Question page error on sony-readers

after...
importing a calibre converted epub,
setting appropriate headings (toc),
deleting a unneeded page,
doing other little formatting steps....
exporting to ebook readers PRS-600/350/650
works fine.
except that every new html-page is displayed on a new readerpage.
that doesn't make sense, in the middle of a text a page break!

is there a way to avoid that?

so i did....
inserting a chapter break before every heading,
renaming it with my chapternames of the book,
merging the rest with "merging previous" in proper way.
works not so fine!

with sigil bookview erverything is fine,
with the sony library reader... too.
BUT,
on every of my sony reader i got a PAGE ERROR,
trying to open that book.

after getting a kind of harsh response in the sigil project forum,
i am a little bit shy.
so i'll firstcheck first...

does anybody having an idea what happend?

a maybe...
is it 'cause the segments are to large now, a least one of it?
and how do i know?

Last edited by tscamera; 12-20-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: a maybe
tscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscamera View Post
after...
importing a calibre converted epub,
setting appropriate headings (toc),
deleting a unneeded page,
doing other little formatting steps....
exporting to ebook readers PRS-600/350/650
works fine.
except that every new html-page is displayed on a new readerpage.
that doesn't make sense, in the middle of a text a page break!

is there a way to avoid that?

so i did....
inserting a chapter break before every heading,
renaming it with my chapternames of the book,
merging the rest with "merging previous" in proper way.
works not so fine!

with sigil bookview erverything is fine,
with the sony library reader... too.
BUT,
on every of my sony reader i got a PAGE ERROR,
trying to open that book.

after getting a kind of harsh response in the sigil project forum,
i am a little bit shy.
so i'll firstcheck first...

does anybody having an idea what happend?

a maybe...
is it 'cause the segments are to large now, a least one of it?
and how do i know?
Look (set the cursor insert point with a click) at the place where the break happens.
Now switch to Code view.
Is there a <br /> or something else right there.
A new paragraph starting, wit orphan control in the CSS (class) might demand that a new page start. you could simply remove that line in the style sheet.
New FILES, typically start on a fresh page/screen. If the file1 is not huge, Use the Merge (the second part) with previous..
SAVE
If the line count is pretty high, try and pick a better place to split (so your file segment remains no larger that 200K, to be compatible with most readers)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
tscamera
Enthusiast
tscamera began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650 ... ipad
Lightbulb

thanks, so far.
but: counting the lines isn't siginificant for the size of a segment. having a couple of long lines could be the same as having a hundred of short ones..

do i have to wait, till sigil will have a size-column in the bookbrowser?
(as already requested in sigil-forum)

Last edited by tscamera; 12-21-2010 at 06:20 AM.
tscamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscamera View Post
thanks, so far.
but: counting the lines isn't siginificant for the size of a segment. having a couple of long lines could be the same as having a hundred of short ones..

do i have to wait, till sigil will have a size-column in the bookbrowser?
(as already requested in sigil-forum)
There is a Line counter in CV.

The only time to think about checking, is when the numbers approach 4 digits (when few to no images on that page) AND the whole EPUB is over 300K

To check segment size, Just unzip (use tweak e-pub in Calibre) the EPUB and look at the sizes, the discard the un-zip.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #5
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
posted in error

Last edited by deadgloves; 05-12-2011 at 12:00 AM.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
having a too-large segment WILL cause a page error on Sony.- it is very unforgiving.

I also have triggered it by overdoing merge with previous

run the book through calibre as an epub to epub conversion - that will check for & split any too-large segments.
open the output in sigil & see what changes it made, FYI., then retest on Sony.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The Sony will have a problem if the HTML is 300kb, not the whole epub. Please keep in mind that a 300kb is quite large for pure text. If you split your file for each chapter, it should not be a problem for normal books. You don't need to rename your files to be exact like the chapter names.

On a side note, if you validate the epub you have within Sigil, what are the results? Also, try to avoid Calibre for conversions, also for epub to epub. It generates a lot of redundant codeing and can make the code quite unreadable.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i thought ( but could be wrong) calibre epub to epub with heuristics OFF, would make hardly any code changes, but would check & split as needed.

anyway you could back up source then do the calibre thing simply to check if you are breaching the 260k limit ( calibre's default setting - somewhere in user preferences). note what splits have been added then restore your source & make same splits manually if you wish to preserve all other aspects of source code.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Could be that the specific setting you mentioned the amount of code changes is limited. If so, it would be applauded. However, I still would rather make the changes myself. Usually that is not much work (if you work clean) and not much slower.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
merging pages, page error, sony reader