Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 AM   #1
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
SD Card

I see that the Kobo specs mention that it supports only non-HD SD cards up to 4GB.
I'm using an micro SDHD card in mine that's formatted as a single 8GB partition and it's working fine. It's loading all of the books on the card and its as fast as from the reader's internal memory.
MrBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Just out of curiosity, how full is the card? Does the Kobo show the full 8GB capacity in the settings menu?
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
MrBig
MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MrBig has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, I've only got a couple hundred MBs on it so far, but in the settings menu it's showing the full size of the card. (7562MB)
Old 06-04-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

I guess the kery word is "supports" as in there is not garantee that it will work, it might cluck out when you fill it with more than 4Gb, try and do tell.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
ComingOfShadows
ComingOfShadows began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
I have a 4GB card in mine that has about 2.8 GB of ePUB files on it. The processing phase once I loaded the files took about 2 hours to complete, but once loaded the first time it seems OK.

However, I would not recommend filling the entire card, I did try filling the full 4GB once and experienced some major problems. After the 3-4 hour processing time it seemed to work ok at first but then I had realized that the internal memory had completely filled up. The .kobo\images folder was >600MB, and it did not seem that it was updating the sqlite DB anymore. Every time I powered it on I got the same 3-4 hour processing time. I ended up manually deleting the .parsed files for my content, and doing a factory reset of the device to get it back to a usable state
ComingOfShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of completely loading up my Kobo but I might just stick with my 128mb SD Card and rotate the 100 or so books I have on it.

With your 2gb card, do you just have a slight delay on boot up for checking for new content or its it lengthy?
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
ComingOfShadows

With the 2.8GB on my card the initial Processing content took ~2 hours as I loaded everything at once. After that, when powering the device on the processing new content page takes ~30 seconds or so. Sometimes after being connected to the PC there is a slightly longer delay, but nothing more then a minute or so.

Adding new items manually to the device seems to be OK, with the process time increasing in a reasonable scale to what was added for the initial sync again, but I have found that if I use the Kobo desktop application to sync it seems to trigger a full scan of the content and the processing takes ~2 hours again.

I have a feeling that the desktop app is resetting the sqlite DB, which would also explain why whenever I use it my book read count seem to get reset as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Great information ComingOfShadows thanks for the research.

I think I will use Calibre as my library and just checkout a selection of books to my Kobo, I don't really need to carry everything since I only read 1 book at a time.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingOfShadows View Post
I have a feeling that the desktop app is resetting the sqlite DB, which would also explain why whenever I use it my book read count seem to get reset as well.
You are bang on here. I tried an experiment early on where I attached the Kobo, took a copy of it's database, performed a sync, took another copy of the database, unplugged it, let it process the updates, re-attached the Kobo and took one more copy of the database.

The net result was that the Sync operation removed ALL the ePub data from the database.

This was passed on to Kobo:

Quote:
David Farrell, May 15 13:29 (EDT):
Hi Peter,

First please accept our apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We will pass your comments along to our Development Team. Thank you for the taking the time to consolidate your feedback.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

=========================================

Peter Thomas, May 07 23:54 (EDT):

I have a mixture of ePub and Kobo "non ePub" materials (the free Romance
books from http://www.kobobooks.com installed for my wife).

I find that if you delete a book on the Kobo Books web site from the "I'm Reading" section of "Library"; then Update the Kobo Desktop application with the updated list of material, and finally sync. the Kobo Desktop with the Kobo, when the Kobo is diconnected from the PC it takes a very long time to
process. (10 to 15 minutes).

From looking at the SQLite database on the Kobo before sync, post sync, and post disconnect from the PC, the sync. operation effectively removes ALL the ePub records from the database, and forces the Kobo to treat all the ePubs as new material on the disconnect.

Can these observations be passed on to the developpers for their feedback
please.

Peter Thomas
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
MrBig

I've got about 3 gigs of epubs on the card now, took 20-30 minutes to do the initial scan but I haven't noticed any slow down after that. A lot of the files are 50+ MB though so there aren't as many files to index as ComingOfShadows had.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
What type of cards are you using. I tried to install a 2 GB card with a few books on it when I first got my Kobo but it didn't show up in my library.

EDIT: Do I need to use the sync to get them to show up?

*mutters at general lack of technological knowledge*
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
ComingOfShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
I've got about 3 gigs of epubs on the card now, took 20-30 minutes to do the initial scan but I haven't noticed any slow down after that. A lot of the files are 50+ MB though so there aren't as many files to index as ComingOfShadows had.
Yeah, I definitely think my times are more affected by the number of items rather then just the total size. My card has ~1,100 items on it, so each time a full sync is done it needs to scan every file into the DB, not to mention create the 3 thumbnail images for each file.

I am surprised at your file sizes though, 50+ MB is quite big for an ePUB file. Most of mine are < 1 MB for novels with some graphic novels going up to 4-5 MB.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #13
ComingOfShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittybye View Post
What type of cards are you using. I tried to install a 2 GB card with a few books on it when I first got my Kobo but it didn't show up in my library.

EDIT: Do I need to use the sync to get them to show up?

*mutters at general lack of technological knowledge*
Currently I have a Duracell card in my reader, though to be honest I only chose that one as it was black so it blends right into my Black Kobo.

As soon as you insert the card the Kobo should flip to the Processing New Content page and scan the card for any ePUB or PDF files. Also, it will scan any sub-folders on the card as well so you don't need to worry about placing them all in the root or anything.

If your card has valid ePub files that it did not find, you may want to eject the card and then sync with the desktop app. As PeterT confirmed, this should reset the Kobo DB, then you can try reinserting the card to see if it pick the files up then.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
MrBig

I'm using some relatively no-name brand of card with a rose on it. It was really cheap, lifetime warranty though. Also, my filesizes are so large because they're entire volumes of Berserk manga. (250+ pages in some of them)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingOfShadows View Post
Currently I have a Duracell card in my reader, though to be honest I only chose that one as it was black so it blends right into my Black Kobo.

As soon as you insert the card the Kobo should flip to the Processing New Content page and scan the card for any ePUB or PDF files. Also, it will scan any sub-folders on the card as well so you don't need to worry about placing them all in the root or anything.

If your card has valid ePub files that it did not find, you may want to eject the card and then sync with the desktop app. As PeterT confirmed, this should reset the Kobo DB, then you can try reinserting the card to see if it pick the files up then.
I just tried that and the books still don't show up. They're epubs so they should show up but. I was just wondering if it might be the card.

EDIT: I called Kobo support and they said that I can't just drag a drop the files onto the card, that I have to use digital editions (which actually doesn't work for some reason when I have the Kobo plugged in) to transfer.

Since I have no faith in Kobo support I just want to double check something. Simply by inserting the SD card into the Kobo I've expanded the memory, right?

Last edited by Bittybye; 06-10-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote