Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
maurices5000
Connoisseur
maurices5000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sony Reader vs Kindle

Hello guys, I'm interested in buying an ebook. I'm a bit fearful though.

My fear is that I will become dedicated to an e-reader that will not have the books i want in the digital format i need and that the like Beta/VHS and HD/BlueRay, i may end up with a product that is worthless.

1) Which e-reader has the most books? Kindle claims almost 800,000 books on its website. I'm assuming that does not include free ebooks. GoogleBooks boasts 1 million but i wonder how many of those are free books. I went to Google Books store and many books i found on the Kindle were not available on GoogleBooks.

2) Where can i go to check out the Sony Reader in Store? I found the Kindle at Target.

3) Kindle has no intentions of creating a touch screen. It claims it can't do it without creating a clare. But Sony claims its ereader doesn't have that problem even though it has a touch screen. How do the two compare?

4) Does the Sony Reader allow us to take notes, highlight text, and search whole library of books rather than just a single book at a time?

In many ways i think the Sony should win. They allow us to borrow library books (which if you are not sure you want the book or want to pay money for the book would be a good cheap alternative.) It has a touch screen. It has eInk like the Kindle. It has more support for many formats including MS Word so users can create their own content and load it on the Sony.

Unfortunately Amazon is my favorite book store. Possibly a good thing, Amazon may find that they run people away from them rather than towards them if they don't implement features people want.

IF you know of any other benefits of one over the other please feel free to note them.

Thanks!
maurices5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
1- Try searching books you want on inkmesh.com it links to all bookstores that carry it so you can see the formats

2-The Sony store, Best buy, Walmart- Look on the Sony website and it will tell you

3-the new sony book readers do not have glare, it is the same screen as the kindle and uses a touch screen technology that sits above the screen, it is not a coating or anything underneath, its pretty nifty and the only time ive found glare is if light is shining right on it, which Im sure would glare on any reader.

4-Sony reader IMO is easier to take notes and highlight, because you use the touch screen and not a keyboard or buttons. You can search books but I dont know if it searches the whole library (ive never tried).
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Although I second Starrlamia's answers and think the Sonys are awesome, if Amazon is your favourite bookstore, you would be better off with the Kindle simply for convenience. In any case, even if you demo a Sony Reader and fall in love with it later, I suggest you learn how to strip DRM from purchased ebooks no matter what format or device, so that your purchases don't become worthless due to device obsolescence.

Last edited by viviena; 01-07-2011 at 10:29 PM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I agree with Viviena, stripping DRM is quite easy once you look up how to do it. Then you can have peace of mind knowing that all your books are backed up and can be used on any of your devices without jumping through hoops.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Jeff Bezos made his comments regarding glare and touchscreens before the n50 series was released by Sony. I have no idea if Amazon is planning on a touchscreen Kindle in the near future but I think that Sony has demonstrated that it can be done without glare.

Any site that is selling books put out by the major distributors is selling books using a DRM. Sony, Kobo, and BN use an Adobe based DRM, although BN is different from Sony and Kobo. Amazon is using its own DRM. Apple is using its own DRM. There are non-DRM books out there but they are either authors who have some control over their e-publication rights with their Publisher or independent authors.

No one e-reader is going to win. There are going to be different e-readers that appeal to different people in the market. Personally, I think the Sonys are far to expensive, I don't like that only the 950 has WiFi, the book store is bad, and I could careless about a touchscreen. A Sony is not for me.

The Kindle fits my needs, 3G/WiFi, notes, highlighting, dictionary, great bookstore, great customer service, and reasonably priced.

I would be sad to see the Sony or Nook or any of the other e-readers go away. They challenge Amazon to build a better reader and stay sharp. They make other folks happy by providing functionality that the Kindle does not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Will using the stylus scratch up the screen? I'm wondering I think my old PDA eventually developed some light scratches where i used to try to write on the screen over time.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
maurices5000
Connoisseur

Thanks guys for the comments. Yeah the prices of the Sony is getting to me. They want a lot with out delivering much in size.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurices5000 View Post
Will using the stylus scratch up the screen? I'm wondering I think my old PDA eventually developed some light scratches where i used to try to write on the screen over time.
I have not heard anyone mention having problems with scratches on the screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
My fear is that I will become dedicated to an e-reader that will not have the books i want in the digital format i need and that the like Beta/VHS and HD/BlueRay, i may end up with a product that is worthless.
There's no future-proof device regarding that sort of thing, but since the files can be stored and read on personal computers I don't think it runs the same risk as a physical format tied strictly to one kind of hardware, such as beta.

I'll be surprised of Amazon ever goes touch screen. Glare wasn't the only reason many people don't like them. Amazon seems intent on avoiding any material technology that doesn't really enhance the products singular purpose beyond a gee-whiz effect, especially when it ups the cost.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:52 AM   #10
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have not heard anyone mention having problems with scratches on the screen.
i dont use the stylus often but I havent heard any issues.

I think the biggest thing is actually playing with each reader you are interested in, in store. I thought about the kobo, kindle and sony when I was researching but after seeing each one liked the sony best, whereas you might have preference over the look, feel and functionality of a different reader.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Yah, I was contemplating a Kobo, Kindle, or Sony ereader, and it was this forum in addition to some in store meddling that convinced me to get the sony. I think the touchscreen is anything but a gimmick, and is worth the extra 30-40 bucks over the kobo and the kindle. I can hold my PRS 350 in any way I want, and still comfortably turn pages, which is nice because my wrists get sore easily. In fact, I have come to vastly prefer my PRS 350 over physical books as well...
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Choosing between Kindle 3 and Sony i would definitely go for the PRS-650 for many reasons already mentioned at different threads here at MR. The only reason for the Kindle 3 would be the price. If that's not an option do yourself a favour and buy the 650.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Not mentioned so far is that the Sony (and other epub readers) will allow you to read library books without having to strip DRM or do any format conversions. The Kindle will not. This may or may not be relevant to you, depending on if you have any interest in borrowing ebooks from a library. Even if your local library doesn't currently have ebooks for loan, there are a number of libraries which allow non-residents (including internationals) access. The Free Library of Philadelphia is popular here.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #14
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Like you, I'm a huge fan of Amazon, and still buy lots of stuff through them even though I decided to get a Sony Reader. (In fact, I bought my Sony Reader through Amazon - best price I could find.)

Big considerations for me were the "open source" format (i.e. ePub), geographical restrictions (which have changed somewhat since I got my reader), my ability to get around the geo restrictions and my desire for a dedicated reader without "wireless" functions that, for me, serve only as a distraction to my reading.

I got my Sony back when there was still the glare issue with the screen. It's really not that bad - you can usually get around it by adjusting the angle of the screen. I have seen the new Sonys and the touch screen really doesn't have the glare issue any more.

OTOH I know folks who really want the instant gratification of 3G access to the Kindle store, and for them the Kindle is a far better choice. If you're in the US, Amazon probably has the best selection in books (and possibly at the best prices), but living outside the US even Amazon restricts availability by your residence location.

If you want to see a Sony up close and personal, check Best Buy if you've got one in the area. I source my Sony gift cards through them, so I assume they have the readers, too.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
my desire for a dedicated reader without "wireless" functions that, for me, serve only as a distraction to my reading.
I've personally never found the wifi to be a distraction. I don't even have it turned on.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote