Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
505 ac adapter sony psp

I just recieved an sony psp ac adapter from an ebay seller, channelexpert for $5.48 that included 4.99 for shipping, so basically the adapter cost me 49 cents. Tried it out with my 505 and it works perfectly. Anyone looking for an inexpensive ac adapter should check out ebay.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if you need an adaptor for the car, iGo with the PSP tip works very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I snagged one off Ebay as well for under $5. Works great
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Guys, I'm a newbie to the Sony Reader. Apart from its cost, would the AC Power Adapter do as good a job? If so, what are the advantages of the psp adapter ?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Guys, I'm a newbie to the Sony Reader. Apart from its cost, would the AC Power Adapter do as good a job? If so, what are the advantages of the psp adapter ?
It takes about 2 hours to charge from the AC adapter, whereas it takes about 4 to charge from USB. Also, USB charging is a bit flaky, for me at least...

Also, a power-socket-to-USB adapter will not work with the Reader. It just drains the battery that way.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I agree, the ac adapter is dependable charging for the 505, USB charging is problematic, for me anyway. The advantage of choosing the PSP adapter is the cost, well under $10 as opposed to the official reader charger from Sony which is over $30 I believe
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
Since the Sony Reader requires 5.2V and I have never seen a car adapter that is this specific on voltage, does the igo with PSP tip have this voltage or is a higher voltage acceptable (e.g.) 6.0V? Would a higher voltage such as this harm the reader over a long period of time? I am very interested in this type of charging device for trips and could see the usefulness of an auto charger for this device.
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks guys. I just ordered the Sony AC Adaptor.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinaryuser View Post
Since the Sony Reader requires 5.2V and I have never seen a car adapter that is this specific on voltage, does the igo with PSP tip have this voltage or is a higher voltage acceptable (e.g.) 6.0V? Would a higher voltage such as this harm the reader over a long period of time? I am very interested in this type of charging device for trips and could see the usefulness of an auto charger for this device.
I use the iGo PSP adaptor with mine regularly, and it works just fine. Generally speaking, you don't want to give a device more voltage than it calls for, or you risk letting out the magic smoke.

In this case, the reason we know that the PSP charger is okay to use, is that the Sony folks themselves use them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
I just recieved an sony psp ac adapter from an ebay seller, channelexpert for $5.48 that included 4.99 for shipping, so basically the adapter cost me 49 cents. Tried it out with my 505 and it works perfectly. Anyone looking for an inexpensive ac adapter should check out ebay.
No, the adapter cost you $5.48. And if I want to buy one, it will also cost me $5.48. Not a bad price, but don't let the eBay 'shipping cost' games fool you. The total price you pay to the seller is what the item's cost is.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
I know what it cost me, that the shipping price was high for an item this small, but paying 5.48 was well worth it in my opinion. I know all about eBay, I've been a buyer and seller for years.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
sebastien
Enthusiast
sebastien began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anyone ever tried a Nintedo DS charger with the 505?
sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien View Post
Anyone ever tried a Nintedo DS charger with the 505?
What are the specs?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #14
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, DS's have different (custom) sockets from either the mini-USB or the round ones on PSP's or PRS's!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
tidixon
Enthusiast
tidixon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure if anyone has posted these before, but if you are looking for cheap chargers I would suggest this company.

PSP AC Adapter $6.36 shipped
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.612

PSP Car Charger $3.83 shipped
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.729
tidixon is offline   Reply With Quote