Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 AM   #196
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lente View Post
If only I lived in the US...
I think you have been drinking too much Coke my friend...

Unless you are stuck in some particularly nasty part of the third world, what would you like to live there for? The way they run their foreign policy (starting wars, trade embargos, littering the world with military bases and pushing their hypocritical ideology...) Everyone else is getting very fed up with them!

Anything that you might like from the US (and lots of things you might not like) is available outside the US borders.

If you want to buy some particular gadget that is currently only available there, just use a delivery service like USAmail and similar.

If you are unfortunate enough to live in a country that is under US trade embargo, then just order what you need from Europe instead.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #197
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Oh and one more thing: While the crazy current copyright laws (crazy - 20 years from now, people will laugh at them!!) are in place; then buy what you legal CAN purchase in light of financial circumstances and geographical location. For everything else... the internet is big and the copyright enforces are few... Seek and ye shall find....
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #198
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I don't agree with the Apple and Amazon special cases, where they are guaranteed the lowest prices, in an ideal world publishers should set a 'wholesale' price to the bookstores, who can then charge whatever they like at retail.
This was the original system but (if reports are accurate) Amazon was selling ebooks up to $5 below costs. Amazon was losing money on many bestsellers. Their competitors cant compete with that and Apple refused to do so.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #199
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
From that:
"[...] allowing Amazon to pick a price point, sell at that price point, and only pay the publisher a percentage royalty, rather than a fixed discount off a (publisher-set) SRP.

Amazon got what they wanted at first, because they were the biggest ebook vendor; if you're the only game in town you can play hardball. Apple broke this perception earlier this year when they proposed an alternative model: neither wholesaler nor publisher, but agent, taking a commission on whatever the publishers sold their books for."

If this is an accurate description of the pre-Agency 5 situation, I'm not surprised they did their deal with Apple, and I think they were perfectly correct to do so.
The ideal that you would hand your product over to someone else, who would have complete authority to set the price and pay you a percentage, is ridiculous.
I don't agree with the Apple and Amazon special cases, where they are guaranteed the lowest prices, in an ideal world publishers should set a 'wholesale' price to the bookstores, who can then charge whatever they like at retail.

In the UK that was called *Retail price maintenance* i.e. price fixing - and if I am right was judged illegal many years ago.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #200
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Quote:
in an ideal world publishers should set a 'wholesale' price to the bookstores, who can then charge whatever they like at retail.
In the UK that was called *Retail price maintenance* i.e. price fixing - and if I am right was judged illegal many years ago.
No, the UK Net Book Agreement fixed the retail prices of books, what the retailer charged the customer. That exactly the opposite of what I said, where the publisher sets a wholesale price for the book, and allows the retailer to charge the customer whatever price they like.

Last edited by murraypaul; 09-21-2010 at 06:03 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
geographical restriction