Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Goodreads Librarian...
I'm one 18 29.51%
I'm not 19 31.15%
I'm cursious 4 6.56%
Never heard of it/Don't care 20 32.79%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Goodreads librarian

I am curious about this 'status'.

I mean I read the info, but sometimes real accounts make more sense to me.

How many members here have Librarian status on Goodreads? What are the upsides/downfalls from your perspective?

thanks for humoring me

ETA: Excuse the typo in the poll

Last edited by gabby98; 04-24-2014 at 03:55 PM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I see no downfall of being librarian at goodreads, no necessary work at all, and you can update the books so data are right if you're interested on it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I selected "I'm one" because there wasn't an option for "I used to be one". I wiped my old account, started fresh and never re-applied for librarian status on the new account.

That said, there aren't really any downfalls, except if you have a picky friend that sends you daily correction requests via PM instead of posting them to the Librarian's group. (Yes, on my old account, I was friends with someone who did that, but it was just one person and I don't think it's a widespread issue.)

The upside is that you can help keep book records in a correct state, if that interests you. Also, if you see something that needs corrected, you can just do it instead of posting it and waiting for someone to fix it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
In the two years or so I've been a Goodreads librarian there has been no downside. I'm a stickler for accuracy, so I like to be able to make corrections when necessary. Otherwise, I'm too busy to be very active on the site.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm one, but seldom use the privilege. Once or twice in the three years I've had an account. No downside for me.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Never heard of it
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking about it because it drives me crazy when i go to add a book and the image, ISBN, series, page info , etc are wrong. I have tried a few times, thinking I could correct it, but was not able to. Then saw the info about Librarian status. I used to work (volunteer) on another forum and wouldn't mind helping, but wasn't really sure of the demand. I hate taking on something and then finding that for some reason or another I don't have time to commit to someone else's level/expectations. (don't know if that makes sense)
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm a librarian also but haven't been active since Amazon bought them. They can afford to pay people to manage the data instead of relying on volunteers.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I hate taking on something and then finding that for some reason or another I don't have time to commit to someone else's level/expectations.
My experience is that no one has any expectations except that you read and follow the Librarian Manual when adding information or making changes. Your level of participation is up to you.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Upsides - ditto those listed above. Additionally, librarians can correct duplicate entries, which are numerous and (to me) annoying.

Downside - nonexistent (for me). The role's purely voluntary and devoid of pressure, quotas, deadlines.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #11
gabby98
Wizard

Sounds like I sh/could just go for it...so far sounds like something I can do and not work about falling behind/disappointing time wise.

Ty to everyone who has replied or will
Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
There aren't any disadvantages I've encountered.

There are many positives if you have an eye for details and use the site to catalog your library (not everyone does). It gives you the ability to edit existing entries, which was important to me since I was finding many of the books I was adding to my shelves had missing or incorrect info.

If you are accepted, I recommend starting slowly, reading the Librarians' Manual, consulting it frequently, and asking in the Librarians' group if you're not sure about anything.

Since correct covers were important to me, reading up on the standards for alternate covers—where there is one ISBN, but multiple cover versions over the years—was a biggie. There are a variety of agreed on community standards for handling issues, so read up and ask questions.

It has no time commitment; it's really up to you how much you want to involve yourself.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No downsides -- I became one, and used it maybe once or twice. I haven't been pressured into doing anything yet.
It's basically a manual way of stopping newbies from scribbling all over the book details.

In a similar way to how MR limits what a new member can do (editing posts, I think, as well as adding a signature) until you have 50(?) posts.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #14
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
applied like a year ago, then forgot all about it until now. I never heard back from them. Oh, well.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
I'm a librarian on Goodreads. Like the other have said, it allows you to add books that are not there, edit infos and covers and make sure infos are as correct as possible. Some covers are small so if I find a bigger cover for a book, I'll delete the small one and replace it. I've added numerous books in French per example from France and Quebec.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote