Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does lack of SD card support effect you're buying of the Nexus 7?
Yes, I'm not buying because of this. 101 41.91%
No, not a problem at all. 61 25.31%
I'm buying the 16GB because of this. 34 14.11%
I'm not in the market for a tablet, but I like to vote. 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #301
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
SD cards get swapped quite a bit in DSLR cameras, just like rolls of film--RAW format pics can be huge, and shooting in bursts you can fill a card quickly. DSLR owners may be more inclined to card swap in other devices, too, being used to it. In my phone, removing the SD card requires pulling the back off and removing the battery, so it's pretty clearly not intended for swapping on the fly (even if I didn't keep half my apps on there).
Notice that it was micro-SD card that was not designed for swapping. So is it really micro-SD card that are used in cameras and in other machinery were people swap card often?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #302
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Notice that it was micro-SD card that was not designed for swapping. So is it really micro-SD card that are used in cameras and in other machinery were people swap card often?
I use micro SD for everything. I even have micro SD adapters for Sony Pro Duo.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #303
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Why do you believe that microSD cards were not designed for swapping?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #304
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you believe that microSD cards were not designed for swapping?
The associated literature says so explicitly quite often. Their design and size is conducive to loss or damage and the way they are inserted into many devices is not conducive to easy access.
Full size sd cards (or micros kept in in an adapter) as are typically used in dslrs ARE designed for more frequent swapping.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #305
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I believe some cameras use micro-SD; otherwise the existence of class 10 micro-SDs is pretty pointless, as their optimized write speeds are neither desirable nor achievable in most devices other than high-megapixel digital cameras.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #306
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
YES

It really is not a matter if the card is designed for swapping or not, since the interface is identical to full size SD cards which are specifically designed for hot swapping. That means that a micro SD can be hot swapped as well. There are cell phones, cameras, and various tablet devices that use and are designed for hot swappable micro SD cards. There is NO technical reason that a micro SD card cannot be swapped and moved between multiple devices.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #307
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
There is NO technical reason that a micro SD card cannot be swapped and moved between multiple devices.
No one's talking about "can" and "cannot," just whether many people find swapping worthwhile and whether it's a significant selling point for having a slot in a tablet. The slots are marketed as a means of expanding permanent storage up to the maximum card size (16/32/64GB), which I think appeals to a lot more people than carrying around 400GB of media on 6 different cards (and probably a color-coded spreadsheet tracking what's on which card). Either way, I'm not going to get anywhere near carrying "All of it!" I'll have to winnow and manage and make decisions with energy that I could be devoting to a creative and/or profitable project, and/or jabbering on forums or playing competitive games online
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #308
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
No one's talking about "can" and "cannot," just whether many people find swapping worthwhile and whether it's a significant selling point for having a slot in a tablet. The slots are marketed as a means of expanding permanent storage up to the maximum card size (16/32/64GB), which I think appeals to a lot more people than carrying around 400GB of media on 6 different cards (and probably a color-coded spreadsheet tracking what's on which card). Either way, I'm not going to get anywhere near carrying "All of it!" I'll have to winnow and manage and make decisions with energy that I could be devoting to a creative and/or profitable project, and/or jabbering on forums or playing competitive games online
It's hard to say since so many slots are buried inside the device. I swap cards. I would not swap cards if I had to pry the device open every time.

I have more cards than I need. The only management that I need to do on a daily basis is the 2 seconds to pop in the correct card. I haven't had to juggle or delete a single thing from the device this year.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #309
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was simply referring to comments like this that appear on much MicroSD literature:

"Due to the ultra small size of the product, it is not intended to be handled or removed on a frequent basis."

You can Google that, and you'll see it's like a stock phrase.
It's not that it's not electrically designed for it, or that some devices don't have nice pop-out side slots, but pry those little suckers in and out of slot wedged next to a SIM card under a battery often enough and something bad happening is not far fetched.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #310
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I was simply referring to comments like this that appear on much MicroSD literature:

"Due to the ultra small size of the product, it is not intended to be handled or removed on a frequent basis."

You can Google that, and you'll see it's like a stock phrase.
It's not that it's not electrically designed for it, or that some devices don't have nice pop-out side slots, but pry those little suckers in and out of slot wedged next to a SIM card under a battery often enough and something bad happening is not far fetched.
I think that may be on the level of McDonald's warning that coffee is hot. CYA legalese. Micros are probably not as robust as regular SD but I've not had an issue with them so far, though I do try to treat them gently. I know someone who has accumulated a bunch of unlocked phones over the years and when he has visitors who need temporary phones he can be swapping SIM cards like a maniac. So far they've all survived, and all his "travel through Europe without roaming" ones too.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #311
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
I think that may be on the level of McDonald's warning that coffee is hot. CYA legalese.
If that were all it was, they'd say it about full size SD cards, USB keys, DVDs (they can scratch, after all), etc...they don't. Those things were designed for that purpose.
I'm not saying don't swap cards, I'm saying if you mess with the little beggars taking them in and out enough. don't be surprised if they fail more often than a full size SD card or USB key.

And by the way, The McDonalds coffee thing is the OPPOSITE of what you are suggesting this is. The coffee is hot, and the are stating the obvious. In this case you seem to be suggesting the cards do not have any concern over frequent handling and yet they are saying so anyway.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #312
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
If that were all it was, they'd say it about full size SD cards, USB keys, DVDs (they can scratch, after all), etc...they don't. Those things were designed for that purpose.
I'm not saying don't swap cards, I'm saying if you mess with the little beggars taking them in and out enough. don't be surprised if they fail more often than a full size SD card or USB key.

And by the way, The McDonalds coffee thing is the OPPOSITE of what you are suggesting this is. The coffee is hot, and the are stating the obvious. In this case you seem to be suggesting the cards do not have any concern over frequent handling and yet they are saying so anyway.
Actually I said that they are probably not as robust as regular SDs, so they are covering their asses. That's not to say that handled carefully they are more likely to break, only that they may be more prone to breaking, it just means you have to handle them a bit more carefully than regular SDs. Rather than get sued by those who don't handle them carefully they use the legalese. Your comment about some of the tight situations they're used in are also relevant. And to get back on topic, I'd still prefer to be able to swap one on a regular basis than have no slot at all.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #313
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Well, after all this discussion about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, maybe it's time for an on topic post?
The lack of an SD port is always a deal breaker for me, be it micro or macro. Since I do not consider myself an inept klutz, I do not care if the port is micro SD or full size SD. In fact, I only buy micro SD cards now since they can be adapted to the full size when necessary in older devices. In most cases I do just use them for storage expansion, but for a few devices I do use several of them depending on what I want.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #314
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there is another important reason for an SD card: getting your data off of the device when it inevitably fails. Data saved to onboard memory cannot be retrieved. Data on an SD card can be retrieved. Of course, you can use network backups to get around that. But network backups won't be as up to date as the actual saved data for most of us.

As for durability: I suspect that the uSD card slot is more prone to failure than an SD card slot, while the cards are just as durable. (Smaller mechanisms for ejecting. Smaller contacts holding the slot to the board -- and they are more likely to be surface mount only without through-hole posts.)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #315
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there is another important reason for an SD card: getting your data off of the device when it inevitably fails. Data saved to onboard memory cannot be retrieved. Data on an SD card can be retrieved. Of course, you can use network backups to get around that. But network backups won't be as up to date as the actual saved data for most of us.
And that is the most important reason to have a (micro)SD slot, regardless of whether or not you actually *need* the extra storage space - and the big reason why it's mainly those with their own clouds to sell space on that haven't put them in.

So glad my Kobo Touch has a microSD slot - so nice to not have to redownload my books every time I have to factory reset (haven't had to do it for several months now, and only once since I got a microSD, but 3-4 times before that. I also sideload my Kobo-bought books through calibre - thanks, Alf! :P - so nothing is on the internal storage other than system files.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote