Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I am not making any claim as to how well the 505 charges via a computer's USB port, I have never used one, but the fact is that despite what is being said to the contrary, both the 505's formal specification and its manual state that it does charge via a computer's USB port.

The fact that a device has separate provision for a dedicated non USB charger connection, as well, has no direct bearing on whether it will USB charge or not, it has been relatively common for devices to have ports for both USB and non USB charging on the same device, albeit becoming less common now (my own phone, for example, provides for both charging methods).

Generally, regardless of what people claim, my usual reaction is that there is some other problem if a device specified as capable of USB charging is not charging.

That includes the possibility of a failed USB charge controller in the device (or its associated software), the computer's USB port has a problem or does not contend correctly with the device's charge controller, a USB hub is being used (especially if non powered), the battery has an internal problem, or the battery has become completely discharged (at least to the minimum level allowed by the devices charge controller, modern devices protect the battery against complete discharge) and the user has not allowed enough charge time for the battery to recover to a level the device will allow itself to power up on again (this may be a very long time with older PC's that have USB ports with limited mAh current capacity (it may be as low as 100mAh in older PCs and which will be many times lower than the charge rate the device is capable of).

As I started out with, it may be that all 505s have a particular design problem of their own but it is incorrect to claim that they are not specified to support USB charging or that the provision of a separate dedicated DC charge port means they will not USB charge.
If you actually read the thread and 505 full details, you would see that the charging by USB concerns being connected to a COMPUTER by USB not a CHARGER and (unless specifically wired to mimic a computers connections by shorting data pins) a USB to USB charger will not work - this has been covered numerous times in numerous threads and confirmed by users with actual experiments - your disbelief will not change the facts...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The PRS-505 will charge (slowly) from USB _IF_ it's connected to a computer --- the computer responds to the device's communications efforts, so it doesn't drain the battery --- it's only a ``dumb'' USB power-only connection which won't work and will run down the battery as described.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you actually read the thread and 505 full details, you would see that the charging by USB concerns being connected to a COMPUTER by USB not a CHARGER and (unless specifically wired to mimic a computers connections by shorting data pins) a USB to USB charger will not work - this has been covered numerous times in numerous threads and confirmed by users with actual experiments - your disbelief will not change the facts...
I will avoid using the rude tone you have used in your response and just say a rereading of my post by yourself, backed by some very little understanding of the matter, will confirm that I am indeed referring to "charging by USB concerns being connected to a COMPUTER by USB not a CHARGER ".

In his initial post roodap, the original poster, referred to Computer USB to reader USB charging and that is the nub of the thread to which I responded.

Any problems with a dedicated charger and their use with a devices USB port for charging on older devices are well known and the answers are simple (I have a very strong background in device charging), but I will not go into those (which do not require modifying cables) as it will only promote rude disagreements from some.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-13-2014 at 05:10 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:19 PM   #19
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I will avoid using the rude tone you have used in your response and just say a rereading of my post by yourself, backed by some very little understanding of the matter, will confirm that I am indeed referring to "charging by USB concerns being connected to a COMPUTER by USB not a CHARGER ".

In his initial post roodap, the original poster, referred to Computer USB to reader USB charging and that is the nub of the thread to which I responded.
And I was responding to the OP's initial post as well - QUOTE "there is no mains charger supplied with this reader and i cannot find one by any search.
i have many 5.2 VDC mains adapters but no connector matches with the reader power DC connector

any suggestions for me?"QUOTE as most of this post (13+ posts) was also dealing with the PSU part of the post...

Last edited by elcreative; 02-13-2014 at 05:22 PM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #20
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
And I was responding to the OP's initial post as well - QUOTE "there is no mains charger supplied with this reader and i cannot find one by any search.
i have many 5.2 VDC mains adapters but no connector matches with the reader power DC connector

any suggestions for me?"QUOTE as most of this post (13+ posts) was also dealing with the PSU part of the post...
It looks as if my knowledge of the subject has made you feel threatened and very angry. That was not an intended result.

Have a nice day, I'll leave the stage to you.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #21
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I've had a 505 since the early days, and didn't like having to buy the Sony A/C (Mains) adapter at the retail price they were selling it for back then (my out-the-store cost topped $300 for the reader and cover and adapter!). The reason I bought the adapter was because of a thread here on Mobileread back then, where the conclusion was that you effectively had to use the barrel plug charger. Trying anything via USB was futile, according to those owners. (Though maybe some charged successfully when left on USB for an inordinately long time? I forget.)

I've never tried charging via USB, just trusted those posters' experiences. I'd be interested to hear of any USB charging successes.

I've occasionally seen threads over the years on this topic, and the PSP charger always solved the 505 owner's charging problems. AnotherCat's logic is most probably correct in saying "it may be that all 505s have a particular design problem of their own". That's my guess.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've never tried charging via a usb charger, just the Sony charger which was bought for me as a present when I bought the reader. However, I have tried charging via the pc. This is incredibly frustrating because, unlike when using the correct charger, you cannot use the reader while it's attached to the pc and it takes ages to charge. If I let the computer go to sleep or hibernate while the reader is attached via the usb, it seems to actually drain the reader battery.

In conclusion, in my experience, it's quicker, easier and less likely to drain the battery if you use the proper charger or equivalent, such as a PSP charger. But, if you want to use a usb mains charger, go ahead, it's your reader.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #23
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I used to use the USB to charge my PRS-505 --- attached it to my machine at work once a week when I arrived, then had to remember to detach it and take it home in the evening --- it worked, but the PSP charger I picked up from a video game store was much more convenient.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #24
roodap
roodap began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
the old ac2n noka powersupply works nicely and charges my reader real fast.
which was taking 2 3 hrs in the usb connection now charged in 45 minutes on the charger.
thanks for all replies which prompted me to look for mains charger.
all these years t was just lying in y junk collection.

http://imgur.com/xFFz1E3
roodap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I am going to also vote for buying a Sony PSP charger. It has the following advantages compared to charging over USB:

1) Faster - most laptops won't supply as much current as a dedicated charging device
2) Doesn't mount the 505's filesystem - so you can continue to use the reader while it is charging. I've also had file corruption issues once or twice when connected to a computer for too long (may have been on old firmware though; it was a long time ago so I don't remember)
3) No scan after unplugging - your 505 is ready for you to use immediately after unplugging instead of spinning the wheel, re-indexing your books
4) More robust/durable - you are spreading out your plugging/unplugging over two ports so each should last longer
radius is offline   Reply With Quote