Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Rooted Nook Applications - Which ones to Install?

Hi everyone,

Yesterday i just rooted my new nook (fw 1.4.3) and gained adb access.

Now i have a dilemma : which applications to install?

In nookdevs (apps link) is the explanation to each application, but is not very detail.

E.G : Should i install nooklauncher or mynook.ru launcher? or both?

What are your experiences on this issue?

Thanks!
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
The one I use all the time is trook. I use calibre2opds to create a catalog of my entire library, and to copy both catalog and library to the microSD card in my nook. Trook then provides convenient access to all 2000+ books. I don't use the other rooted Nook apps at all.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary; Void where prohibited; Dolphin Safe; Cholesterol Free.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I use trook as well, but I don't copy the catalog to the SD card, I get an RSS feed with my catalogued books and download them when I need one.

Other than that, I just like the cover flow! :P
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
I use the mynook.ru firmware because of the Romanian language support in the included fonts.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolfe View Post
E.G : Should i install nooklauncher or mynook.ru launcher? or both?
Install one or the other, not both. They both implement the "home" screen, because the default B&N launcher doesn't allow you to easily add buttons when you install new packages.

Probably the most popular nookdevs package is nookLibrary. It is the main reason many people softroot in the first place.

I also like nookMarket; I use it to install nookdevs packages over wifi, so I don't have to bother with adb.
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
is the mynook.ru launcher included with the softroot the latest version? i tried to download and install the latest through nookmarket, but it wouldn't let me install. do i need to adb?
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post
is the mynook.ru launcher included with the softroot the latest version? i tried to download and install the latest through nookmarket, but it wouldn't let me install. do i need to adb?
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to find out what is in 2.4.1. I have seen posts here from people who know, but searching for 30 minutes at nookdev was no help for me. Adding to the problem, Android Commander does not report the version of the application and 2.4.1 is full of old applications.

You could try Android Commander and use the "update" option.

If I could program, the first thing I would do would be to develop an app that would give me the version of my apps.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Kolfe
Enthusiast
Kolfe began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for telling your experiencies...

Finally i installed all aplications, excepting script, busybox & antivirus.

I couldn't install Pandora neither, because i'm not in us.

I installed manually : Twook, Mynook.ru Launcher & Nookmarket.

through Nook market intalled all apps in the last versions... I think this is the best way to have all apps in their latest versions.
Kolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #9
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Most apps in the softroot package are outdated. If there's a newer version available it is marked in nookMarket
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I forgot about that app. I was thinking the other day how it would be cool to have larger icons in the cover flow.....I log into the nookMarket and there it is, a new version of the Library! I need to check that more often LOL.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
barrist
Enthusiast
barrist began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I hope the 1.5 upgrade (and the softroot for it) brings better battery life. It seems to me it drains a lot quicker than I thought it would. I’ve tried all the tips I read about (turning off adb in wifi locker, making sure trook isn’t running, and also in airplane mode all the time pretty much).
barrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard

I just have mine to airplane mode and it lasts about 5-6 days AT LEAST. I turn on Wi-Fi only when needed, and to me, if I can't find a place to charge in 5-6 days then I need to figure out where I'm at because I'm lost! LOL.