Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you have a Best Buy near you you can compare the two e-readers pretty easily. That will give you a better feel for which one feels better to you. Also go online and compare the bookstores.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #17
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
PLEASE, when making broad-brush statements like this make them accurately. Calibre will convert non-DRMed files. You must first remove the DRM on books that have it. It is not difficult to do, but it is not a snap either. Some people find the process very easy; others find it overwhelming.
Your point is well taken and quite accurate in that Calibre will not convert DRM books. However, with the correct plug-ins installed, I import (add) to Calibre whatever book I have happened to purchase, (be it B&N, Borders, etc.) and then I email it (which also automagically converts it) to my K3 or my daughter's K3. I just have to tell Calibre where the d/l file is found. Calibre adds the new book to the library and then I just click on it and email it. The big caveat here is having the correct plug-ins installed which take care of the DRM issue.

Other than d/l'ing direct to an EBR, I don't know how much simpler it gets. The dedrm process is completely transparent. I couldn't tell you if I'm dealing with a DRM book or not... unless I know the source. And I'm an absolute novice at this having just got my first EBR less than 2 weeks ago.

Yes there is a learning curve. How steep it is depends on the user.

Like anything else in life, it only looks intimidating until you've done it once or twice.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #18
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
The size of the selection, and the fact that Amazon is the place where I do 99% of my shopping is why I was considering the Kindle but the lack of compatibility has me hesitant.
In all honesty it's the difference between a gazillion books from one place or a gazillion books spread across three places, all at the same prices. That's just the books with drm; the public domain stuff is available on all devices. No matter which you go with, there's a chance you'll run into a book that's offered on the other only. Hasn't happened to me yet, though.

For me, the shopping for ebooks at Amazon felt right because I practically live on that site. But really it's mostly a difference in whose button you click.

I'd definitely agree with the others' advice regarding the newer pearl screen. Also the PRS-350's 5" screen being a bit smaller may be something to consider, if that matters to you. The 6" displays are already smaller than the page of a mass market paperback. Personally I'd choose between the PRS-650 and Kindle, but then there's the possible price issue.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
I do realize these types of topics pop up all the time and I apologize for adding to the seemingly never ending repetition.
Don't be concerned with that for a moment. Everyone is a bit different in their needs, and the folks around here like talkin' about ereaders.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #20
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I have the kindle 2i as well as the Sony 650... Regardless of price, I would still recommend the kindle.

When I first got my kindle I found some books were only available in epub format, but now it seems Amazon has got most of them as well...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 AM   #21
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I just got the Sony 650 today after going through these same issues. I was able to get the sony locally. I am also in Canada so it is the only one I could see locally. I am really enjoying it so far. The touch screen really is nice and it is a really nice size. I like the feel of the buttons as well. Either way, I think you will love the new pearl screen. Have fun deciding!
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 AM   #22
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If you have a Best Buy near you you can compare the two e-readers pretty easily. That will give you a better feel for which one feels better to you. Also go online and compare the bookstores.
The nearest Best Buy is about 60 miles away, and not besides last time I was there they had very little inventory. Basically I live in a over-sized rural area.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
The nearest Best Buy is about 60 miles away, and not besides last time I was there they had very little inventory. Basically I live in a over-sized rural area.
OK. It is a nice way to get a feel for the devices and see which one is most comfortable for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #24
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Post #1
... It must be simple to use ...
I find Sony's touch-screen very intuitive and easy to use.

If dictionary lookup is important to you then you might like to bear in mind that the Sony's touch-screen enables words to be looked up in the dictionary simply by double-tapping on a word. The Sony PRS-650 has two English dictionaries and ten bilingual ones.

Like you, I narrowed the choice down to a couple of models. In my case, the K3 and 650. I chose the 650 for its touch-screen, ePub compatibility, the dictionaries, and Sony build quality.

I wasn't interested in having WiFi. I might have been more interested in the K3 had I been interesting in reading the latest books and if I was willing to pay Amazon for the privilege. However, there are more than enough completely free ones available to keep me busy reading for years to come.

Some people simply don't like touch-screens, so Sony is not an option for them. Whichever reader you select, I hope you enjoy your e-book reading experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
Post #6
... When I went to the Sony store the guy showed me his 650 and sure enough it was covered in finger prints, something I would not want to be looking at when I read books ...
People who don't own, don't use, or have chosen not to buy, a Sony PRS-n50 and who don't like touch-screens, often make comments about fingerprints on Sony touch-screens. I appreciate that not everyone likes touch-screens, but this kind of comment is misleading as fingerprints are certainly not a problem in normal use. I have a Sony PRS-650. I use my finger on the touch-screen most of the time and rarely use the stylus. I do not see any fingerprints. Fingerprints really are not an issue with the Sony touch-screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
Post #10
... Also remember battery life, the Kindle can go 2-4 weeks between charges, Sony is typically every few days ...
Once again, this is misinformation from a non-Sony user - it is blatantly erroneous and completely misleading. My Sony PRS-650 lasts well in excess of a week, between charges, with frequent daily use.

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #25
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Also remember battery life, the Kindle can go 2-4 weeks between charges, Sony is typically every few days. My Kindle was charged Dec 20 and still shows nearly full battery with 2-3 hours of reading each night.
Where you got the false impression that the Sony requires recharging every 2-3 days, I do not know, but it is false.

I have both a Sony 505 and a Sony 950. After 3 years of daily use of at least 2 hours and often many more hours, I still recharge my 505 only once every 2-3 weeks, when the battery level gets down to the half mark.

I have had my 950 since its release in October. For the past 2 weeks, I have been averaging 5-6 hours a day of reading on it and I have recharged it once, when the indicator indicated a quarter of the charge had been used. The 950 has gone as long as 4 weeks before requiring a recharge because the battery indicator indicated it was only a quarter full.

Quote:
If all you plan to do is read books and a few PDFs then the Kindle is typically the better choice from my perspective.
For reading books, both the new Sonys (350, 650, 950) and the Kindle K3 use the same Pearl screen and the reading is the same. I prefer the 950 for PDFs because it is a larger screen (7 inches rather than the 6 inches of the Sony 650 and the K3) and when used in landscape mode, makes reading of PDFs easier. In addition, Sony enables PDF reflow, something the K3 is not all that good at.

Another commenter mentioned fingerprints on the screen on the 650 at the store. Does this surprise you? Even the K3 on display at the local store will have fingerprints on the screen that interfere with visibility. You get all kinds of adults and children -- with washed and unwashed fingers -- touching display models.

My 950 gets a screen wiping once a month whether it needs it or not, and it usually doesn't need it. I do the same with my 505, which isn't a touchscreen model. The new Sony touchscreen does not accumulate fingerprints if used properly. Just as with the K3, if you first put your finger in the honey jar and then touch the screen, the screen will be filthy and fingerprints will show and interfere with reading.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
As others have stated, fingerprints are not an issue at all. In store you have people with sweaty or dirty fingers touching the screen all day. When I use it there are essentially no fingerprints. If I look at the screen at really weird angles (not readable angles) I can sometimes see faint marks from swiping with my finger, but only at an angle I wouldn't be reading at anyway. Also, a couple swipes with the cloth I have for my glasses removes everything anyway.

I can't comment on the battery life because I have only had my Sony for about a week, but I read for 4 days, probably 3-5 hours each day and it stayed at 4 bars. It ended up recharging on friday while I added a bunch of books.

I had greatly considered getting a kindle, but I am Canadian and wanted to buy books through kobo. Now that I have my Sony, I'm not sure I could live without the touch screen, it is remarkably convenient.

Last edited by Fayth; 01-01-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #27
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
Well, unbeknown to me, a family member got me a belated Christmas gift of a Sony 350 reader. And so far it's a pretty good little device. But I still have a Kindle on order, I never thought I would end up with two Ebook devices.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #28
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Wow, Lt. what a lucky person you are! Looks like you will have the best of two worlds. The 350 is awesome and I like it better than the 6inchers due to its crisp font. Enjoy!!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
You can never have too many ebook devices, especially around here.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Well, unbeknown to me, a family member got me a belated Christmas gift of a Sony 350 reader. And so far it's a pretty good little device. But I still have a Kindle on order, I never thought I would end up with two Ebook devices.
Excellent. When you've had time to familiarise yourself with them, it would be interesting to hear how you think they compare.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote