Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
Which is the Best E-Ink Reader Permitting Library Borrowing?

I am a committed Kindle 3 owner/user for content that I own, and piles of free content. If I were to get a device to share with my husband for library borrowing, which E-Ink reader is the best and easiest to use, with the best price? Kobo's a non-starter because it doesn't permit any kind of markup.

I'm also interested in the ability to annotate and underline passages in a library book and retain my notes when the book reverts to the library. Will *any* E-Ink reader permit that for books that will vanish from the device?

I'm an academic librarian, so am interested in this question because I'm thinking about the future needs of our students, as well as my own wishes for using the technology.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I would suggest that you consider the new Sony line of readers - they have great reviews, and I personally am very impressed by the 12 dictionaries that are installed in the devices. The least expensive is the PRS-350 (5 inch screen), and it's on sale this week for $30 off at Sony style. The PRS-650 has a 6 inch screen (just like your K3), and the PRS-950 has a 7 inch screen and wi-fi / 3G.

I don't know how annotation of library books works on any device, so I can't help you there.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well my Libra Pro can't do the underlining and annotations so its out. However its something to consider for your students simply becuase its probably the cheapest of all of the ebook readers, it sells via Borders. Its probably the easiest for the school to swallow financially.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I forgot to mention the price of the PRS-350: it's currently selling for $150.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
In the 6 inch catagory, the Nook is closest to the Kindle in terms of functionality and price. You can take notes, highlight, and use a dictionary although it is reported to be clunky.

The 6 inch n50 Sonys are more expensive but are easy to highlight, take notes on, and use the dictionary. They are more expensive though.

The Sony 350 has the same features as the 6 inch brothers, is closer in price but has a 5 inch screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
The notes from the Sonys can be exported to your computer with the included software. If I remember correctly, this will give you a file with your typed and handwritten notes, as well as the first 100 characters of each highlighted selection. (Actually, it looks like that's 100 characters for DRM-protected, which would include library books, and 2,000 characters for non-DRM protected material.)

I would guess that if you export your notes to your computer before the library book is due, you should be able to save them since it creates a separate file. I don't have any library books to test, though.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes the sony should work exactly like that ^
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I'm Kindle user since day one and the Kindle3 is still my favorite e-reader.

However, I wanted a library-capable device as well and got the Nook classic. For me it was a no-brainer since I have multiple BN stores near me and often hang out in adjoining cafes -- the 'read-in-store' capability is even a better plus to me than the ease of library usage.

I use all my devices regularly. My Kindle3 is my in-house reader. The Kindle2 is my bathroom reader and reader to loan out to friends. The Nook classic is my library and read-in-store book reader.

I have a NookColor, but I'm not a magazine or comic reader (which would benefit from the color screen), so it's just an android tablet for me. If I have a choice, I prefer to read straight text from an e-ink device.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
Excellent, useful information from all of you. Thank you so much! I'd forgotten about the nook 'read-in-store' feature. I used to be a fairly regular customer at a local B & N with coffee. That one has closed but there's another one about the same distance the other direction that I haven't fully adopted yet. Hmm... And my sister has a nook, so I *could* do the occasional 2-week borrow from her, if any of her books happened to be lendable.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #10
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
I don't think the nook can export your notes, so that might be a deal breaker for you. I don't know what would happen to them with a library book.
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote