Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #1
Shiimis
Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600 [sold]
Epub layout for scholars

Hello,

I'm currently experimenting with an acceptable layout for texts which require pagination on the side of the page (most classic texts are like that). Without standard pagination these texts are useless for serious work.
I managed to progress somewhat but unfortunately sold my PRS-600 a little while ago (Currently waiting for my Nook Color to arrive).

Could you please load the epub file in your readers and tell me how it looks, perhaps you have some advice regarding the layout.

The file contains a first few lines from Plato's Lysis which uses Stephanus pagination.

I appreciate the help!
Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: epub example_lysis.epub (525.8 KB, 139 views)
Shiimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Unfortunately this demonstrates why tables can be a bad idea. If the user enlarges the font enough that all the text in a row can't fit on the screen, then the text gets chopped off.

I redid it using floats and attached the result. Note that I set all the margins in em.
Attached Files
File Type: epub example_lysis_float.epub (523.8 KB, 166 views)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Shiimis
Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.Shiimis understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600 [sold]
Wow, thanks! This is so much better!
I appreciate your help.
Shiimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't personally like to specify margins in em units. Do you really want your margins to expand if you increase the text size? Indents in em, yes, but have margins in some fixed units - pt, cm, or whatever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Vertical margins should always be in em so that you maintain the vertical rhythm of the type across differing font sizes. Horizontal margins generally work better with absolute measures or ones relative to screen width, but in this case the margins are actually padding used to keep the two elements apart (I changed some of them to padding-right etc, and the others should probably be changed as well), so they need to scale with the font size to maintain the relative positions or they end up looking very odd.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert