Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My fall adventure

I doubt anyone noticed, but I was absent a lot this fall. Whole days would go by without a visit to MR. I was gone because I was taking several classes.

I just finished a project for one class, and I'm proud enough that I wanted to share it with you. It's pretty technical, but I bet there are a number of people here who will understand it.

I wrote a program that matched a picture downloaded from Google images with one found in a target photo. For example, I did a Google search on "spam" and then used one of the results. The goal is to find enough similarity between the 2 images that you can reliably say that they show the same thing.

I'm sure you're thinking that this is easy. Did you know that (I think) a quarter of the human brain is devoted to vision? A significant portion of the vision processing in the human brain occurs without conscious thought. Also, it took your brain years to learn how to see objects. This is not an innate ability (I've worked with teenagers, so I know this for a fact). Duplicating this ability is still an interesting problem in computer vision.

some technical detail
The project was written based on the goals set in The Semantic Robot Vision Challenge. The program was written in matlab, and I relied heavily on VLFeat library. I used Harris corners to select the points to try to match, and SIFT to describe the points and match them.

With some refinement, my program is good enough that I'm planning to use it to compete next year. Some success images follow. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doritos positive2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	41198   Click image for larger version

Name:	ritz positive1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	41199   Click image for larger version

Name:	spam positive9.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	41200   Click image for larger version

Name:	candy positive1.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	41201  

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-13-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I doubt anyone noticed, but I was absent a lot this fall.<snip>

I just finished a project for one class, and I'm proud enough that I wanted to share it with you. I bet there are a number of people here who will understand it.

I wrote a program that matched a picture downloaded from Google images with one found in a target photo. For example, I did a Google search on "spam" and then used one of the results.
<snip>.
I did notice as I always try to read your posts. They are not always understandable (like this one) but I figure I'll learn something.

Congratulations on the finished project and Good Luck when you enter the competition.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
This is cool, Nate!! I've often wished there was a scan option to match a picture to google image results...
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Sounds like a tough project. I think I read somewhere that Google is working on something like this? It's hard for me to imagine that a computer program can do something like this. Congrats on completing your project!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote