Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
From the cnet review:

"(I)t currently can't read Word or text files, which is a bit of a bummer."
(emphasis mine)

That's a big bummer. I'm always loading text files on my Kindle. Oh, well.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #32
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you can check books out of your local library with a Kindle
Not my library, I can't.

Not yet. I say Kindle knocks that wall down soon in its march to world domination.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #33
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I was wondering to myself why the nook would need to format books. Then an idea hit me. Maybe it is converting eReader to EPUB rather than reading it directly?

This would make sense if they are getting rid of the eReader file format as planned.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #34
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by arekieh View Post
Of them all i believe the PRS 600 has the quickest page turns by far. Opening books and finding books im sure is similar for all and seems pretty negligible if its gonna take you a couple seconds more to open a book when youll probably be reading for hours. Buying books with the kindle is obviously the fastest..... prs 600 slowest since you have to transfer.

What is glitchy about the PRS 300 or 600? (i currently have a 300 and its never been slow or glitchy for me), the 600 looks extremely glitchy for annotation but im never going to use that so it doesnt bother me. But where else did you experience it being glitchy.
I tried the Sony Reader Touch (PRS600) at Best Buy and the entire interface was glitchy. Navigating through the menus and page turns were both iffy - you never knew if it registered your click (or touch) or not.

The PRS300 seemed a bit better, and the screen was much better.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #35
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I tried the Sony Reader Touch (PRS600) at Best Buy and the entire interface was glitchy. Navigating through the menus and page turns were both iffy - you never knew if it registered your click (or touch) or not.

The PRS300 seemed a bit better, and the screen was much better.
the prs is amazing to be honest, i just want more functionality. From everything ive seen of the prs 600 its really fast and responsive, couldve been defective or demo unit being glitchy but i dunno. I guess ill know in a couple days when mine arrives.
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #36
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Some aspects look great, but slow page turns would be annoying. The capacitive screen isn't as responsive as some. The problem with capacitive screens is that most people use the iPhone screen as a point of reference, and that'd a very highly responsive screen. So going to the nook capacitive would feel sluggish.

They say is slower than the Kindle on screen refreshes? That's a bit sad too. What I take from the device review - innovative and interesting new features, but the hardware is a little lacking in terms of refresh rates and capacitive screen response.

I love the look of it, but definitely worth waiting for V2 with faster hardware.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #37
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The problem with capacitive screens is that most people use the iPhone screen as a point of reference, and that'd a very highly responsive screen.
Also, the iPhone screen is glass, which I think feels better for certain touch/swipe actions (at least it does to me-also, my notebook's glass trackpad is much more responsive-feeling to me than my old plastic one)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #38
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I was wondering to myself why the nook would need to format books. Then an idea hit me. Maybe it is converting eReader to EPUB rather than reading it directly?

This would make sense if they are getting rid of the eReader file format as planned.
You know, I now think that B&N is just applying a fancy name for a loading screen. The "formatting" takes about 3-5 seconds on the SlashGear review.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote