Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
The Readius: ask your burning questions!

The Polymer Vision team has been so kind to offer us some one-on-one time later this week to answer questions from our community about the Readius device.

On the off-chance that you've spent the last few months living under a rock, the Readius is a foldable e-reader and mobile phone, expected to launch commercially later this year. For more base information and ongoing discussions, be sure to check out our Readius forum.

So let's cut right past the rumors and speculation and get some straight answers. This is your big chance to hear what you want to know, right from the source. To participate, please post your questions about the Readius in this thread and we will route the best of them to the Readius folks.

Deadline is July 9th, 11:59PM EDT (this coming Wednesday).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Will it do the wash up for me?

What? Someone had to ask a totally irrelevant question!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
when will it be available in France ??? do they know yet which operator(s) will propose it ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Correct me if we already know this :
What will be the formats supported ?
Will there be some DRM ?
If yes, what type ?
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Here are my burning questions:

1. What ebook formats will it support?

2. When will it be available in the US?

3. What will its price in the US be?

4. Through what retailers will it be available in the US?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
1. How much will the Readius cost?
2. Which company's brand is the ARM 11? Freescale? Samsung?
3. What does the device warranty cover?
4. What is the production yield rate for the Readius?
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
Mycropht
Optimist
Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mycropht has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
QVGA?

I mean QVGA?! On a 5" screen?! They might sell some because it looks like a nice gadget but, if you ask me, they could make it in a shape of a little coffin.

Maybe I am spoiled, but I think the DPI should be double - at least.

OK, I do not want to be rude to the people who are doing their best to promote e-book readers so please ask them if they think that the QVGA resoulution is really enough on a 5" screen.

Last edited by Mycropht; 07-07-2008 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I have calmed down.
Mycropht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
1. You specify the reading time as up to 30 hours, rather than page refreshes. Why did you decide to go with time?
2. Do you expect users to be able to run their own apps on the device? If so, will you be providing any special extensions or environments?
3. Can you say anything (interesting!) about the expected network access, content availability or contract details?
4. Are their any future products/plans (you are able to share with us!)?
5. Do you use any other e-book devices yourself on a regular basis, and, if so, what do you think are their strengths and weaknesses.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Does the Readius have all the functionality of a "basic" mobile phone, i.e. could it be someones only mobile phone?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm new to the Readius concept so my questions are based on not much but my Kindle Experience.

1. Does the screen rotate 180 degrees do that it can be held with the right hand, if one chooses? ANSWERED
2. Does it rotate 90 degrees into portrait mode if you wish to look at certain documents that way?
3. What formats will it read?
4. Is the battery user replaceable?
5. Can internet access be turned on and off at will to extend the battery charge?
6. Will you be partnering with a book retailer for content? If so, who?
7. What kind of file management will it have?

8. What are the 8 SimpleTouch buttons.
9. How does one input information (phone numbers, urls...)

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-07-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: more questions
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #11
j0yb0y
j0yb0y began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm new to the Readius concept so my questions are based on not much but my Kindle Experience.

1. Does the screen rotate 180 degrees do that it can be held with the right hand, if one chooses?
180 flip is shown on the website: http://www.polymervision.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
7. What kind of file management will it have?
Well, there's a bit of information in that it will appear as a USB Mass Storage device.
j0yb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0yb0y View Post
180 flip is shown on the website: http://www.polymervision.com/

Well, there's a bit of information in that it will appear as a USB Mass Storage device.
Thanks j0yb0y! It would be cool if that demo was on the Readius site. I didn't know about the other site, so thanks for sharing the link.

Re: File Management

The Kindle is recognized as a mass storage device on my computer and I can create as many folders as I want and move files around all day but it doesn't mean anything. The Kindle will only recognize certain folders and will still present the content in the way that it wants, not the way I want. So being able to see content the way I want it organized is what I'm really asking.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
What's the expected wear-and-tear on the movable parts (i.e. folding joints)?

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
What are the expected average monthly connection charges?
Which service providers are on board for introduction?
When is the device expected to be functional in the U.S. market?
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #15
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
Does it support Wifi?
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, polymer vision, readius