Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 04:06 AM   #46
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_dawg View Post
@hans: I could use a US credit card, but there is still IP blocking. I could get around that by using proxies, which I wouldn't trust with my credit card info, or a VPN, which I would have to pay for. It's not worth my time to jump through hoops in an attempt to pay for something that it takes me 5 minutes to get for free. I could waste my money and my time to support stupid policies, or I can protest them in a way that makes my life easier.
I just tried to create a US Paypal account but linking my debit card scuppers the whole attempt. Aussie based card and Aussie address noted.

No joy there at all.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #47
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lente View Post
The same here, don't you wish that that little angel on your shoulder would go on vacation sometimes?
Oh definitely....
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 04:08 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Since Amazon.com bought Audible.com a few years ago, the exact same thing is happening to my audiobooks ie. not available to my geographical location. What a joke that the publishers don't want or need our money. A click or two of the mouse later - any any ebook, or audiobook I want, can be downloading to my PC FOR FREE. Don't they understand that?
Hmm, Audible had geographic restrictions even before Amazon bought it.

But yes, I think they are driving people to the dark side.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 AM   #49
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
This is something I am baulking at doing. It may not be wholly illegal, considering that these options are almost a last resort in order to be able to buy the book you want, but my morality meter is beeping at me.
Well, my morality meter doesn't really care about the contractual agreement between the seller and the publisher. After all, I am a paying customer and they didn't stop me.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #50
sabredog

I am rapidly coming to that conclusion. But assuming a US based address still feels "not right" to me
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 AM   #51
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_dawg View Post
@hans: I could use a US credit card, but there is still IP blocking. I could get around that by using proxies, which I wouldn't trust with my credit card info, or a VPN, which I would have to pay for. It's not worth my time to jump through hoops in an attempt to pay for something that it takes me 5 minutes to get for free. I could waste my money and my time to support stupid policies, or I can protest them in a way that makes my life easier.
You could have family or friend set up a web server or a VPN tunnel for you. I have that to Germany, because they restrict the freebies to local IPs. Won't cost a thing. And usually you won't need a VPN, even if you pay for one, it is still a question of how many books you buy, you might get back your money pretty quickly.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
You got my curiosity up - in what country is it illegal to lie about your location? Intent to defraud is illegal, but nothing about your stated location implies fraud. I am sure it would be breaking a company rule - but with some exceptions (DMCA in USA) they can't make what they don't like illegal.

Robert
Aren't I committing fraud if I lie about my location so I can do things I wouldn't be allowed to do otherwise?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #53
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Well I'm in Angola (that's Africa!), and as far as I can tell you perhaps Europe is even better than here when speaking about Geo restrictions.
The point is that most of the ebook you find you are not allowed to buy it, (and there is not local ebookstore selling English or version the local language ) and they are monitoring your IP address to see if you are telling the truth about your location.
Using proxies for online shopping is a risk, so,
Go to the dark-net but you find only scanned pdf of the ebook (are not good to read on a ereader with 6" like Sony 505). (If you know any dark website that offers epub please PM me).

So when you WANT TO READ SO BADLY the book you need to search for every online ebookstore you can, to find one ebookstore THAT BELIEVES IN WHAT YOU TELL ABOUT YOUR LOCATION ON THE FORM.
Its a lot of time, I wish there was some dark website to get epub (not that scanned pdfs)!

Last edited by sergiodongala; 02-08-2010 at 05:26 AM.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #54
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Angola? Yeah, you would win for sure in the impossible to buy stakes, compared to the rest of us!

Epub is starting to become more common online - but you are probably only likely to find newer uploaded stuff in that format, I think.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #55
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Exactly. It's due to publishing contracts and territorial divisions....
Exactly: qv my note on why publishers don't get it. They have Directors of UK sales or US sales or Europena sales or North American sales; they don't have Directors of worldwide sales.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #56
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
I heartily agree. I don't object violently to differential pricing in different markets but I do object to restrictions on sales in markets where the local publisher can't even be bothered to bring an ebook to market.

It's about time authors and agents started to insist on clauses in contracts removing geographical restrictions on ebooks where the publisher in question fails to actually produce an ebook edition - no UK ebook edition, no restriction on UK buyers purchasing from elsewhere. At the moment authors appear to be simply giving away the right to earn from ebooks in backward markets like the UK.

Roll on the day when Amazon (and others) start to bid for ebook rights and publish directly...
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #57
RedHeadPeter
Enthusiast
RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedHeadPeter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook
It gets really really frustrating when we are reduced to discussing the most/least illegal ways of obtaining something because some stupid publisher/bookseller (I don't care which - I just want it) decides I can't have the e-book version. I can buy the paper version any which way I like - have you ever had Amazon.com refuse to ship a book to the UK? I could order it for delivery to an address in the USA and have a friend ship it. Nothing illegal there.

Wake up you stupid book industry - anyone would think 19th century publishers were still running the show.
RedHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #58
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
Exactly: qv my note on why publishers don't get it. They have Directors of UK sales or US sales or Europena sales or North American sales; they don't have Directors of worldwide sales.
Either of them snagging extra sales elsewhere still makes them look good though...
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post

Roll on the day when Amazon (and others) start to bid for ebook rights and publish directly...
That has gone out the window with the MacMillan take-over.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #60
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPeter View Post
Wake up you stupid book industry - anyone would think 19th century publishers were still running the show.
19th Century publishers might actually be an improvement. What we have now are 21st century conglomerates that needed a tax write-off, so they bought publishing houses that operate on rules created in the US in the 1930s for magazine distribution.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geographical restriction