Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So why are the errors in the 3-in-1 and not in the 1-in-1?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #167
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why are the errors in the 3-in-1 and not in the 1-in-1?
Earlier in the thread someone said the error had been fixed in the 3 volume edition, but not in the 1 volume edition. The 1 volume edition has just been released with the errors fixed.

As far as I can see, it seems likely that both editions have now been updated with the latest fixes, and distributed. I got mine from Fictionwise, which I was pleasantly surprised about.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #168
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As far as I can see, it seems likely that both editions have now been updated with the latest fixes, and distributed. I got mine from Fictionwise, which I was pleasantly surprised about.
Well I can say that as of last night the eReader version hasn't been updated. I originally bought the LIT version, but when I emailed FW about a download problem instead of contacting Ingram to figure out the error they switched my Tolkien books to eReader (which is as a format sucks IMO).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #169
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Well I can say that as of last night the eReader version hasn't been updated. I originally bought the LIT version, but when I emailed FW about a download problem instead of contacting Ingram to figure out the error they switched my Tolkien books to eReader (which is as a format sucks IMO).
Fictionwise will be having to produce the eReader version themselves, from either the ePub or the Mobipocket (Kindle) version. You could ask customer services about it. They are still reading their mail.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #170
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
FWIW department:

I have both the original version of the 3-in-1 and the new, corrected version loaded into Calibre. The original version's mobi file is 2908 kb, the new version (with restored missing content) is 4459 kb.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #171
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
FWIW department:

I have both the original version of the 3-in-1 and the new, corrected version loaded into Calibre. The original version's mobi file is 2908 kb, the new version (with restored missing content) is 4459 kb.
Continuing on the FWIW trail, that 4459kB version appears to be what I got a couple of weeks ago, buying from Australia, although mine is actually a 4450kB mobi in Calibre. The ASID for my book is B004U3A94A. When I saw the reference to a new version here, I re-feteched it from Amazon and it was no different to the one I already had (I exported the old and new as text and both were identical).

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #172
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Continuing on the FWIW trail, that 4459kB version appears to be what I got a couple of weeks ago, buying from Australia, although mine is actually a 4450kB mobi in Calibre. The ASID for my book is B004U3A94A. When I saw the reference to a new version here, I re-feteched it from Amazon and it was no different to the one I already had (I exported the old and new as text and both were identical).

Cheers,
Simon.
I download from fictionwise on 17 April, and got a file that was 4514572 bytes long (just under 4409 KiB). I downloaded on 13 May and got a file that was 4565360 bytes long (just over 4458 KiB).

So it seems that the updated version arrived sometime after 17 April and before 13th May, and judging from snarkophilus's comment, before, say, 3rd May.

So if you haven't got a fresh copy since the start of May, get one now.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #173
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I download from fictionwise on 17 April, and got a file that was 4514572 bytes long (just under 4409 KiB). I downloaded on 13 May and got a file that was 4565360 bytes long (just over 4458 KiB).

So it seems that the updated version arrived sometime after 17 April and before 13th May, and judging from snarkophilus's comment, before, say, 3rd May.

So if you haven't got a fresh copy since the start of May, get one now.
According to Amazon, I got it on 21 April. Both the azw file in My Kindle Content and the mobi file in Calibre are 4557604 bytes long.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #174
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks Pdurrant for your input on errors in the book.
I wonder if there will ever be a fully error free version ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM   #175
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
According to Amazon, I got it on 21 April. Both the azw file in My Kindle Content and the mobi file in Calibre are 4557604 bytes long.
With help from Simon, I carefully compared the all-in-one version from Amazon and from Fictionwise. They have identical content.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #176
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Thanks Pdurrant for your input on errors in the book.
I wonder if there will ever be a fully error free version ?
The current version seems to have fixed all the known outstanding errors. Now that (I hope) they do have it in a proper XML database, the number of errors in editions should decrease with time.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #177
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ok guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if this is an issue we all have but I just found out by chance that at the end of the book, appendix F "THE LANGUAGES AND PEOPLES OF THE THIRD AGE" appears double. In other words at the end of the appendix F, it's the appendix F all over again ...
Should I freak out and throw myself out of my window ?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #178
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Ok guys, I don't know if this has been mentioned before or if this is an issue we all have but I just found out by chance that at the end of the book, appendix F "THE LANGUAGES AND PEOPLES OF THE THIRD AGE" appears double. In other words at the end of the appendix F, it's the appendix F all over again ...
Should I freak out and throw myself out of my window ?
This happened in the version that was available in April, but the very latest version, that became available after 17th April and before 13th May does not have this error.

If you have the Kindle version, delete your copy and download a fresh copy. If you bought at Fictionwise, which version? I know that the Mobipocket format one has been updated.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Has the ePub version been updated?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #180
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Has the ePub version been updated?
I don't know. I'd expect so, as I'm pretty sure the Kindle and Fictionwise Mobipocket editions are generated from the ePub.

Whether any particular retailer has the ePub version I also don't know.