Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Questions re format, return policies

whatever reader i get, i plan on using multiple sources for books including amazon, library, smashwords, borders, etc., so considering

purchase from amazon, convert to ePub

vs

purchase in ePub, convert to mobi

are these exactly the same as far as process and results, or does one typically work more seamlessly than the other?

the descriptions and reviews here are very helpful, but even more helpful would be a hands on trial. i've gone to the local BB but the display units were nonfunctioning. i did get to play with the nook in the local B&N.

kindle 3 has a 30 day return policy. it seems as though the nook has a 14 day return via B&N, correct? how about sony -- does any place selling sony offer a liberal return policy?

also, amazon has a 7 day return policy on ebooks. not sure that i would use it that much, as i have returned maybe 2 print books to amazon out of a hundred or so, but it is a nice feature nevertheless. do any other ebook vendors offer a return on ebooks?

thanks for the help!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
ePub is a "richer" format than Mobi, so Mobi to ePub conversions tend to work better than ePub to Mobi. You can have odd glitches with ePub to Mobi. Nothing major, but if the book uses drop caps, for example (a feature which ePub supports but Mobi doesn't), the cap will generally end up on its own line in the Mobi. For fiction, though, ePub to Mobi generally works very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
also, amazon has a 7 day return policy on ebooks. not sure that i would use it that much, as i have returned maybe 2 print books to amazon out of a hundred or so, but it is a nice feature nevertheless. do any other ebook vendors offer a return on ebooks?
Most (all?) other ebook stores have an official "no refund" policy. Sometimes, they will refund if you are persistent and if the refund is because of flaws in the ebook.

The few Kindle refund rates I have seen (in various blog posts) are very low, much less than one percent. The exception is probably TOPAZ ebooks, because a) these often have terrible formatting, and b) they are harder to format shift to other ebook readers. So it is nice to have the refund option at the Kindle Store. Note that if Amazon refunds your money they will delete the ebook from your device or app.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-15-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Generaly changed to Sometimes
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
It's also nice to have a refund option if you accidentally order an e-book (buy hitting "buy" instead of "download sample." It's much better to have a button you can hit to return the book than it is to have to call someone and deal with the return that way.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
thanks for the info. i thought that i had read that there could be some "issues" with ePub to mobi, but i could not find the thread.

the return policy came in handy for me when a book i received just really was not what i thought it was going to be. having that flexibility has been an attraction for me to amazon as a print book customer.

hopefully someone will chime in with the return policy on the readers themselves i.e. the sony and the nook.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
From what I am hearing, Barnes and Noble has a NO return policy for any reason. I have been reading some disgruntled folks over on another board having problems with this, even when the book can't be read on the Nook...

Also, I am converting all sorts of files back and forth. I have found that converting from .amz over to ePub is really easy. I have a little more trouble with ePub to Mobi.

If you have Calibre you can find a plug-in that will work with Calibre to do this for you, but you need to use your Google-fu to find it. I found the plug ins work great for amazon to ePub but the drm remover didn't work for ePub to Mobi and I needed a different program to do this.

Last edited by LaurieGator; 01-15-2011 at 05:54 PM.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
From what I am hearing, Barnes and Noble has a NO return policy for any reason. I have been reading some disgruntled folks over on another board having problems with this, even when the book can't be read on the Nook...
No returns also from Apple's iBookStore.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
I got a refund once, well, gift card actually, because a really badly edited book. That seams a minimum !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote