Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Kindle PW2's weight

Why does the Kindle Paperwhite 2 weigh more than comparable readers?

Kindle PW2 weight: 206 g
Nook Glowlight (2013): 175 g
Kobo Aura: 174 g

Someone suggested it was the magnets to make it work with the special cases that allow you to wake the Kindle PW by opening them. Is this true?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
imabuddha
Electron Choreographer
imabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverimabuddha exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, PW2, Kobo Glo, Nook SimpleTouch, iPad, iPhone…
No, the magnets are in the case itself. I can only guess at the reason it weighs more, but I think it's a combination of slightly larger size & the fact that it uses a frame in the middle which makes the device very solid.

See: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Kindle+P...lacement/13044
imabuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
I think battery could explain it. Paperwhite has a 1420 mAh battery, Kobo Aura HD has a 1500 mAh battery and weighs 240 g. The basic Kobo Aura is 174 g and I wouldn't be surprised to hear it has a smaller battery. Kobo Glo weighs 185 grams and has a 1000 mAh battery.

Related, I put on some Kindles with their official covers on the scale a while back:

Quote:
$69 Kindle 4B/5 naked: 168 grams (approx. 5.93 ounces)
$69 Kindle 4B/5 with official lighted cover: 313 g
PaperWhite 1 3G: 220 g
PaperWhite 1 3G with official case: 355 g

PaperWhite 2 is 6 grams lighter than PW1 and 3G looses 9 grams by official numbers, so PW2 Wi-Fi with official case: approx. 340 g

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/top...tml#msg2358786
Quote:
My PW2 is slightly skinnier than PW1, as the former has lost a little weight and the latter is also 3G, always a little heavier than Wi-Fi. The PW2 Wi-Fi weights 208 grams under my measurement, PW1 3G is 220 grams, so 12 grams difference. (On paper the difference should be 206 g vs. 222 g aka 16 g difference, roughly 9 g for 3G and 7 g generational weight loss.) Even though small, this is not an insignificant loss of weight as the minute I picked up the PW2 it did feel a little lighter.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4405&page=3#42
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
See this video for Kindle Paperwhite Teardown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phO4QkHWsVE

It has metallic isolations of every component (processor and memory), so it does not interfere with other eletronic functioning, thus weighting more and (finally) being allowed to be turned on in airplanes all the time: http://www.fastcompany.com/3018306/f...lane-electroni

The Paperwhite is very well constructed, in a way I doesn't think Nook and Kobo are.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote