Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #31
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by G J Lau View Post
It just seems like Amazon should perhaps question its refund policy on a book that on the one hand is admittedly not a full-length novel but on the other only costs 99 cents. Wonder if any others have thoughts on this. Maybe I'm out of line. Like I said, I just wanted to vent a bit.
Yes, Amazon/Your Book Server needs to question their own motives and actions continuously, as do we all. Perhaps novellas should not be put up for sale, rather be made available to all for no charge? Perhaps we should all be paying a monthly Amazon tax, to be distributed algorithmically to the authors who have uploaded?

Perhaps we should allow ourselves to set the prices on other's books? The readers as a group might be putting more of a time investment into the book itself, shouldn't they be the ones determining price? Or determining whether or not a book should even be sold?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Yes, Amazon/Your Book Server needs to question their own motives and actions continuously, as do we all. Perhaps novellas should not be put up for sale, rather be made available to all for no charge? Perhaps we should all be paying a monthly Amazon tax, to be distributed algorithmically to the authors who have uploaded?

Perhaps we should allow ourselves to set the prices on other's books? The readers as a group might be putting more of a time investment into the book itself, shouldn't they be the ones determining price? Or determining whether or not a book should even be sold?
Perhaps we should live on Earth, rather than in the fantasy world that you occupy?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #33
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
It might just be the book was purchased by mistake. I've once clicked on the 'one-click' button just to realise seconds later that I didn't want the book.

I do believe though that if someone has read the book, unless it contains major errors/is of very poor quality, they shouldn't be able to return it.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 08-20-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more info
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #34
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
If a particular reader makes a habit of buying books and returning them within the allowed time frame, I'm betting Amazon would put a limit on that. "Sorry, but you've returned the last 3 books you've purchased. No more returns will be permitted until X condition is met." Amazon isn't a library, after all.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #35
physics
Enthusiast
physics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enoughphysics will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
I realize you are all talking about fiction books, but the return policy is actually very useful when it comes to deciding to purchase math and science textbooks. Sometimes the preview only includes the preface and introduction, which have few or no equations in them. Then, after you purchase the book, you find that they have OCR'ed the equations and they're awful, making the book unusable (at least for the purpose of learning the material). That's certainly a valid reason to return it. (And, if you send an email to Kindle support, they'll usually pull the ebook also.)
physics is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #36
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I much rather them be to easy on returns, then not easy enough.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #37
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
They have a built in safeguard that the buyer MUST make a telephone call to an Amazon (Kindle) rep, who checks the customer's buying history carefully before authorizing the refund. I did it once as the formatting on the self-published book was horrific!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #38
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
They have a built in safeguard that the buyer MUST make a telephone call to an Amazon (Kindle) rep, who checks the customer's buying history carefully before authorizing the refund. I did it once as the formatting on the self-published book was horrific!
Not so, at least on the UK site. I just sent a quick e-mail "Hi, brought xxx by mistake. Please can I return it", book gone and refund given within a few hours. No phone call needed.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #39
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I just ignore the returns column. There will always be people who didn't like something or try to game the system. It's a drop in the bucket anyway.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #40
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Not so, at least on the UK site. I just sent a quick e-mail "Hi, brought xxx by mistake. Please can I return it", book gone and refund given within a few hours. No phone call needed.
That could be U. K. specific, or they've changed things, but I believe an employee does check for a pattern of returns before a credit can be authorized.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Heck, I've had my free book at Amazon refunded. Made me wonder what was so awful in it to antagonize that reader so. Ultimately you can't fixate on what a few folks do, just focus on the positive sales.
Yeah, I get a good laugh when that happens to me. "Your book was so bad, I want the minutes of my life back!"
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #42
Birds
JSenGupta
Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Birds can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
It is much too easy to accidentally hit the 1-click button instead of the send sample button.
Birds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, e-book, refund policy