - cute but got too small. In a box.

Wedding ring 3 - just disappeared one day and never seen again.

Wedding ring 4 - too small, in another box.

Wedding ring 5 - on my hand and the worsening arthritis means I can't get it off. If I have to get this one cut off I won't bother again.

I've had 5 wedding rings but only one marriage. That's the thing to keep - not a piece of jewellery.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Liane i agree, on my farm wedding rings get destroyed, its a VERY good way to lose your finger (common in rural ER's), MY wife is a physician and she delivers about 20 babies per year some by c-section and some naturally, thats not to mention her 30 patients a day that she see's so she doesnt wear a wedding ring except on special occasions. so spent much of her time almost elbow deep in peoples chest cavities and up female repuductive organs manouvering babies or keeping people alive. it would be crazy for her to wear her ring, and dont forget that the cleansers in hospital/er's are some of the most caustic there is, before ww2 people didnt need wedding wrings to prove love, people didnt need holidays like valentines day to give permision for you to show your wife love.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Married for 18 years; took my ring off after the ceremony, never put it back on. Never been much for symbolic items. Also, I'm remarkably non-sentimental. If my house burned down, I'd cheerfully take my insurance money and buy a whole new bunch of stuff, and, with few exceptions, wouldn't miss the old. The only things that I would be upset about would be pics of my kids, which is why those are backed up in several places.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
My wedding ring is more important than the phone. It cost my husband $25 on our first date. It's a stainless steel puzzle ring with a little flower engraved in the center and it means the world to me. The phone can be replaced. I don't have enough money or good enough credit to be concerned with identity theft, they wouldn't get enough gas to get down the street with my bank info. My ring has seen me through 7 years of ups and downs (way, way down sometimes) with my husband and I consider it irreplaceable and priceless. It represents my love for him and the life we've built together.
Mine was a bit more expensive than $25, but this for the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I've been wondering for hours what disturbed me about this thread, and it just hit me...........

When my husband passed, I took his wedding band off his finger and put it on mine........yes, its a little loose, but the band underneath holds it well.

Trust me........I'd lose my life before I let someone take it from me. Thats how much it means to me now.

The thought that losing a mechanical device is more important than losing a wedding ring is just sad to me.

More than just a symbol, its representative of the committment and love I held for him.
I couldn't wear his ring on my finger if I wanted (I've got fatter fingers ) but I would wear it around my neck, together with the heart pendant he gave me when he proposed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I don't know which I would stress out more over. I could make new wedding rings if I needed to, (and I even have some of the same gold left, because we saved the sprue). I could replace a Kindle or even (gulp) an iPad if necessary, and everything is backed up. The cell phone would be no big deal--it's pay-go so someone could steal 150 minutes, which would be annoying, but they can't steal anything more.

But expecting to have the magic book to read and then not having it--expecting to have the cell phone capability and then not having it--that would be stressful. Like if you twisted your ankle while traveling. It's not that it won't get better, it's that you really needed that leg *now* darn it.
Our rings were custom-made. We had through a lot of trouble to get it (considering we didn't have a driver's license, and had to cross half the country to an out-of-place location where there was no public transport so we had to walk the last 5km).

Live without phone, I can do without problems. Hell, that thing is empty 90% of the time anyway (and I have a phone with a 2 week standby time...) The only thing I would miss would be my book. But as somebody above said, if it was stolen/broken/lost and I couldn't find it, and needed a book fix NOW, I'd just buy a paper book. I've done so before...

Quote:
It's something you decide together. I know people who didn't even get rings. They had some other token they gave each other.

Quote:

True that. I feel almost naked without my ring on my finger. I only take it off when I go swimming and put it on my necklace (it's a small one, my pendant hangs slightly below my collar bones that can be worn safely while swimming).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote