Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #31
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yup. I like the idea of an IPad and I might be interested in a 7 inch IPad at a reasonable price. It would be easier to carry, lighter to hold, and I could see using it while travelling to watch videos or play games on. I don't read library books and I have been able to find all the books I want at Amazon so I have not had a desire to buy a second device.

Most days, I don't need the functionality of an IPad, I actually like having devices that I cannot connect to the internet and play games on since I am very easily distracted. I like my Kindle because it reads books. I have some games on it because they were cheap and who knows, I might want to play them one day. It is light, easy to use, and the battery lasts forever.

A smaller, less expensive tablet is interesting to me but I have not seen anything out there in a price range that I would want.
I hear ya. I buy devices according to needs. I still buy e-ink devices as gifts, for instance. Which device I buy depends on what I think will best suit the user. For a young person, I just bought a wi-fi Kindle, because fewer functions mean fewer temptations for the kid, lol.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I hear ya. I buy devices according to needs. I still buy e-ink devices as gifts, for instance. Which device I buy depends on what I think will best suit the user. For a young person, I just bought a wi-fi Kindle, because fewer functions mean fewer temptations for the kid, lol.
I love my Kindle but it is not the best device for anyone. I tend to recommend Nooks for library users, they do a nice job and are reasonably priced. Sony's do a nice job but are expensive enough that I would only recommend one to someone who wants a full touchscreen. The original Kobo was a very good basic device. I have not heard enough about the new Kobo to feel comofrtable recommending it to folks.

I do get tired of the "The lack of EPub is bad and limits Kindle users" because it just doesn't.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Yup. I like the idea of an IPad and I might be interested in a 7 inch IPad at a reasonable price. It would be easier to carry, lighter to hold, and I could see using it while travelling to watch videos or play games on. I don't read library books and I have been able to find all the books I want at Amazon so I have not had a desire to buy a second device.

Most days, I don't need the functionality of an IPad, I actually like having devices that I cannot connect to the internet and play games on since I am very easily distracted. I like my Kindle because it reads books. I have some games on it because they were cheap and who knows, I might want to play them one day. It is light, easy to use, and the battery lasts forever.

A smaller, less expensive tablet is interesting to me but I have not seen anything out there in a price range that I would want.
Our minds are fully sync

I've just started a search for that device. And no, it is not the Nook Color, because is very locked out of the box and other reasons; an iPad is too heavy for my taste. Something around 1 pound or even less would be fantastic. But let me know if you buy or get something.

My wife and I are looking for a color device, nice for short reading sessions and read Magazines. Ability B&N and Kindle app (both) on same device is a must. So far I've seen a couple online like Pocketbook IQ and Pandigital Novel White, but still not convinced. The fact that I can't find brick stores to check limits me a bit.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-14-2011 at 01:05 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
I love my Kindle but it is not the best device for anyone. I tend to recommend Nooks for library users, they do a nice job and are reasonably priced. Sony's do a nice job but are expensive enough that I would only recommend one to someone who wants a full touchscreen. The original Kobo was a very good basic device. I have not heard enough about the new Kobo to feel comofrtable recommending it to folks.

I do get tired of the "The lack of EPub is bad and limits Kindle users" because it just doesn't.
The person I bought a Kindle for has friends with 'em, so they can share books. I also found out that the kids' school is allowing Kindle use for school books. Best device depends on the person, I always figure. I've bought a Nook and iPad as gifts, too.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
For a young person, I just bought a wi-fi Kindle, because fewer functions mean fewer temptations for the kid, lol.

I like that you promote reading on young kids. Not sure if you are talking about your own children, but kudos for that. Regardless of the e-reader, reading, learning and teaching are the best gift you can give to your kids, last for life.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

I like that you promote reading on young kids. Not sure if you are talking about your own children, but kudos for that. Regardless of the e-reader, reading, learning and teaching are the best gift you can give to your kids, last for life.
I don't have kids, but I like other people's kids -- especially ones who read.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #37
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
ProfCrash, I think there has been some confusion. At #12 you said:
Quote:
And since Amazon and the Kindle are the most popular ebook store and reader in the US you will be just fine using them. People like to make it seem as if EPub is the dominant format. It is not. More stores use EPub but there are not more books found in EPub. Meaning that you are likely to find what you want to read at Amazon as well as at BN, Sony, and Kobo books.
presumably in response to me at #11:
Quote:
Madwitch, epub is the format used by pretty much everyone *except* amazon and the kindle. If you can live without the amazon store, then any other reader should be able to read epub. There are any number of devices that will fit your requirements.
When I used "everyone" in the above post I was referring to "all devices", not "all ebook stores". Since the OP originally implied that she would not be buying books (or rarely), then my intent was to advise that any ereader device apart from the Kindle reads epub. Since Amazon does not sell epub (I think it's the only place that doesn't?) then with an epub reader she can get books from anywhere, including libraries, but except for Amazon. Hence the comment about being able to live without the Amazon store.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM   #38
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Who says we are rooting to use the kindle app? I rooted and don't have it on mine.

Quote:
And since Amazon and the Kindle are the most popular ebook store and reader in the US you will be just fine using them. People like to make it seem as if EPub is the dominant format. It is not. More stores use EPub but there are not more books found in EPub. Meaning that you are likely to find what you want to read at Amazon as well as at BN, Sony, and Kobo books.

Additionally, there are smaller bookstores that sell books in Mobi format that can be read on a Kindle.

Ask yourself this, if the EPub selection was so huge, why would Nook Color uses be rooting their Nook's in order to download the Kindle for Android App and then buying books from Amazon to read on their Nooks? Or why would Sony users on this board admit to buying from Amazon and stripping the DRM and converting books to put on their Sonys?

The reality is you will be fine buying a Kindle because Amazon has a ton of ebooks and there are other stores that sell Mobi books. The supposed advantage of the EPub format is non-existant. Just because more readers use it does not mean that there are more books in that format.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madwitch58