Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #46
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
... they have the best selection of IT books ...
O'Reilly e-books are DRM-free:
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #47
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Free 3G is for everything including the browser. It should be pointed out that the browser is limited and works best on text based sites.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #48
thegryphon
thegryphon began at the beginning.

Device: Soney PRS-350 (owned)
Sony won for me

I got the Sony PRS-350 for the holidays and just received the Sony LED case several days ago.

Many things sold it for me over the Kindle, which of course is also a wonderful product, but different. I received the Sony as a gift, but could have switched to the K3 is I didn't like it or even gotten an additional K3.

I think it comes down to what is important for you personally. Wi-fi wasn't important for me at all (I research books on the internet before purchasing). Build quality was. Keyboard not important, build quality is. Sharp text is important, portability is important. Touch screen wasn't important but sure is nice, now that I have it.

There are compliants out there about the Sony led light case, but I just love it. I'm carrying the reader everywhere (fits various jacket pockets) and even using the light when there's plently of ambient light just to punch up the contrast a notch on what I'm reading. The battery hasn't conked yet. I know this is an aside, but isn't portability an issue to consider here?

I'm not certain what the exact dimension difference are between my Sony and the K3, but I liken it to a camera. The best camera is the one you have on you when there's a shot. What good is your SLR for you sitting at home, when you have a perfect shot of the kids on your little Canon S95 at the restaurant? I feel the same way with this little Sony. I'm just not sure I'd have the K3 with me as much.
thegryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #49
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegryphon View Post
... The battery hasn't conked yet ...
Welcome to MobileRead. I bought the cover with light for my PRS-650 and appreciate its ergonomic design. Assuming the one for your PRS-350 has a similar dual-position switch as mine, when you toggle between the two positions, if the light intensity no longer changes, then it's time to change the AAA battery, as the voltage will have dropped to around 1.1 Volts.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #50
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Just got my 350, so far so good. Text and photos look super crisp as I expected. Touch screen is really nice, surprisingly so. Swipes, touches, etc are all really responsive, much more than I expected. Will give some more impressions after I've spent some quality time with it.

Will an iPhone charger work on the Sony? I've got like three of those USB adaptors sitting around, just don't want to fry the thing day 1.

EDIT: Whoaa pdf support is much more impressive than Kindle. Still has it's flaws but I can actually read a PDF in landscape with the page width set to the screen!!! Reflow doesn't seem to be so hot. First book I tried it on it was neat, although the text was all in different fonts and sizes. Second book just reflowed all the text to one line, oops. I'll keep trying it.

Can definitely see why people complain about no inbetween font from S to M. M is displayed flawlessly while S very slightly shows the limitations of the reader. XS is too small and definitely displays aliasing. Still much better than any 6" reader currently on the market, but I could see myself upgrading for a 300 ppi screen, which would also allow flawless portrait pdfs.

Last edited by brbubba; 01-14-2011 at 12:39 AM.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #51
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
... Will an iPhone charger work on the Sony? I've got like three of those USB adaptors sitting around, just don't want to fry the thing day 1 ...
You might find these related threads helpful:

Last edited by boxcorner; 01-14-2011 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #52
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
If you're willing to try the "russified" firmware, you can create a custom userStyles.css and set the font to whatever face, size, etc. you want. I made mine an just a hair larger than S but smaller than M. Russified firmware installed on two devices very easily IMO (but then again, I am technically inclined).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote