Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Kindle Fire in 2012

Apologies if people have shared this before, but I was reading a short article about analyst expectations for Amazon and the Kindle Fire in 2012. Looks like there are estimations that as many as 12 millions of them will move and that there might be not 1 but 2 new tablets released next year. Is that wishful thinking on the part of some pro-Amazon bankers or will the Fire lead the way to Amazon snatching at least 15% of the tablet market?

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/23/amazon...blets-in-2012/
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I don't think it's completely out of the realm; Amazon has the best chance of pulling together the necessary infrastructure to make it happen, and they have a brand that people love almost as much as Apple. 12-15 million units is not too large a figure, especially if they can go international quickly.

I do think the idea that there would be a 7", an 8.9" inch and a 10" is a little absurd. I'm thinking there are going to be 2 different Kindles with LCD screens in 2012; the Fire and the 10", probably called something even more ridiculous - my money is on "Blaze". But who knows, maybe their plan is to flood the market in the same way they seem to be doing with the e-ink models - one for every budget and screen size preference.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
weatherman,

And how about a 12" behemoth named the 'Conflagration'?
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Redbees: the naming potential is great. I almost want them to release a 3" pad so they can call it the Spark or the Cinder.

As for a bigger one, wrap your head around this... "The Kindle Pyro."

Definitely agreed that Amazon is in a unique position to do pretty much whatever it wants.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I like the name Backdraft for the bigger model. Instead of being a serious threat to firefighters, it's the competition.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I like the name Backdraft for the bigger model. Instead of being a serious threat to firefighters, it's the competition.
I like that name!

I think going international with the Fire and any subsequent tablet(s) is the key. If they do, and that includes their cloud as well BTW, then they might sell that many. I think with the death of Steve Jobs that Amazon is in the right place at the right time and has the right infrastructure to gain a significant market share in many areas. Apple lost its driving force with the death of jobs and I seriously doubt anyone will be able to step up and take over the helm and steer Apple the way he did. I can see Apple starting to lose followers over the next several years as their products start losing the wow factor and as Amazon and others start gaining more wow factor. Apple already had a lackluster release of the latest iPhone and iPods, I expect that will become the norm in the future. The chief designer at Apple was Job's little pet design monkey. The corporate and engineering tigers at Apple will no longer have to avoid Job's wrath if they take him on, so expect the tigers to eat the monkey very soon.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
Hey Jason, I don't mean Hi-jack the thread but is Overflow still suppose to come out sometime next week (crosses fingers)?
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
Hey Jason, I don't mean Hi-jack the thread but is Overflow still suppose to come out sometime next week (crosses fingers)?
Hi, yeah, should be out the 5th or 6th. Thanks for asking! You can get release announcements on Facebook or my blog.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
How about the Torch!

It can't just be larger screens. They have to be thinner, lighter, more powerful with extended battery life. That is how you beat Apple. Anything less is a lost opportunity.

I know I maybe alone with this wish but would love to see them move to windows 8.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Historically, Amazon has several models and revs them roughly in six months. I would expect maybe one more color model in March-May.

And, as with the original Kindles, the Fire will still be a great device and usable for everything we bought it for. Supposing you really really want the new, guess $250, model in six months, the use of the Fire in the meantime will only have been $1.12 per day... and you'll still have the device. Not a bad deal really.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I agree and why I believe it needs to be more than just a larger size to move the existing customer base to a new model so soon after the first Fire tablet. I am very happy with the Fire and do not see the need at the moment to jump to the next version. Of course if it comes closer to the power of a tablet it may get the rest of the holdouts to jump on the bandwagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
Historically, Amazon has several models and revs them roughly in six months. I would expect maybe one more color model in March-May.

And, as with the original Kindles, the Fire will still be a great device and usable for everything we bought it for. Supposing you really really want the new, guess $250, model in six months, the use of the Fire in the meantime will only have been $1.12 per day... and you'll still have the device. Not a bad deal really.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I guess "Torch" is already copyrighted by RIM for the Blackberry.

I guess there are no plans right now for a 2,5" "Match" version, but you never know.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverjuly View Post
Redbees: the naming potential is great. I almost want them to release a 3" pad so they can call it the Spark or the Cinder.
Spark would be a great name for a Kindle phone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Spark would be a great name for a Kindle phone.
Then we could call it Sparky.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I like that name!

I think going international with the Fire and any subsequent tablet(s) is the key. If they do, and that includes their cloud as well BTW, then they might sell that many. I think with the death of Steve Jobs that Amazon is in the right place at the right time and has the right infrastructure to gain a significant market share in many areas. Apple lost its driving force with the death of jobs and I seriously doubt anyone will be able to step up and take over the helm and steer Apple the way he did. I can see Apple starting to lose followers over the next several years as their products start losing the wow factor and as Amazon and others start gaining more wow factor. Apple already had a lackluster release of the latest iPhone and iPods, I expect that will become the norm in the future. The chief designer at Apple was Job's little pet design monkey. The corporate and engineering tigers at Apple will no longer have to avoid Job's wrath if they take him on, so expect the tigers to eat the monkey very soon.
Jony Ive is no one's pet monkey.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote