Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Barnes & Noble takes over 2 Days to Process Ebook Order??

I ordered the Terra Incognita ebook from Barnes & Noble on Tuesday night. As soon as I ordered it I tried to download it and was told "This title is unavailable to download. Either your payment method was declined, a refund was issued, or charge-back was applied to this item. Contact our Customer Service..."

I immediately called American Express and was told that the charge was approved and already had come through my account.

I called B&N. Closed for the night. Waited for the next day but forgot to call until evening and again closed for the night. Called this morning and after an interminable wait (almost 10 minutes) was told their system is having a "delay" in processing payments and when it's fixed my book will be available.

This has got to be the most unbelievable bit of ecommerce I've ever encountered. How can B&N expect to compete with ebooks with this sort of thing? One of the attractions to ebooks is instant gratification—I buy the book and get it now. It boggles my mind that almost 2 days later they are still "processing" my payment even though Amex processed it instantly.

I'd expect this from some fly-by-night small website, but not from a large company.

Mind, I'm not ranting since I have tons of other books to read and am not stressed by the 99¢ I paid. I'm just amazed that in the increasingly competive ebook market that B&N could allow a problem like this go on so long. Not only don't I have the book I bought, but I've also wasted 30 minutes of my time called Amex and B&N. Not the way to build up customer loyalty.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
wow. That's pretty bad. I read they had major server problems around Christmas but I thought that was all worked out.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Once again, I'm so glad I bought a Kindle!!!
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
What does that have to do with anything? I have a Sony, but buy my books from wherever I want and strip/convert as needed.

-Marcy
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hmmm... my last B&N downloads were Sunday, and were available in a couple of minutes. I wonder what's going on. And, to vaughn... Kindle sucks.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I have a kindle as well, but I also purchase books from B&N. I'm not sure what you mean here.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Since the server problems at Christmas, B&N has a very long delay in processing the payment of orders (it seems to take 7 to 14 days before payment is charged on my card). The same is true for the download e-mail notification.
But books are immediately available for download after you have bought them.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Caltsar
Zealot
Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Caltsar has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: nook Touch, iPad, iPhone
I bought a bunch of books about two weeks ago, and the charges and download emails are just showing up today. They were, however, available for me to read right away. This seems to only be a recent development during the time right after Christmas as a book I bought yesterday has already been charged and the email was sent to me within minutes.
Caltsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
What geertm said. I still haven't received my e-mail notification of 2 books I got yesterday morning. Bu the books are on my Nook. I do know B&N has been sluggish. It takes awhile to get to the web page (well longer than amazon ) & it does take longer to navigate the web page. But I haven't had any problems with shopping on my Nook..... Hope I haven't jinxed myself.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Book in hand you make your way to the cash register. You hand them your credit card, they swipe it and a receipt is ejected from the print spool. You sign their copy of the receipt and they place yours in the bag along with the book you purchased. You smile and say thank you.

You then walk out of the store and go home. You open your bag and the book is not inside. "Ah, well, maybe the charge hasn't gone through yet!"

Days go by and still the bag is empty. You call customer service and are notified that because their payment processing system is crap (at least for now) your book will not materialize for a while.

You now sit and watch your bag, hoping for the appearance of your book.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Call B&N and tell them you called Amex and the transaction did go through. If they say it hasn't gone through, call Amex and tell them what has happened so Amex will give you the credit back.

Then go buy it from Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I ordered the Terra Incognita ebook from Barnes & Noble on Tuesday night. As soon as I ordered it I tried to download it and was told "This title is unavailable to download. Either your payment method was declined, a refund was issued, or charge-back was applied to this item. Contact our Customer Service..."

I immediately called American Express and was told that the charge was approved and already had come through my account.

I called B&N. Closed for the night. Waited for the next day but forgot to call until evening and again closed for the night. Called this morning and after an interminable wait (almost 10 minutes) was told their system is having a "delay" in processing payments and when it's fixed my book will be available.

This has got to be the most unbelievable bit of ecommerce I've ever encountered. How can B&N expect to compete with ebooks with this sort of thing? One of the attractions to ebooks is instant gratification—I buy the book and get it now. It boggles my mind that almost 2 days later they are still "processing" my payment even though Amex processed it instantly.

I'd expect this from some fly-by-night small website, but not from a large company.

Mind, I'm not ranting since I have tons of other books to read and am not stressed by the 99¢ I paid. I'm just amazed that in the increasingly competive ebook market that B&N could allow a problem like this go on so long. Not only don't I have the book I bought, but I've also wasted 30 minutes of my time called Amex and B&N. Not the way to build up customer loyalty.

-Marcy
Wow they have an issue with a system and your this up and arms? Mind you I do understand it can be a bit frustrating but to single them out?

Seriously? You or your company or anyone else you've ever dealt with has NEVER had system isuses?

well I'm glad that's not true, my wife would be out of a job

this site has gone down before. Our company's entire system has crashed before.

Heck look at this from a simple google search of "Problems with Amazon's Website"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ms+with+Amazon

I do understand frustration when things go down the way you want or don't work out smooth 100% of the time but in this day and age, issues with computers and their systems do have glitches . To single out Barnes and Noble like that is bit of a double standard dont you think?

Last edited by boswd; 01-20-2011 at 03:37 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
did you feel the same way on June 30th?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...326186048.html
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Wow they have an issue with a system and your this up and arms? Mind you I do understand it can be a bit frustrating but to single them out?

Seriously? You or your company or anyone else you've ever dealt with has NEVER had system isuses?

Heck look at this from a simple google search of "Problems with Amazon's Website"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ms+with+Amazon

I do understand frustration when things go down the way you want or don't work out smooth 100% of the time but in this day and age, issues with computers and their systems do have glitches . To single out Barnes and Noble like that is bit of a double standard dont you think?
I'm not "up in arms" just amazed that a big company could let this happen. As I said, this wasn't a rant, but my amazement this could even happen. I bought this book 2 days ago, my credit card was charged successfully 2 days ago, yet I'm told the charge is still processing and can't download my book.

In today's age of the internet and instant gratification this is a huge problem for the company. People expect when they buy an electronic item that it's delivered instantly.

I really don't understand your post at all. A big company like B&N should have a 24/7 IT dep't to ensure shopping on their website is smooth at all times. Internet sales are extremely competitive—once someone surfs away you have lost that sale and potentially a lot of future ones.

-Marcy
Old 01-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

If this problem hadn't been occurring for nearly a month now, I might be more understanding...
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote