Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
Keetmommy
Keetmommy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Visually Impared 9 year old

My DD is VI due to a brain tumor she worked with a kindle last night and did amazing and I think we are going to buy here one soon, reading was much easier and she didn't quit as soon with it....made both DH and I really .

My other dd has a Nook, the text and spacing arent adjusted enough,

The thing I don't like about the kindle is that you can't check books out from the library like you can with the Nook and Sony Ereader, I am going to look at the ereader and see how the text can get...

So any suggestions for us? I know she should qualify for using bookshare, wondering if I can get them on the kindle?

Thanks for suggestions
Keetmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know how adjustable the Sony's are but you might want to look at something like the 950. It has a 7 inch screen and can read ebooks. You could play with one at Best Buy and see if it lets you play with it enough to see if it can be adjusted.

On the other hand, the Kindle also has Text to Speech which might be something that helps your daughter keep up with her reading if her eyes get tired or she is struggling with reading.

Good luck
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keetmommy View Post
My DD is VI due to a brain tumor
I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest idea what this means. What do "DD" and "VI" stand for? My initial thought was Roman numerals, but that makes no sense...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
DD probably is Darling Daughter or Dearest Daughter. VI is visually impaired.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest idea what this means. What do "DD" and "VI" stand for? My initial thought was Roman numerals, but that makes no sense...
DD most likely means Dear Daughter.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
have you looked into the nook color, it is an LCD based ereader but comes with a lot more features and more space lining , different colored reading backgrounds, and sharper text plus color children's books etc.

Also if you put the nook color on the same account as your other DD they can share books as well.

Plus on the childrens books it has a "Read To Me" feature that is an actual voice.

I think with the sharper contrast and screen with an LCD based ereader,might be a better choice.

something to consider as well.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
DD probably is Darling Daughter or Dearest Daughter. VI is visually impaired.
Ah. Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote