Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
iolas
iolas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best ebook for comp. science books

I have been wanting to get a kindle for awhile now as I buy books with my amazon prime account all the time. I would like to get a kindle for this, but I also need a reader that does well with computer science books. I see that some of the comp sci books are already sold in the amazon format which I would assume works well with the kindle. However, I'm sure some I would like to read are in PDF.

What would be the best option for me? Does anyone have any experience reading computer science books with the code portions?

Thanks.
iolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi iolas, welcome to Mobileread!

I must admit that I don't have any experience with computer science books in mobi (=Kindle) or epub format. But I think, as you've already mentioned, that most of your books will be in pdf and there the code portions are like in the paper book.

In this case it is highly advisable that you investigate 10" readers, you won't be happy with a 6" device. There are Kindle DX, Pocketbook 902/903 and Onyx M90/91 (published only now). Is it important for you to be able to make annotations?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I read computer books! And know exactly what are you referring to, the code portion!

Actually, the reason why I bough the Kindle DXG and later the Kindle 3: Amazon ebook store for computer books.

The Nook was my 1st eink ereader but was I not able to find good prices and good titles on B&N; the good books (computer related) are being sold by O'reilly and Amazon.

Having said that, I like the Kindle DXG and most recently I am using the iPad and Kindle app.

Kindle 3 is surprising me these recent days because new ebooks are being formatted better for small screens, so the code lines do not cut off or wrapped around themselves. Do not worry about PDF books or format if you are buying new from Amazon. I find the books I want 99.9% of the time on Amazon, so I don't need the PDF format anyway. If not, I check on O'reilly and they sell the ebooks on mobi/epub/pdf format, a bundle, so will work anyway on the Kindle, no conversion needed, they are DRM free.

I suggest you the Kindle DXG as 1st choice and Kindle 3 as second.

Last edited by jocampo; 05-13-2011 at 09:20 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote