Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
jocampo are you saying I can not buy books from Sony or Borders and about a hundred other places as well as borrow books from public libraries with a nook or nookcolor??
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
What? are you kidding me? If that was the case they wouldn't support multiple formats.
The fact that the nook color doesn't have access to the Android market place is more to the fact that it is a dedicated eReader.
It's User interface is all about ereading and features that are just not possible on eink.

I don't know what Barnes and Noble did to you but man you just pump out more lies and misinformation. this is crazy.

and you seriously need to stop confusing people about ePub

Google does NOT USE proprietar DRM on ePub
Fictionwise does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Kobo does NOT use Proprietary DRM on ePub
Borders does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Librarys do not use Proprietary DRM on ePub

they all use a ADOBE Digital Reader which is supported on ALL devices except for the Kindle.

But you know this already but yet you still keep telling people ALL online bookstores slap their OWN DRM on their books.

People use these forums for help.
Yes, the Nook Color is locked in order to force people to buy from Barnes and Noble store. They make zero money if you to Google and any other place and download a book for free. That is the main reason why they do not unlocked the device.

I am not confusing anyone.

The true is that the advantage is on books which has been formatted (epub or whatever other format) without DRM protection. If you buy from Barnes and Noble, you cannot read your books in any other place unless you break the encryption, which put those books at same condition that any other azw format or Kindle book.

Whatever comes or is in epub, without DRM encryption, can be read in a Kindle via Calibre conversion! It takes 60 seconds to do it!

Last edited by jocampo; 01-19-2011 at 02:12 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Yes, the Nook Color is locked in order to force people to buy from Barnes and Noble store. They make zero money if you to Google and any other place and download a book for free. That is the main reason why they do not unlocked the device.

I am not confusing anyone.

The true is that the advantage is on books which has been formatted (epub or whatever other format) without DRM protection. If you buy from Barnes and Noble, you cannot read your books in any other place unless you break the encryption, which put those books at same condition that any other azw format or Kindle book.

Whatever comes or is in epub, without DRM encryption, can be read in a Kindle via Calibre conversion! It takes 60 seconds to do it!

Wow Joe your first sentence is not only flat out false, it might be bordering on lying. If actually did own the nook color then it would be flat out lying.

How can you honestly say that Barnes and Noble locks you in to only buying from their bookstore? You know that's not true.

I bought 3 books from Google just to give it a test run.

You claim you have owned them in the past, how can you make that claim?

I seriously would like to know.

You know just as well as I do people can purchase books from anywhere that sells epub and the Nook and the nook color supports Adobe Digital.

Loving the fact my wife subscribes to Kobo books, was loving the 30% off coupons they were running throughout December.

You are implying and misleading People into thinking the Nook only allows their own books to be read on it.

Why would you makes such a claim?

First you make a claim that ALL USA On line bookstores use their OWN DRM - False

You then make a claim that the nook color is locked into only buying books from the BN bookstore --- False

You claim you are running Honeycomb on your phone --- False (though I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you just got your software versions mixed up)

But damn Joe All the False information you are purposley spreading. why? I'm sure you are passionate about your Kindle, but to resort to these type of tatics?

and oh IanDX had question for you,the post just above your last, that I would be interested in hearing your answer.

Last edited by boswd; 01-19-2011 at 09:19 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
and you seriously need to stop confusing people about ePub

Google does NOT USE proprietar DRM on ePub
Fictionwise does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Kobo does NOT use Proprietary DRM on ePub
Borders does NOT use proprietary DRM on ePub
Librarys do not use Proprietary DRM on ePub

they all use a ADOBE Digital Reader which is supported on ALL devices except for the Kindle.
You have stated this before, and it's completely wrong. ADE DRM is a proprietary DRM mechanism. It's Adobe's property; that's why it's called "Adobe Digital Editions". All the bookstores you list use Adobe's proprietary DRM on their ePub files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow Joe your first sentence is not only flat out false, it might be bordering on lying. If actually did own the nook color then it would be flat out lying.

How can you honestly say that Barnes and Noble locks you in to only buying from their bookstore? You know that's not true.

I bought 3 books from Google just to give it a test run.

You claim you have owned them in the past, how can you make that claim?

I seriously would like to know.

You know just as well as I do people can purchase books from anywhere that sells epub and the Nook and the nook color supports Adobe Digital.

Loving the fact my wife subscribes to Kobo books, was loving the 30% off coupons they were running throughout December.

You are implying and misleading People into thinking the Nook only allows their own books to be read on it.

Why would you makes such a claim?
Read my previous post carefully before replying back. Read it carefully. I said, the Nook Color device is locked, yes it is. The Android operating system has been locked so out of the box you do not have access to all the features and whistles Android operating system can provide. It was locked not to give you a better experience but to avoid being used it as a tablet, which ultimately is what that device is, a tablet. With Android locked and most menus designed around Barnes and Noble store, people's initial and 1st choice would be buying from Barnes and Noble online bookstore, same like Kindle 3 users download and read from Amazon online bookstore. It is a marketing strategy.

Of course you can you can read not DRM protected epub books using Nook Color, you can basically do the same with Kindle 3 via Calibre.
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have stated this before, and it's completely wrong. ADE DRM is a proprietary DRM mechanism. It's Adobe's property; that's why it's called "Adobe Digital Editions". All the bookstores you list use Adobe's proprietary DRM on their ePub files.
Yes but Its not proprietary to the specific bookstore selling the ebooks.
That's my point. Anyone can support ADE, Amazon chooses not to while the rest of the ereader do.

their is no specific Fictionwise DRM to only Fictionwise ereaders devices will work with.

Google books does not have a Google DRM
neither does or Kobo or borders.

They usre ADE which yes its a form of DRM but fully industry supported DRM except Amazon.

Joe is making claims that Google and others have their own Special DRM slapped on their books. and that's not true.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
jocampo are you saying I can not buy books from Sony or Borders and about a hundred other places as well as borrow books from public libraries with a nook or nookcolor??

What jocampo is saying is that you cannot read BN books on a Sony or a Kobo because BN uses its own DRM, just like Amazon.

I believe his point is that Amazon gets a bad rap for using a different ebook format and propriatary DRM and "locking" people into a specific stores when BN uses much the same practices. The BN DRM does not allow people to read BN on devices other then Nooks unless they strip the DRM, just like Amazon.

The short version, the format differences mean little to nothing since Amazon has the largest EBook store. People usings EPub devices seem to be shopping at Amazon and stripping the DRM since they can find the books they want there and not at their stores. The EPub bookstores still use DRM. BN uses a proprietary DRM that means that Sony and Kobo users cannot nativly read BN books on their devices. ie the Format wars are stupid and highly overrated. Get the device that you are most comfortable with, buy the books you like, and get over this supposed "huge" difference which really isn't huge.

The long version.

The Nook Color is a locked device to try and force people to buy from BN. An unlocked Nook Color would allow people to download android apps, like the Kindle App, or download and read books from Google. People have to choose to root their Nook Color in order to get the full benefit from the device.

Essentially, BN is using the same type of policies and procedures that Amazon uses but people are willing to overlook it because they use EPUB. A proprietary EPub that can only be read on BN devices unless the DRM is stripped, but EPUB.

And BN choose EPUB well after the Kindle was out and Amazon was dominating the US based ebook market. Why is this important to note? Because the Nook is not an international reader so it is unlikely that BN was looking to Europe and going "But they like EPUB" when making its formating decision. More likely, BN decided they didn't want their "open" device to use Mobi because they were afraid people would buy books from Amazon. The Kobo had yet to be released, so BN would not have known about that compitition, and the Sony bookstore has always been poor, so BN was not worried about that competition. Why not allow Nook users to shop at Sony? They could safely assume that most Nook users would shop at BN since the store was better.

And the ADE DRM is still a propritary DRM that is added to books bought from Sony and Kobo. To make matters worse, it is not owned and operated by those companies but by Adobe. From the little that I have read, support for ADE is poor, there have been issues with people having multiple devices on one account, and there have been issues with library books. So "YAY" for this great DRM scheme that has been technologically difficult for many folks to use and prevented some Sony n00 users from using the library.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
That's my point. Anyone can support ADE, Amazon chooses not to while the rest of the ereader do.

their is no specific Fictionwise DRM to only Fictionwise ereaders devices will work with.

Google books does not have a Google DRM
neither does or Kobo or borders.

They usre ADE which yes its a form of DRM but fully industry supported DRM except Amazon.

Joe is making claims that Google and others have their own Special DRM slapped on their books. and that's not true.
BN could have chosen to use the same DRM as Kobo and Sony but didn't. BN books cannot be nativly read on the Sony and Kobo.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #24
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Read my previous post carefully before replying back. Read it carefully. I said, the Nook Color device is locked, yes it is. The Android operating system has been locked so out of the box you do not have access to all the features and whistles Android operating system can provide. It was locked not to give you a better experience but to avoid being used it as a tablet, which ultimately is what that device is, a tablet. With Android locked and most menus designed around Barnes and Noble store, people's initial and 1st choice would be buying from Barnes and Noble online bookstore, same like Kindle 3 users download and read from Amazon online bookstore. It is a marketing strategy.

Of course you can you can read not DRM protected epub books using Nook Color, you can basically do the same with Kindle 3 via Calibre.
Joe that is not what you are implying at all. Your word gymnastics are getting rather tiring. You were trying to tell people you are only locked into buying books through BN and thats not true.

The Barnes and noble has never once claimed this was to be a full fledge Android Tablet. Never once. It's an ereader tablet, made specifically for ereading and surf the web and a couple of apps. But it's main focus is to be a dedicated ereader.

If you want a full fledge Tablet you go out get a Galaxy S or an iPad.
The skin is designed around ereading features.
The only thing designed around it's store is it's Shopping App, and why wouldn't it.

But that doesn't lock you in to only buying from BN.
and you know this.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice
- Play Nice

The tone of this thread has shown that there are obviously differing viewpoints between TWO MEMBERS. It is not necessary to say that someone is lying - or to even use such terms. If any poster cannot remain polite, then it is better to refrain from posting anything.

MobileRead Moderation Team
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
First you make a claim that ALL USA On line bookstores use their OWN DRM - False
Quote my post, please, and tell me where in my post I said "all" bookstores. I said: "All major USA online bookstores". You are quoting out of context. Yes, all major online bookstores like B&N and Amazon use DRM encryption. Everything else in USA are just a small fraction of available ebooks.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The word "proprietary" simply means "somebody's property". That's all it means. ADE is absolutely unquestionably a proprietary DRM technology. It is owned by Adobe.

Quote:
Anybody who chooses to pay Adobe large sums of money can support ADE, certainly. Just as anybody can choose to have their books sold by Amazon. It's a free market. ADE is no more and no less proprietary than Amazon's DRM system. Both are owned by companies who are in business to make money. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I certainly didn't interpret his post as saying that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
BN could have chosen to use the same DRM as Kobo and Sony but didn't. BN books cannot be nativly read on the Sony and Kobo.

I never claimed different in fact in other Posts I have agreed the books bought at BN are really no different than the books bought at Amazon. They are specific to it's own device.

But what I was disagreeing with the notion that bookstores, All online bookstores were using their own special DRM. and that part is false. It's DRM is ADE which is can be supported by anyone, Even Amazon could change their tune.
So it's not a locked DRM to a specific bookstore.

Our friend likes to imply places like Google, Kobo and the like do use their own specific DRM
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #29
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
MOBI is not as capable as ePub
In what way? Do you have any specifics?

I see a lot of people saying this, but I can't seem to find any specific justification. I don't feel like making the effort of reading and comparing both specs, I'm just hoping to find someone who knows.

I do know that ePub can encapsulate larger images, but other than that?

From a practical standpoint, I've converted dozens of books from ePub to Mobi and can't seem to find any difference.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The word "proprietary" simply means "somebody's property". That's all it means. ADE is absolutely unquestionably a proprietary DRM technology. It is owned by Adobe.

Anybody who chooses to pay Adobe large sums of money can support ADE, certainly. Just as anybody can choose to have their books sold by Amazon. It's a free market. ADE is no more and no less proprietary than Amazon's DRM system. Both are owned by companies who are in business to make money. There's nothing wrong with that.

I certainly didn't interpret his post as saying that.
Well when he makes statements like "All US online bookstores your their own DRM", there is pretty only one way to view that.

Can anyone buy the support to sell Kindle books? That's the difference. Anyone can choose to support ADOBE, but not every can choose to support Kindle. IOW's ADE is open for sale to the Public, AZW is not. there's a big difference.