Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
daedalus13
daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daedalus13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPC
Looking for a good reader for Blackberry Storm

I'm looking for a good reader for my Storm.

I am currently using Mobipocket, but I am not considering this as any more of a stop-gap solution, as they announced that they will not support autoscroll, something that I require in a reader (and Mobipocket had it on WinMobile, so I have no idea why they won't support it on the BB).

I have also tried out eReader, which seems nice, but has some problems reading PDB formats - it apparently only reads THEIR pdb format, and in order to convert what I have now to their format I need to purchase their converter (unless someone else knows of one that works for eReader). It also doesn't have autoscroll, but I am hoping this will be supported in a future release.

So - does anyone know of a decent Storm-native reader (something that doesn't only take up half the screen) reader that has autoscroll?

Thanks!
daedalus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus13 View Post
(unless someone else knows of one that works for eReader)
Calibre is working on eReader format support, see eReader test book request for Calibre. This is likely to do conversions very well once it is finished, and Calibre development cycles are short.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Bry
Bry began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
I've just joined up, so 'hi there' to start with. My question is similar to that above. I ahve a Storm and use the mobipocket software. I plan on buying an e-reader that uses epub and pdf (cool-er) and wondered if there was any software I'd missed that would enable me to use those books on my phone as well as my e-reader. Cheers

Last edited by Bry; 11-24-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: saved to early
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Bry: You can format shift most books that don't have DRM using calibre. If you have books with DRM it can still be done but will require some research on google.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
I ahve a Storm and use the mobipocket software. I plan on buying an e-reader that uses epub and pdf (cool-er) and wondered if there was any software I'd missed that would enable me to use those books on my phone as well as my e-reader.
For books without DRM (encryption), Calibre does a good job of converting both ways between ePub and MOBI. Its PDF capability is improving, so even PDF ebook to MOBI might work ok. Many ebooks you buy have DRM, but MOBI DRM can be circumvented using mobidedrm.py and Adobe DRM can be circumvented using ineptepub.pyw. This is probably legal in the US (for example) for personal use on ebooks you bought.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Bry
Bry began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Thanks. I was hoping that I could avoid doubling up my entire book collection, but it seems that is a pipe dream at the moment! No sweat - thanks for the suggestions - I've already used calibre - I will keep the other in mind too.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote