Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
achara
achara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Using Calibre with Kobo

Hello,
I'm trying to use Calibre with my Kobo. When I plug it in, it recognizes the device and allows me to add filed to the Calibre library. When I try to drag the file into the device or click on "add to device", the file does not go onto my Kobo. Any suggestions?
achara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
when sending files to the device look at the bottom right and you will see the text Jobs with a number next to it. This is calibre sending files and metadata to your reader. When you have finished (Jobs say 0). You should be able to click on the device icon at the top and see your book added to it.

The book will only be accessible after you eject it and it process the content

Last edited by Nigol; 07-19-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
achara

Yes I've done all that.. watched the job until it says completed and when I click on my device library it says that it is there, but when I eject my kobo and try to read it, it's not there
Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Are you able to read those files with the Calibre built-in viewer?

After transferring the files to the Kobo via Calibre (and before ejecting the unit) can you see them via Windows Explorer on the Kobo? (I believe the default location would be in a folder <Author Name>?

When you eject the Kobo and unplug it, do you see the Kobo doing a scan to update it's database?

What version Kobo is it, and what version of firmware is on it?

Also; to send a book to the Kobo in Calibre, in Library view right click on the book, select Send to Device and then Send to Main Memory; or with the book highlighted, hit the D key to do the default action for Send to Device.

Last edited by PeterT; 07-19-2011 at 07:16 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
achara

When I unplug the Kobo, it says it updating.
The software for Calibre I downloaded today so I'm assuming it's the newest. And the Kobo was purchased in March.
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you used Kobo Desktop to ensure that the unit has the current firmware on?

Is it a Kobo, or Kobo WiFi. (I doubt it's a Kobo Touch as it was released in May).

To see the firmware release on the Kobo go to MENU | Settings and look for Device Info.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
achara

What program do I check this in?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

You check that on the Kobo itself (assuming you are referring to the firmware level).
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
achara

It says software version 1.9
Old 07-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

So that is a Kobo WiFi and that is the current level for WiFi. How about the other questions I asked???
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
Feisty
Book Nerd Extraordinaire
Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.Feisty knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Original and Kobo Touch
Sounds a lot like the problem I've been having on my Kobo Touch - books appear to load fine in Calibre, you can see them in the root directory on your computer, but they don't show up on the ereader and the "Processing" screen stays on forever.

See if there are two files named "driver.calibre.exe" and "metadata.calibre.exe" in the root folder of your ereader. I found that Calibre was downloading them automatically and when I delete them everything works fine (and no formatting issues appear so I'm not sure what the files are really for). Try attaching your Kobo, loading a few books and deleating the two Calibre files (if they're there) before you eject the reader, it worked well for me.

Goodluck!!
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
meandher57
Enthusiast
meandher57 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
It also sounds similar to the problems I was having. I could upload to the SD card on my Kobo, but not the main hard drive itself. Kobo sent me a replacement unit. I am still not sure whether the problem was with the SD card (there were other problems there!), Calibre, or the Kobo itself.
meandher57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feisty View Post
Sounds a lot like the problem I've been having on my Kobo Touch - books appear to load fine in Calibre, you can see them in the root directory on your computer, but they don't show up on the ereader and the "Processing" screen stays on forever.

See if there are two files named "driver.calibre.exe" and "metadata.calibre.exe" in the root folder of your ereader. I found that Calibre was downloading them automatically and when I delete them everything works fine (and no formatting issues appear so I'm not sure what the files are really for). Try attaching your Kobo, loading a few books and deleating the two Calibre files (if they're there) before you eject the reader, it worked well for me.

Goodluck!!
I agree with you, I think Calibre is providing Corrupt Meta data to the reader that affects Covers and othe issues such as you have mentioned. Not much to do other then make a report to Calibre.. But some problems are hard to track down to the cause.

good luck

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

As far as I know, the files "metadata.calibre" and "driver.calibre" are purely files used by Calibre to store info about your device and the books on it, and are not used by the Kobo itself...
Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I'm having a similar issue. I have used calibre with few problems for a year on my original kobo, but it doesn't like my kobo touch. I cannot load some books (others work no problem). I "send to device - main memory" and eject my touch. There is then no "Processing content" screen and the books don't go to the device. I deleted the two files metadata.calibre and driver.calibre as well - nothing. But I know the books are there because you can see them in the directory. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling calibre but it doesn't work, tried 8.10 and 8.7 - still no luck. I've given up and I'm reading the books sideloaded from ADE
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote