Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
Jen
Jen began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook One - currently broken
Ebook Readers in Australia

Hi Guys,
I know a bunch of us have been complaing about the lack of reader availability in Australia. So I figured I would set up a topic for us to share any information

One of the others has poseted a link to DA direct who sell both the iLiad (Book edition Price AU$999 (inc GST), 2nd edition Price $1199 (inc GST)) and the Cybook Gen 3 (Price $599 (inc GST))
http://www.dadirect.com/

Dymocks is also selling the iLiad book edition ($AU799 inc GST), iLiad 2nd edition ($AU899.00 inc GST) and the Cybook Gen 3 ($AU599 inc GST)
http://www.dymocks.com.au/iliad/default.aspx

The only other ebook reader I have found for sale in Australia is the JetBook (one of the older generation LCD ones), it costs $410 and is available from
http://www.agizuonline.com.au/

RobertB from the very long Astak thread has said that Astak plans to distibute to Australia in the future, so there may be a local Hanlin V3 retailer in the future.

Please post any info you have on reader availability and costs in Australia here even if you have posted it elsewhere as finding posts can be difficult.

Thanks for your time and I hope you find this useful
Jen
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
The only other ebook reader I have found for sale in Australia is the JetBook (one of the older generation LCD ones)
The Jetbook has a LCD screen, but is relatively new. There are several threads, for example ECTACO Jetbook review. I doubt this will get many buyers, although the price comparison is very much in its favor, but be sure to check the return policy - see Ectaco Jetbook replacement for Sony eReader is faulty. UK customers - caution.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
jmsaw2
jmsaw2 began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a BEBook (www.mybebook.com). It's a company in the Netherlands but they post to Australia. The price is AUD365 and postage is around AUD37. And it's exactly like the Hanlin V3 and the Astak.

The BEBook is able to read a variety of formats and with the latest updates one can read mobipocket books including DRM ones (although I have yet to try it with DRM mobipocket books. It does work on non-DRM mobipocket books however).

Anyway, it's quite a good reader and certainly much cheaper than the iREX or Cybook. I've got no problems with it. If you're interested in purchasing one, there's a way for you to get a discount, so email me to find out how.

Cheers.
jmsaw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Its always a good idea to get the info in a central location.

Based on a similar idea, I've started a entry on the Wiki about where you can buy E-book readers worldwide.

I've just started , so its still quiet bare, and I've mainly got information on the UK.

If you're willing to fill in the Information on Australia, it'll become populated faster.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Wher..._eBook_Devices
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
delta114
delta114 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook, Axim x50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaw2 View Post
The BEBook is able to read a variety of formats and with the latest updates one can read mobipocket books including DRM ones (although I have yet to try it with DRM mobipocket books. It does work on non-DRM mobipocket books however).
I too bought a BeBook and used the discount - ended up costing about AUD$375 with shipping, which was much better than the cost of the Cybook or the iLiad. But with the new update it can certainly read DRM'd Mobipocket ebooks once you have redownloaded them with the BeBook PID. BeBook shipped my order the same 'day' I ordered it (they are some hours behind Australia as far as time zone) but shipping took 2 weeks - not BeBooks fault, though. The wait was well worth it.

In my quest for an ebook reader I found that the cheapest (and I use that term lightly) place I could find an iLiad that shipped to Australia was eReader Outfitters (who are US based). For the Cybook I think Dymocks ended up cheapest, however I stopped researching a few months ago when I found the BeBook for much cheaper and with upcoming Mobipocket support.

Cheers, Dave
delta114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #6
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Hi

Recently joined the forums. I've been looking for a reader to read books and The Economist/other web or pdf news articles on my fairly busy express bus to Sydney CBD every day. I've already forayed into the world of netbook PCs but whilst I love my eeepc I don't think a PC is comparable to an ebook reader in terms of weight, screen, size, usability etc.

I've wandered around the forums picking up a little knowledge on the sony prs 505, cybook and hamlin as possible readers for me in Australia and noticed they all have their pros and cons. For me the best option seems the sony with calibre. Ie buy books online in mobipocket to convert for the prs505 using the various tools mentioned here and use the calibre functions also for reading The Economist.

As we're heading to the UK and Hong Kong for a few days in a couple of weeks I'll get a chance to see both the Sony and Cybook in London and hopefully pick one up there as it's not in Hong Kong I understand and doubt it will come over here anytime soon.

Anyway I'd like to say thanks for the information above (especially the Aus pricing of the cybook - way more than 179GBP in London) and good luck getting your chosen ebook shipped over here.
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
Hi

As we're heading to the UK and Hong Kong for a few days in a couple of weeks I'll get a chance to see both the Sony and Cybook in London and hopefully pick one up there as it's not in Hong Kong I understand and doubt it will come over here anytime soon.

Anyway I'd like to say thanks for the information above (especially the Aus pricing of the cybook - way more than 179GBP in London) and good luck getting your chosen ebook shipped over here.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Cybook is currently not available in retail stores yet. It is only available from WH Smiths Online store.

It should show up in the high street, but I figure its going to take some time before they can get in enough units to keep up with demand on the website let alone get in enough units to send to stores.

If you've got time, you could post on the See a device thread, to arrange to see the Cybook with a member, and then order the Cybook from the site. But that will require you to have a couple of weeks to spend in country.

On the other hand if you're sure about which you want, it could be worth it to order it to have it sent to a family member / friends place. In WH Smiths case they do offer you a full refund if you return the product within 30 days. Their Policy is mentioned here.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I live in Sydney and I have a Sony Reader which I bought a while ago from the US. I also occasionally blog about ebooks on www.bookbook.com.au
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Thanks for the reminder Charlie. First came across your blog when I was googling the prs-505 and Australia. That blog, together with finding out about calibre and how to convert ANY book format to view on the Sony further increased my interest.

I take it you are still happy with your decision to buy a Sony ?

Thanks

M
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
charlieperry
Connoisseur

I'm happy with my Sony Reader. From what I've read I still think it's probably the best reader available for the casual user even here in Australia.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
scrumble
scrumble began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
The iLiad is available through the Co-op bookshop as well - $989 or $949 for members. The University of WA store has them in stock, and I assume the others would as well, which might be preferable to having one sent by Dymocks. Depends whether you are willing to pay more just for the convenience of getting it immediately!

http://www.coop-bookshop.com.au/book...=9789992221365
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
charlieperry
Connoisseur

I just can't get over the cost of the Iliad. $900 is a huge amount of money to spend on such a limited electronic device.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
scrumble
scrumble began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
That's true, it is very expensive compared to some other readers. However, for my purposes it was worthwhile to get an iLiad because of the larger screen and note taking ability. I read and annotate a huge number of pdfs and it's proving invaluable
scrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieperry View Post
I just can't get over the cost of the Iliad. $900 is a huge amount of money to spend on such a limited electronic device.
How much did you spend on your TV? That's an even more limited device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How much did you spend on your TV? That's an even more limited device.
Heh... or your refrigerator, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer, automobile. These dedicated devices are very expensive. Next car I'm buying better be able to wash my clothes and dishes!

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, cybook gen3, iliad, jetbook