Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #406
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Whatever. Don't take this the wrong way but I don't care what does or doesn't work for others, only what works for me. And what works for me isn't up for debate.
Wow... don't take this the wrong way. You were saying what works for you, and others were saying what works for them. I didn't see anyone debating you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #407
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well, I thought about it a lot yesterday. I have a Touch but almost never use it. As a matter of fact the last two times I turned it on the battery was drained all the way and I had to charge it before using. I only use it when outside or in a very bright room. It mostly collects dust and cat hair. I probably use my iPhone for 90% of my reading and my iPad for 5%. The iPad is a bit heavy to comfortably hold. I use the iPhone more because it is so small and easy to hold, though a screen size between these two would be better. So I've decided it would be too expensive to buy a PW2 to use rarely. I really like the iOS devices so much better than slow eInk devices. So I cancelled my PW2 pre-order. If Apple releases an iPad Mini with high enough resolution this year I will get that instead.
Good decision, if you already hardly ever use your eink device.
Me, on the other hand... My mouth is watering after seeing that video. I could not detect a single color blotch, and holding my breath hoping that's not due to the highly lit surroundings and screen.

Last edited by xendula; 09-16-2013 at 09:27 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #408
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
My mouth is watering after seeing that video. I could not detect a single color blotch, and keeping my breath hoping that's not due to the highly lit surrpundings and screen.
Same here, xendula!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #409
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Good decision, if you already hardly ever use your eink device.
Me, on the other hand... My mouth is watering after seeing that video. I could not detect a single color blotch, and holding my breath hoping that's not due to the highly lit surroundings and screen.
The video sure makes it look really nice.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #410
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Using an iPhone for e-reading would be the same as reading a paperback the size of a playing card
And why should that be problematic? You just move the book nearer your eyes. Nothing strange.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #411
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
A closer reading distance increases eye strain.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #412
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And why should that be problematic? You just move the book nearer your eyes. Nothing strange.
Many people have problems with close-up vision - especially in later life - so unfortunately your suggestion won't work for them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #413
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I've never purchased Apple products since I didn't like the copy protections schemes for music, their premium prices and their lack of compatibility with non-Apple products.

For me only Amazon products will do. Their eReaders have replaced any need I may have had for eye glasses. I have a large cataract in one eye but can read perfectly through the cataract with the Paperwhite and Fire. That situation may have prevented any need for cataract surgery.

Thus, I purchased a 2013 Paperwhite and a Kindle Fire HDX 7 32 Gb. Those Kindles are my eye glass replacements. I'm a guaranteed purchaser of all new Kindles whenever Amazon introduces them.

Being retired, reading eBooks is one of my main preoccupations.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #414
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I've never purchased Apple products since I didn't like the copy protections schemes for music, their premium prices and their lack of compatibility with non-Apple products.
Apple has been selling DRM free music for quite a while now.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #415
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Apple has been selling DRM free music for quite a while now.

BOb
Added to that, all the Apple devices have been able to play unprotected mp3 files and iTunes has always (at least as long as I've been using it) allowed you to rip music from CDs. Now whether iTunes is good software or not is another story
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #416
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iOS makes folks dizzy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Added to that, all the Apple devices have been able to play unprotected mp3 files and iTunes has always (at least as long as I've been using it) allowed you to rip music from CDs. Now whether iTunes is good software or not is another story
See this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...dizzy/2883587/

Some users of the new iOS are getting dizzy after using it. That's one more "feature" which would be bad for folks like me.

For me its Amazon for almost everything, Dell for PC's and HP for printers. Apple is simply verboten for me. Its too late for me to change.

In fact, I'm still using a dumb Samsung phone. I'm patiently waiting for an Amazon branded smart phone to upgrade.

I've even stopped going to retail outlets for years now relying exclusively on Amazon for every product under the sun from shoes to hardware to pet supplies.

I used to buy eBooks from Microsoft, then from Sony and the last several years exclusively from Amazon. I have not purchased a pBook in 20 years.

If Amazon introduced their own branded PC and printer, I probably would switch away from Dell and HP as well.

If Amazon introduced their own branded self driving car, I'd switch to that as well.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #417
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
See this link:

Some users of the new iOS are getting dizzy after using it. That's one more "feature" which would be bad for folks like me.

OK, now I've read it all. I have suffered from motion sickness all my life. Cars. Trains. Boats. 3D video games. Heave-ho-hurl sick. I have yet to notice a problem with the new OS.

Let's say for argument's sake that a person might get a wee bit of queasiness whilst looking at something zoom in on their iOS device. It goes away pretty much right after you look away. Possibly it might even linger for a few minutes. But "I had to keep my kid home from school for an entire day because he got so sick." Please.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #418
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I am a compulsive reader who is 72 years old. My eye doctor told me my eyes were getting old and I pointed out that my eyes were pretty close to the same age as the rest of me. I recently got a phone, Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini and downloaded the Kindle App just for fun. I was shocked to find that I can read on the small phone. I prefer my Paperwhite but if I'm stuck waiting for someone and don't have my Kindle with me, I can read on my phone.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #419
sirmaru
Wizard

Amazon versus Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OK, now I've read it all. I have suffered from motion sickness all my life. Cars. Trains. Boats. 3D video games. Heave-ho-hurl sick. I have yet to notice a problem with the new OS.

Let's say for argument's sake that a person might get a wee bit of queasiness whilst looking at something zoom in on their iOS device. It goes away pretty much right after you look away. Possibly it might even linger for a few minutes. But "I had to keep my kid home from school for an entire day because he got so sick." Please.
Some folks are dedicated Apple fans and some are dedicated Amazon fans. No one is going to change.

I also use Dell PC's and would never buy an Apple Macintosh. As I remember the Dell PC's are much cheaper and have far more software available to them than the Apples. I am also very impressed by Microsoft's Windows 8 and its speed over Windows 7. I really could care less about iOS 7.

Again, its consumer preference. It would be like asking Right Wing Republicans to change over to Left Wing Democrats. Its simply not going to happen.

However, this part of the Forum is for Kindles. Would you really expect it to be dominated by iPad users? This is where we Amazon Kindle users post.

I am eagerly awaiting my Paperwhite 2013 this Wednesday and my Kindle Fire HDX 2013 on Oct 18, 2013. If you are waiting for the latest iPod, post your expectation in the iPod section.

One final note: the Justice Department recently settled a case against Apple and 5 pBook publishers for keeping prices up for us consumers. As I remember, Amazon was NOT a defendant in that case and has always tried to keep eBook prices LOW. As a consumer, that case reinforced my Amazon loyalty. I ALWAYS get the lowest price and best quality products from Amazon.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-29-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #420
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Quote:
See this link:

How odd. I have IOS 7 on my phone and it doesn't bother me at all. That's not to say it is perfect, but I certainly don't get motion sickness. Anyway, nothing is perfect for everyone. Each to his own, I say. I have been an Apple fanatic since 1988 and likely to remain so. Everything is Apple EXCEPT my kindle. I love the e-ink. if I went for a tablet, not sure -- probably the iPad mini. I am just too integrated into the Apple world. But I would probably keep purchasing kindle books.

There are people who hate Amazon for the same reason you hate Apple. They are controlling everything. It used to be Sony who controlled everything. Or it's Microsoft?
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote