Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #91
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That would be "Daughter of Duck", thank you very much! I'm all a Kindle-fire so I had to waddle back in.
Daffy have you downloaded the new Kind book? UR? Its only $2.99
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #92
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The MobileRead name was recognized by a handful of people. "Oh, you're the site where we got those pictures". That was fun.

The page turn was faster. The Kindle2 also used more gui menus. I would guess this was made possible by the joystick.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #93
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The MobileRead name was recognized by a handful of people. "Oh, you're the site where we got those pictures". That was fun.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #94
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I'm not interested in the robotic reader either. Also, not having an SD card option is a deal killer for me.

16 shades of gray is nice, but not enough to make me go out and get one. So ... I'm sticking with my original Kindle(s).

Maybe they'll come up with something good enough to make me want to upgrade in the Mark III or Mark IV.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #95
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
That would be "Daughter of Duck", thank you very much! I'm all a Kindle-fire so I had to waddle back in.
YAAAAAY!!! HOOORAAAAYYYYY!!

It really just hasn't been the same here without you, Daffy, dear.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #96
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It may have been said before, but "Whispersync" does indeed sync data over Whispernet. This is a feature that should be on the Kindle 1.
By "should" I assume you mean "is". It is included in the just released firmware 1.2 for the Kindle 1.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #97
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Daffy have you downloaded the new Kind book? UR? Its only $2.99
Of course I did! As soon as it was mentioned on the live blog I surfed over and got it (I had ordered 2 Kindle 2's earlier ).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #98
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I'm not interested in the robotic reader either.
There has been such a large number of requests for this feature on the Amazon forums. The visually impaired can listen to audiobooks but now they have the option of listening to other types of documents on their Kindles as well.

I'm glad it's an option.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #99
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
By "should" I assume you mean "is". It is included in the just released firmware 1.2 for the Kindle 1.
Yes, I have it on my Kindle. But I do not have a second Kindle to test it so I can make sure that it does work over Whispernet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #100
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
YAAAAAY!!! HOOORAAAAYYYYY!!

It really just hasn't been the same here without you, Daffy, dear.
Thank you ma'am! I was in Texas for the holidays (remember our Cedar Creek conversations) and found a 1x Whispernet connection at my mother's house, so a new Kindle 2 is on the way for her.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #101
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Well... I know you are a girl duck. I was using "son of a duck" and an exlamation sort of like Son of a bi.... er... Lord Love a Duck.

Good to see you again. We missed you. The Visual Kindle Guide has been stagnating.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #102
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... I know you are a girl duck. I was using "son of a duck" and an exlamation sort of like Son of a bi.... er... Lord Love a Duck.

Good to see you again. We missed you. The Visual Kindle Guide has been stagnating.

BOb
I missed you too Mr. Penguin. We birds gotta stick together.

On the Visual Guide, I've chatted with Leep about updating it to include Calibre use and add any updates for Kindle 2 if necessary. Let's just play it by ear for now.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #103
Sparhawk2k
Sparhawk2k is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I don't have a reader yet but I had been looking forward to seeing the new Kindle. It doesn't have me as excited as I was hoping though... Especially since it seems to have removed things like the SD reader.

I really wish there was more compatibility between formats in general without having to do a lot of tricky conversions and just hoping some random update doesn't break things.
Sparhawk2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #104
Canyoncarver
Canyoncarver began at the beginning.

Device: none
My biggest objection to the Kindle is still the DRM system for the books that pretty much guarantees that eventually your Kindle books will be unusable when Amazon/Kindle technology no longer exists.

Unless eventually Amazon pulls an Apple and offers to make them DRM free for something like a 30% up-charge.

I realize that the publishers are the ones pushing for this but it's still disappointing that Amazon can't do anything to get the ball moving forward on watermarking over DRM protection of the books.

The other disappointment is the lack of improved contrast for regular text and the ability to display books/magazines in the fonts they actually are published on in paper form.

That's about it though for the minuses, on the whole the new device looks like a very nice refresh!
Canyoncarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #105
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyoncarver View Post
My biggest objection to the Kindle is still the DRM system for the books that pretty much guarantees that eventually your Kindle books will be unusable when Amazon/Kindle technology no longer exists.
Yes, well... fill in the blank:

My biggest objection to the ________ is still the DRM system for the books that pretty much guarantees that eventually your _______ books will be unusable when ____________ technology no longer exists.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote