Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #196
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
In my view, the most manipulative thing Kobo does is to make you search their bookstore rather than your own library by default. People with hundreds or thousands of books on their Kobo are far more likely to perform title and phrase searches on content they own than to go shopping on the Kobo store every ten minutes. No one who uses their Kobo for research can possibly be pleased with that decision on Kobo's part; one should be able to change it in the prefs.

The default search location is context-dependent. If you hit Search from within a book, it searches that book. If you hit Search in your Library view, it searches your library. If you hit Search from your homepage, it searches the Kobo bookstore. And it tells you that's what it's doing, and you can change it with a tap.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #197
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The default search location is context-dependent. If you hit Search from within a book, it searches that book. If you hit Search in your Library view, it searches your library. If you hit Search from your homepage, it searches the Kobo bookstore. And it tells you that's what it's doing, and you can change it with a tap.
I see that you responded to my comment before I'd removed these two words: "and phrase". I included them not because the search window on the Kobo home page allows that function but because I was thinking about the kinds of searches people do for research. The phrase was removed for sense before I read your post.

Compared to the processors found in tablets, smartphones and laptops, the Aura HD's is slow. That's why having to choose your own library from the HD's main page every moo-hanking time you perform a search involves an extra step that can be time-consuming if you're doing research, just as searching within several books in a row can be maddeningly slow.

My point is that one should be able to search one's own library on the first page of one's reader by default. A student studying for an exam should not be asked to connect to wifi and then be flung onto the Kobo site in moments of inattention and/or fatigue. The point should be to focus on the texts, not be pulled out of searches for books only to be thrown into a store. You're studying (at home or elsewhere) and choosing books out of your own library under a deadline.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-21-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #198
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I love the small size of the Aura and I must admit if they bring out a updated version I'll be one of the first in line. I don't understand why they gave it such a bad screen. It's fine in the day, in sunlight and daylight but it's not great in bad light when you need the light.
I don't even care for it in sunlight. I find it far preferable to read on any other eink screen in sunlight, than on the Aura.

But I will buy an updated, better one!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #199
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Therefore having to choose not to search the bookstore from the Aura's main page every moo-hanking time you perform a search...
If you're a fan of the Kobo Patcher (and I know that not everyone is) it does have an option to do exactly this. This is not to say that it wouldn't be nicer if Kobo provided the option as standard, of course.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #200
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Deleted. That was PW comparison

Last edited by Hypernova; 10-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert