Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Bureaucromancer
Enthusiast
Bureaucromancer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Page turn speed

Ok, I basically have two questions.

First, how do the various readers out there right now compare in terms of page turn speeds? I'm using a kobo (non wifi) right now, and while I am happy with it the speed definitely leaves something tot be desired. Basically, how much better can I get with a different device, and (separate question) how much of an improvement are the new kobo's?

My impression at the moment is that Kindle is probably the best performing device, and I'd like to know two things specific to Kindle:

First, can anyone directly compare page turns on the Kindle 3 (wifi version is what I would get, but I believe they have the same processor) to those on the original kobo.

Second, aside from DRM can I expect many problems converting between epub and .mobi in Calibre? I know it works, but how messed up does the formatting typically get?
Bureaucromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
I have both the original Kobo and a wi-fi K3.

Everything on the K3 is faster. Page turns feel instant, no need to push the page turn button a few words before the end of the page like on the Kobo. To be honest, if you are going from one page to the next while reading, the difference is not significant. Where it does come into play is when you are flipping through pages. You can flip through pages on the Kindle, it's pretty painful on the Kobo. Also important is that general navigation of the book via chapters, table of contents, text search (which the Kobo doesn't even have) is also very fast. So is opening books from the home page. The kindle also reads hyperlinks used in footnotes. Before I got the K3, I was reasonably satisfied with the Kobo's speed. But once you start using the K3, the Kobo feels pretty pokey. Hard to go back. Also, you can set up Calibre to email your ebook to the Kindle's email address, giving your Kindle wireless delivery. Very slick.

Once you have the DRM removed, I have had no problem converting epub to mobi using Calibre. In fact, I have found that the epubs I buy from Kobo, once converted and put on my Kindle, look better than they do on the Kobo. Zero problem with tight margins, oddly formatted chapter headings, large line spacing etc, which I have had with several epubs on my Kobo. I buy my ebooks almost exclusively from Kobo for reading on my Kindle. That's my experience at least.

Last edited by wildstar; 01-15-2011 at 12:56 AM.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ANY eInk device will turn the page a heck of a lot faster than you can turn the page of a paper book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote