Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #16
arekieh
Connoisseur
arekieh began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 (OTW), PRS-300B (For Sale)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
While I'm sure what they said is every bit true, it still sounds better than its competition in quite a number of ways. Sony's current devices also have slow, laggy, and unresponsive firmware from my experiences with them. The real question is: How does the Nook's usability compare to those? I didn't feel that the reviewer did an adequate job of comparing it to its competition.

I would like to see timing and execution of the following scenarios with the Nook, Kindle, and Sony Touch Edition:
* Buying a book
* Finding your book in your library
* Opening your book
* Turning pages
* Interacting with links and TOC

I'm tempted to just buy all of them after Christmas and taxes...I spend hours reading on an average day anyway.
Of them all i believe the PRS 600 has the quickest page turns by far. Opening books and finding books im sure is similar for all and seems pretty negligible if its gonna take you a couple seconds more to open a book when youll probably be reading for hours. Buying books with the kindle is obviously the fastest..... prs 600 slowest since you have to transfer.

What is glitchy about the PRS 300 or 600? (i currently have a 300 and its never been slow or glitchy for me), the 600 looks extremely glitchy for annotation but im never going to use that so it doesnt bother me. But where else did you experience it being glitchy.
arekieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Not sure how anyone could be surprised by the review results...
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #18
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Here's another review

http://technologizer.com/2009/12/06/nook-review/

Last edited by nick101; 12-07-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Updated the url to a more sensible one
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #19
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

I note that the review I posted talks about everything except how good the reading screen is for, er, reading

Last edited by nick101; 12-07-2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I note that the review I posted talks about everything except how good the reading screen is for, er, reading
Can that not be taken for granted? I would have thought that the interesting thing is how this device is different from other E-ink devices.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #21
nick101
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Can that not be taken for granted? I would have thought that the interesting thing is how this device is different from other E-ink devices.
Fair point, but given the continuing debate about whether reader x has an easier screen to read than reader y, I think it's worth mentioning. Different devices have different implementations of the basic system: more or less contrast; more or less reflective screen; greater or lesser control over type size; choice of typeface ...

I mean, given that the primary function of the thing is to read stuff, I'd have thought some mention of the reading experience might have been in order.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #22
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
From the consumer's point of view, spending more money should be the most difficult thing to do, not the easiest and most pleasant.
I'm not so sure that's true. One of the most oft-cited reasons for p-only readers not switching to e-books is the bookstore browsing and shopping experience. It makes sense that a company with a b&m background would try to address this.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
And here's a couple more reviews:

http://gizmodo.com/5420216/barnes--noble-nook-review

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a_dznkJ1VAtA
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Another potentially nifty feature is the ability to lend digital books to a friend who’s using a Nook or an iPhone or computer running Barnes & Noble’s e-reader software. If your offer to lend is accepted, the book appears on the borrower’s device for 14 days, while it’s locked on yours for the duration.

The two-week period can’t be extended, nor can the same person borrow the book again. While that lack of flexibility might be a bit of a drag, at least you’re guaranteed to get your book back. Not all publishers will let their books be lent, but Barnes & Noble says more than half of the commercial e-books in its million-title store will be available. The feature hasn’t yet launched; in testing over the weekend, I was able to borrow books, but not lend them.
Just to be clear, you can only lend a book once (once it has been lent, you cannot (ever) lend it out again), right?

I understand that the publisher has to enable lending. If they do allow lending, can they allow it more then once?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #25
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Hmp... doesnt looks good in my opinion. I am going to have to take a trip to B&N to take a look
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just to be clear, you can only lend a book once (once it has been lent, you cannot (ever) lend it out again), right?

I understand that the publisher has to enable lending. If they do allow lending, can they allow it more then once?
once. one time ever. never again. that ship has sailed
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #27
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
There were two things that struck me:

1) The nook doesn't look like it will be user friendly for Seniors. The navigation seems too complicated. Hopefully, there will be lots of videos to help people get used to it.

2) With all the touch action happening on the bottom, I found myself (in my head) wanting to use touch on the e-ink screen on top as well.

On the whole I thought the review was positive since there are no perfect ebook readers (they all have some kind of issue).
Daffy, I agree with both your points. I had thought about buying the nook, but now I'm more inclined to wait and see the new iRex 800 or even consider the Sony Touch or Daily Edition.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Daffy, I agree with both your points. I had thought about buying the nook, but now I'm more inclined to wait and see the new iRex 800 or even consider the Sony Touch or Daily Edition.
If you're determined to not go with the Kindle, I'd encourage this. I'm thinking of adding a Sony device so that I can check e-books out of my local library.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #29
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
If you're determined to not go with the Kindle, I'd encourage this. I'm thinking of adding a Sony device so that I can check e-books out of my local library.
you can check books out of your local library with a Kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #30
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

What I find odd is that Adobe seems to be claiming responsibility for the LendMe kerfuffle. Adobe's Content Server FAQ regarding the nook reads:
Quote:
Q: When will more details on LendMe be available?
A: Adobe will be in a position to share further information with Barnes & Noble after nook has shipped by the end of November 2009 as Barnes & Noble announced.
B&N probably would have been better off saying "Adobe says you'll be able to lend e-books."
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote