Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
SoundKloud

Coming soon-ish...

Spoiler:
For this you will need:
  • Jailbreak
  • Usbnetworking
  • Python
  • Soundkloud bundle (mplayer, prep.sh, soundkloud-current.tar.gz)
  • An internet connection!
(Don't panic the links or bits are here - or will be...)

Steps to get this working:

a) Ensure you have Jailbroken your device and can SSH to it.

b) Run the python preparation script:
Spoiler:

So.. Get Python for your device...

DX, 3, (4?) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1

Touch, Paperwhite https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1

c) Unpack the soundkloud bundle into /mnt/us/soundkloud:
Not yet available... but soon we hope.

EDIT: replaced all that other stuff with a shell script...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-soundkloud.png
Views:	370
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	97369   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_123.png
Views:	378
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	98364   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_122.png
Views:	386
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	98365   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_125.png
Views:	342
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	98366   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_126.png
Views:	345
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	98367   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_129.png
Views:	349
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	98368   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_130.png
Views:	344
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	98369   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_072.png
Views:	328
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	98787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_102.png
Views:	316
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	98969   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: root.fb.pgm_101.png
Views:	317
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	98970   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_105.png
Views:	339
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	99056   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_106.png
Views:	320
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	99057   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_104.png
Views:	321
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	99058   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_103.png
Views:	304
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	99059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soundkloud-Launcher.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	99628  

Last edited by twobob; 01-29-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: They wanted an address... It's getting close
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I almost fainted when I saw this thread...

This sounds like it could be pretty awesome.....

If you're willing to write it in python or ruby, I'd love to help as much as I can.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
I almost fainted when I saw this thread...

This sounds like it could be pretty awesome.....

If you're willing to write it in python or ruby, I'd love to help as much as I can.
I am thinking this is 100% doable. I will take you up on that.

one language is much like another to me, they all require constant lookup of syntax anyways. (Thank you Rock and Roll lifestyle)

As a comical aside (I just want to add in their defence I was abusing the beta at the time)

Pictured. Something about the beautiful symmetry made me chuckle.

EDIT: (Come to think of it... let's not use Gnash ey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_024.png
Views:	369
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	97147  

Last edited by twobob; 12-02-2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Gnash a no no for the easy win
Old 12-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
twobob

I would like to think this could be achieved using python gtk for the touch...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195046
Is that the best option? unsure.

The best option for the 3? I am utterly undecided. what are your thoughts.

I was idly wondering about piping all the sound thru something we already have for the 3. like a horrible aplay pipe. The native alsa is a bit twitchy on the 3.
All input of course accepted.

Cheers. The docs are extensive in the languages you cite.
no doubt the actual implementation phase will determine just how well documented it really is. first glance looks good enough. I did already play with something in JS over a year ago IIRC. Wasn't too tough. Given your recent google code experience no doubt you are raring to flex your new brain muscles

Music on the Kindle FTW!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I've only been writing docs and very simple hello, world things in ruby...
But sounds fun nonetheless.
It'll be a learning experience.
re the GUI side of things, I'm not sure... We could choose:
  • finding a way to do something like kpdfviewer does on the 3 (kill the framework and make our own)
  • using the commandline (for a POC maybe?)
  • using django or rails to provide a web based interface...(I'm not sure if the Kindle's browser can cope with such things, though...) This may be easier when doing the OAuth stuff...
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
twobob

All good thoughts.

I'm torn, perhaps I can coax something under X to play ball.

I remember now I threw https://github.com/soundcloud/soundc...ayer/downloads at skipstone and the native HTML5 thingy IIRC...

Didn't fly back then. perhaps now is the time as you say to just at LEAST POC something together. even if it is just a single file stream with solid playback. Right now that would be progress.

Will ruminate then
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker

If we want a fancy CLI, we could either use python-dialog or thor-cli...

Playback sounds good. Lately I've been using mplayer for all my music needs on the kindle, but I have noticed the inconsistencies...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
twobob

Hacking a bit more gets me: (on the touch)

Full (playback) GUI. no audio yet. not bad for an hours work though.

Have to check with Baf if he did actually implement the audio IIRC he did. I'm sure I asked... will go have a look. A quick win might drum up interest
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_025.png
Views:	370
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	97148   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_026.png
Views:	360
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	97149   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_027.png
Views:	318
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	97150  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
qlob
Official Lurker

I feel like we should decide whether we are using Ruby or python before we get too far...

Also maybe set up a git repo for this... If only I had git built for the Kindle... ipkg's build is broken...
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hacking a bit more gets me: (on the touch)
Full (playback) GUI. no audio yet. not bad for an hours work though.
Have to check with Baf if he did actually implement the audio IIRC he did. I'm sure I asked... will go have a look. A quick win might drum up interest
Ooooooh, shiny!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
twobob

Yeah. really cant get the audio working. hmm...

Also haven't managed any meaningful debug output yet helpful!

Ruby + python are both near " level zero " for me so I am easy ; )
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
twobob

[root@kindle bin]# DISPLAY=:1 /mnt/us/extensions/gnash/bin/gtk-gnash-bin -u "https://a2.sndcdn.com/assets/swf-6ac9f19d/soundmanager2_flash9.swf" -U "https://soundcloud.com/twobob/i-can-dream-nistrum-twobob" -v

Just fails out on syntax... here there be dragons. I'll go nudge baf.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
twobob

git for kindle 3?

Hmm. I'll go look.

EDIT: Nope, no low hanging fruit. If you can find the source and the dependencies are not too horrible I would recommend buildroot. 2007q3 TC.

libcurl4-gnutls-dev libexpat1-dev gettext libz-dev libssl-dev curl-devel expat-devel gettext-devel openssl-devel zlib-devel looks a bit of a task TBH though.

The Autotools makefile type is the easiest to splatter into buildroot however.

Let me know if you try it. Or if at least you have a bash. : )

I have about a million fish to fry, that one is not high on the pile TBH.

Last edited by twobob; 12-02-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
twobob

well after several hours of fiddling around trying to get Gnash to build...

I will have to hope baf takes pity on me. : )
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
qlob
Official Lurker

I briefly glanced at https://github.com/soundcloud/soundcloud-python and it looks nice...