Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
ericch
ericch began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus
Calibre 0.6.5 and Bookeen Opus - Very slow data reading

Calibre 0.6.5 takes 25-30 minutes to read the data from my Bookeen Opus (around 350 ebooks for 250 MB) and uses nearly 100% CPU during that time (Pentium M 1.5 Ghz, 1.2 GB RAM, Windows XP SP3). As I cannot cancel this automatic operation of Calibre after the connection of my Opus, it is very annoying to have my computer blocked for half an hour each time.
The other operations seem normal and not too slow. Any idea about this problem? A bug?

Eric
ericch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What format are the files on your Bookeen in? PDF? In that case, i suggest turning off the PDF metadata reader in Preferences->Plugins
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
ericch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What format are the files on your Bookeen in? PDF? In that case, i suggest turning off the PDF metadata reader in Preferences->Plugins
Thank you for your answer. Near all my ebooks are in epub format, only two are in pdf format. Should I turn off epub metadata reader in Preferences->Plugins?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #4
ericch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericch View Post
Thank you for your answer. Near all my ebooks are in epub format, only two are in pdf format. Should I turn off epub metadata reader in Preferences->Plugins?
With epub metadata reader turned off, it takes only 53 seconds (compared with 30 minutes with epub metadata reader turned on).

Eric
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Another thing you can do is leave the metadata readers enabled (this way it will read metadata when adding book) and disable reading metadata from the files on the device. Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface, Opus, Configure, Disable reading metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The next release of calibre will contain a faster EPUB metadata reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
ericch

15 times faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The next release of calibre will contain a faster EPUB metadata reader.
Thank you very much for the new 0.6.7 version, the epub metadata reader is 15 times faster for me.