Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Freezing After Update

I just purchased a Kobo Glo today, and no matter how I set it up, the reader freezes after the automatic update. It seems to happen whenever I try to access the Wi-Fi.

When I first tried to set it up, I used wireless only. I was able to connect to my home wi-fi with no problem, and after the reader downloaded the software update, rebooted and installed the update, I was sent back to the setup process, just as before. When I get to the wireless setup page, it freezes either while I'm entering my wireless password or after I choose "Join." I did a soft reset several times and tried again, but I always freeze at that point.

I did a factory reset and tried again, using the desktop software. I was able to sync all of my books through the desktop software, but it still froze when trying to access the wi-fi. At one point it froze when I was on page 5 of the welcome screens. It has also frozen in the table of contents of the first book I tried to open. (I believe, in that case, I closed out of the wi-fi setup after syncing my books through the desktop software.)

I've tried everything I can think of. I'm on a pretty routine system at home - a MacBook Pro and a Mac Airport. Again, I was able to access the wi-fi without a problem when I first started the setup process, before any update was done.

Any suggestions as to what I could try next?

Thanks -

Courtney
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
If you just bought the device today, I would just go return it for another one. Even if you can get past the issue (I don't know if there even is anything else you could try at this point), you don't want a similar problem recurring after your return period expires.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would do that, but it would take me more than an hour to get there and back, and I really don't have time for that again today. If I don't get it figured out this weekend, I will exchange it on Monday. Thanks for your response!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
cghipp
Zealot

Well, I'm giving up. I finally got to the point where I could connect via wi-fi, but it is freezing every time I try to do anything (turn the light on, change the settings, etc.). Very frustrating!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
Well, I'm giving up. I finally got to the point where I could connect via wi-fi, but it is freezing every time I try to do anything (turn the light on, change the settings, etc.). Very frustrating!
Have you tried manually downloading the glo firmware? and Installing it that way? It could be a corrupt download you have for whatever reason.. Although if you did a reset and redid things then I cant see it downloading corrupt all the time unless theres a blip on the server that your device is receiving from. You can find the latest firmware here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Make sure you download the one specific to the glo if thats the

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
cghipp
Zealot

Thanks for your advice. I did the factory reset several times, so it doesn't seem likely to be the download. Would manually downloading the firmware void the warranty?

I can't even turn it off and on without having to do a pinhole reset. If I start reading and set it down long enough to go get a drink from the kitchen, I have to reset it when I get back. I've tried an all-wireless setup, all-desktop setup, syncing on the computer after wireless setup and vice versa... Nothing gives me a stable environment.

So I'm going to exchange it tomorrow and, if the store has wi-fi, set up the new one while in the store to make sure it works. I love the device itself - the page turns are much faster and less "blinky" than on my Sony PRS-T1, and the light is very even and not as harsh as I expected. It's definitely worth another try IMO.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice. I did the factory reset several times, so it doesn't seem likely to be the download. Would manually downloading the firmware void the warranty?

I can't even turn it off and on without having to do a pinhole reset. If I start reading and set it down long enough to go get a drink from the kitchen, I have to reset it when I get back. I've tried an all-wireless setup, all-desktop setup, syncing on the computer after wireless setup and vice versa... Nothing gives me a stable environment.

So I'm going to exchange it tomorrow and, if the store has wi-fi, set up the new one while in the store to make sure it works. I love the device itself - the page turns are much faster and less "blinky" than on my Sony PRS-T1, and the light is very even and not as harsh as I expected. It's definitely worth another try IMO.
Fair question, but one I can not answer. It varies via country by country.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
cghipp
Zealot

Well, thanks to jackastor I decided to tie another length to the end of my rope and keep on going... After a couple of false starts (I had to use the Mac terminal to view hidden files on the Kobo, then realized I had to transfer the files of the unzipped folder to the .kobo folder, NOT the contents of the zip file) I got it to update without downloading an update. When I started to set up the reader and it gave me the "downloading updates" message I got a sinking feeling, but then a few seconds later it gave me a "Your e-reader is up to date!" message that I had not seen before. So far I have been able to do a wireless setup, download my existing purchases, connect to Facebook, and navigate through my books without reaching for the reset pin, which is a 180-degree turn from my previous experience.

Thanks so much for your help, jackastor! And thanks to kobokobe as well, because I was going to be taking your advice tomorrow if I didn't get anywhere before then.

Courtney
Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
cghipp
Zealot

Spoke too soon! I can't even get through a short story without having to do a soft reset a couple of times. What's really weird is that it freezes if I don't interact with it fast enough. For example, if I reset it and I get to the home page, if I don't select a book or a menu right away it will freeze. If I take too long between page turns it will freeze, and it never remembers my last page read or even the last book read.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Yikes. I wouldn't take any chance with that. Do a factory reset (hopefully that will get rid of the new issues), then get it exchanged citing the original problem.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Never mind.....

Last edited by NNolan; 11-12-2012 at 08:37 AM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
cghipp
Zealot

I exchanged my Kobo Glo during my lunch hour today, and the new one is working perfectly. What a relief! Thanks to all for your help.

Courtney
Old 11-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
I exchanged my Kobo Glo during my lunch hour today, and the new one is working perfectly. What a relief! Thanks to all for your help.

Courtney
Glad your up and running. Thats gotta put the stress down, and the reading enjoyment up!

regards

Jack
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Wow, it's a shame you went through all that. Glad the new one is good. I hope they mark the really wonky returns so someone back at Kobo can learn from them... if they ever get back that far rather than just going to a regional repair center where a firmware update or board swap are probably the likeliest procedures.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
cghipp
Zealot

I did email the store yesterday afternoon to let them know that my new reader was running just fine, and the store owner emailed back to let me know they had tested the one I returned and also found it to be defective. So I'm also hoping that means it gets sent back with a big X on it somewhere and doesn't get into a general returns pool.

Courtney (who now feels she is not tempting fate to add the Glo to my user profile...)