Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
totsubo
totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How to specifiy vertical text layout (e.g. Japanese)

I am writing a book in Japanese and would like to have vertical text (i.e read from top to bottom, right to left).

My target readers are the Amazon Kindle (software) and Paperwhite and the Apple Ebook reader.

In Sigil what do I need to do to have the generated .epub contain the information necessary so those reader will lay the text out vertically?

Thanks!
totsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't think you can do it in Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
totsubo
totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.totsubo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh no ...

I was hoping it would just be a case of specifying some special CSS.

I'm still keen on using Sigil to create the content.

If it's not possible to get Sigil to specify vertical text, can someone offer suggestions on how to use Sigil to generate the base content (either as a .epub or other format) and then edit what Sigil creates do the text is layed out vertically?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sigil is for ePub 2. Also, the way it's done in iBooks and KF8 might not even be ePub 3 compliant. But that I cannot say for sure as I've not looked into this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

Here is a link to some epub examples of japanese vertical (tate) and horizontal.
http://www.kobu.com/docs/epub/index-en.htm

Hope that the css will help you:

Code:
body {
  writing-mode: vertical-rl;
  -epub-writing-mode: vertical-rl;
  -webkit-writing-mode: vertical-rl;
  line-break: normal;
  -epub-line-break: normal;
  -webkit-line-break: normal;
}
The epub is perfectly displayed in vertical in sigil 0.7.0 (win xp with japanese font... not really sure which one is actually used by sigil)

François
PS: I might have found this link in another thread of this site, but I couldn't find it again (sorry for the credits)

Last edited by fxp33; 04-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
totsubo

Thanks Francois.

Funnily enough I found the same thing yesterday and have been in contact with the owner of that page.

I gave it a quick try but Sigil didn't display my text vertically. I'm sure it's an error on my part (I'm new to Sigil). I'll try again and will report back.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsubo View Post
Thanks Francois.

Funnily enough I found the same thing yesterday and have been in contact with the owner of that page.

I gave it a quick try but Sigil didn't display my text vertically. I'm sure it's an error on my part (I'm new to Sigil). I'll try again and will report back.
Sigil uses a browser style, not a page style. Try in ADE or another ePub eBook Reader. Do not trust Sigil to display like a book reader would.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
totsubo

Figured it out! Since I am new to Sigil I didn't know that a style sheet needed to be 'linked'. Now that I have linked the style sheet my text displays vertically in Sigil.

After conversion it also displayed correctly (i.e. vertically) in the Amazon Kindle Previewer - but only in Paperwhite mode ...

One caveat though is that in Sigil the text is vertical but the glyphs have not been rotated. It's not perfect but that's just in Sigil, the end product displays correctly on my Kindle Paperwhite.

For some reason though, on my computer, the text doesn't display vertically when using the Kindle software. Something else I need to look into