Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't know. I'd expect so, as I'm pretty sure the Kindle and Fictionwise Mobipocket editions are generated from the ePub.

Whether any particular retailer has the ePub version I also don't know.
The other question I have is that if the ePub is updated, is the version Overdrive has updated?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #182
DrDln
Banned
DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrDln ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I believe many of these errors may be format related. The ebook formats are still in very primitive state. That's why nonfiction is not that common due to complex format for Tables and graphics.
DrDln is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #183
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If that was the case, then the PDFs should be free of those errors, since that is a print-centric format. However, that isn't the deal at all.

Granted, yes, ebook formats need to improve to include more types of books. ePub for instance allows for tables and such, but with some great measure of difficulty. ePub 3 hopes to rectify much of that by adding in more support for various techniques.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #184
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
I decided to revisit this thread, as I haven't yet corrected my purchased copy of LoTR. I looked at the first post, with the missing words, and thought "No problem, I'll just search the paper books for those text strings."

*slaps forehead*
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #185
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, LOTR being the timeless classic that it is, I guess it is only fair that this thread never dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I decided to revisit this thread, as I haven't yet corrected my purchased copy of LoTR. I looked at the first post, with the missing words, and thought "No problem, I'll just search the paper books for those text strings."

*slaps forehead*
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #186
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well, LOTR being the timeless classic that it is, I guess it is only fair that this thread never dies
One book to rule them all... lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #187
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
One book to rule them all... lol.
That is not dead which can eternal lie...

Oh, sorry, wrong mythos.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #188
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post

*slaps forehead*
Just download a fresh copy from wherever you bought it. There's no need to correct errors manually.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #189
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Just download a fresh copy from wherever you bought it. There's no need to correct errors manually.
Any idea if fictionwise have updated their copies?

I bought it from there, but don't have a windows PC at the moment (mainly a Mac user now) so can't redownload the .lit and don't want to go to the trouble of setting the software up + drm-free tools on a friends PC if it still contains the original 2009 version errors.

If you or anyone else knows it's been updated, let me know
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #190
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
When I tried to re-download my LIT copy (the omnibus version) from FW last year (back before LIT was killed off as a format by MS) it couldn't be re-downloaded. FW support replaced my copy with the eReader version, but the last time I checked (maybe 4 months back) that version still hadn't been updated I'll check it again and post back.

I just went ahead and re-bought it for $8 in ePub using a Kobo coupon rather than updating my LIT version.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #191
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just downloaded the Omnibus version and it seems to be the fixed edition finally.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #192
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I just rechecked the eReader version and while I didn't check every single error the ones I did check were still there.

FWIW the copyright page in the eReader version mentions...
Quote:
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-007-32259-6
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #193
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
OK, I just rechecked the eReader version and while I didn't check every single error the ones I did check were still there.

FWIW the copyright page in the eReader version mentions...
The fixed ePub version has....

Quote:
EPub Edition MARCH 2009 ISBN: 978-0-061-95287-6
Old 06-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #194
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I just went ahead and re-bought it for $8 in ePub using a Kobo coupon rather than updating my LIT version.
There's no way I'll rebuy it (already paid for the books and ebooks), I'll contact fictionwise to see what they can do, failing that, I'm sure I'll manage to get a fixed version.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #195
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The fixed ePub version has....
So a different ISBN, but the same date.

Shrugs, my ePub has a different eISBN (E-ISBN: 978-0-547-95194-2) with no date, but it's from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (even though it references Harper Collins on the copyright page).

It would be helpful if they put a version number or something somewhere.