Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
rxsz
Connoisseur
rxsz began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
Where is the PID on Pocket Pro, ADE and K4PC?

Surely it can't be the 23 charcters string on the last line of "About" on the Pocket Pro device.

If it is, which part? Should PIDs be a 10 character string?

I came across a PID that seems to list it as belonging to my laptop. Is that from the installed desktop ADE?

I also installed Kindle for PC. Does that have a PID? If so, where is it located? btw, I don't have a Kindle.

Thanks.
rxsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #2
TMPoole
TMPoole began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX/Mobipocket,Astak Pocket Pro, Kindle2, K3
Won't have one. Pocket Pro doesn't support Mobipocket DRM.

It doesn support non-DRM Mobipocket (.prc), but you don't need a PID for those.
TMPoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Pocket Pro never supported MOBI DRM, so it does not have a PID.

The Pocket Pro does support Secure Adobe ePub and PDF. You authorize it by connecting via USB to a PC or Mac and opening Desktop Adobe Digital Editions and selecting authorize. This copies a key onto your PocketPro that acts like a PID in some ways, but you don't need to know anything about it.

If you want to buy Kindle ebooks for the Pocket Pro, see Adventures in discovering the K4PC PID.

If you want to buy MOBI ebooks for the Pocket Pro, the usual approach is to use your PC's PID and then mobdedrm.

Both the AZW and MOBI procedures involve removing DRM, which is probably legal most places for your own personal use on ebooks you bought. Many ebooks are now available in Adobe ePub, so that is often the simplest format to buy.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
rxsz
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Pocket Pro never supported MOBI DRM, so it does not have a PID.

The Pocket Pro does support Secure Adobe ePub and PDF. You authorize it by connecting via USB to a PC or Mac and opening Desktop Adobe Digital Editions and selecting authorize. This copies a key onto your PocketPro that acts like a PID in some ways, but you don't need to know anything about it.

If you want to buy Kindle ebooks for the Pocket Pro, see Adventures in discovering the K4PC PID.
OMG 12 pages to date on the Adventures in discovering the K4PC. I'll have to read it all.

I do see a hidden folder on my SD card that's labelled: .adobe-digital-editions. Likewise on the PP too, when I was able to connect to that! Within that folder I see 2 files: activation.xml and device.xml

But, dragging a .prc book from \My Kindle Content\ onto the SD card does not seem to authorise it with that hidden folder. PP just balks and says: Not support DRM file type.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
rxsz
Connoisseur

ip rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Both the AZW and MOBI procedures involve removing DRM, which is probably legal most places for your own personal use on ebooks you bought. Many ebooks are now available in Adobe ePub, so that is often the simplest format to buy.
Can't help but grin when realising I'm in PRC, where for all intents and purposes, ip rights are non-existent. Irregardless of the Party's official stance.
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
OMG 12 pages to date on the Adventures in discovering the K4PC. I'll have to read it all.

I do see a hidden folder on my SD card that's labelled: .adobe-digital-editions. Likewise on the PP too, when I was able to connect to that! Within that folder I see 2 files: activation.xml and device.xml

But, dragging a .prc book from \My Kindle Content\ onto the SD card does not seem to authorise it with that hidden folder. PP just balks and says: Not support DRM file type.
Aren't you confusing mobi (the prc file) with adobe?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxsz View Post
You are getting confused. A PRC file is a Mobipocket file. The Pocket Pro does not support MobiPocket DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
rxsz
Connoisseur

shucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You are getting confused. A PRC file is a Mobipocket file. The Pocket Pro does not support MobiPocket DRM.
My error. I was trying out different DRMs just to see which worked with Pocket Pro.

Okay, it is epub just to be safe. Too many formats!